lp1 on fire -- One of the more obfuscated kernel messages

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
`* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServiceRichard Damon
 `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
  `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServiceRichard Damon
   `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
    `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServiceRichard Damon
     `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
      `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServiceRichard Damon
       `* Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
        `- Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServiceRichard Damon

1
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<u6dl33$5c39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11305&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11305

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service
attacks
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:13:21 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 00:13 UTC

On 6/14/2023 5:42 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 6/14/23 10:41 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> It doesn't matter what it is "from H's point of view", what matters
>>> is what it actually is, which is measured by what happens when the
>>> actual machine is actually run.
>>>
>>> Yes, the context matters, and every H creates a DIFFERENT context, so
>>> every H needs to take ITSELF into consideration, and not assume that
>>> D calls some other variation of H, because it doesn't, not if this H
>>> is the one that you want to claim is correct.
>>>
>>> Your problem is you are stuck in a world of make-believe. You presume
>>> things that are not true, and show that in such a fantasy world, your
>>> machine is correct. The problem is, that isn't how Truth actually
>>> works. You need to start from actual established facts when you
>>> reason about things.
>>>

>> When computer science theory diverges from the reality of software
>> engineering it is the reality that take precedence and the theory that
>> is out of touch with reality.
>
> So, you are admitting that you aren't followong the actual Theory,
>
> Thus you are admitting that you have been lying that you have been, for
> DECADES.
>
> You just don't understand the nature of the problem, or many of the
> things you talk about, because you don't understand the nature of Truth
> or Logic.
>

>> When both Boolean return values are the wrong answer then this proves
>> that the question itself is incorrect.
>>

> Nope, because the question isn't What answer should H return to be
> correct, but what is the behavior of the machine at the input.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<wctiM.2$I68a.1@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11306&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11306

attacks
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:47:23 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 00:47 UTC

<u6dok6$5lv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11307&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11307

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
attacks
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:13:41 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 01:13 UTC

On 6/14/2023 7:47 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So, you are admitting that you aren't followong the actual Theory,
>>>
>>> Thus you are admitting that you have been lying that you have been,
>>> for DECADES.
>>>
>>> You just don't understand the nature of the problem, or many of the
>>> things you talk about, because you don't understand the nature of
>>> Truth or Logic.

>>> Nope, because the question isn't What answer should H return to be
>>> correct, but what is the behavior of the machine at the input.
>>
>> When the input to H is defined to do the opposite of whatever H says it
>> will do then the halt status question posed to H is self-contradictory
>> even if it is not self-contradictory when posed to any other termination
>> analyzer.
>
> Nope, because the program H must exist before the program D does, so the
> pnly self-contradictory question is how to design H to succeed. This is
> what makes a correct H impossible.
>
> I think part of your problem is you don't even understand what an actual
> program/machine is. It isn't just some nebulous definition of desired
> behavior, but needs to be actual detailed step-by-step instructions of
> what is going to happen based on the input.
>
> Your "Hypothetical" H that both correctly simulates its input, but also
> stops and gives an answer just isn't possible to do in an actual
> program. You have been given the challenge to show how it does both, and
> have ducked that, persumably because you know it is impossible.
>
> Once you define your H as an actual machine, then the answer to the
> behavor of D is well defined, easily determined, and it will be the
> opposite of whatever H gives as an answer.
>

>> Furthermore it is an easily verified fact that H does correctly thwart a
>> denial of service (DOS) attack by the halting problem's pathological
>> input. This proves that the halting problem issue has been overcome in
>> at least this one case.
>>

> It may "thwart" a denial of service attack (cause by bad code in H), but
> it doesn't give the correct answer. It convicted an innocent party.
It is an easily verified fact that H does correctly abort its simulation
of D (that specifically targets H) because the alternative is that D
causes the system to exhaust its resources and crash.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<IPtiM.5$33q9.2@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11308&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11308

attacks
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:29:11 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 01:29 UTC

<u6dq7h$5pop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11309&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11309

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
attacks
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 20:41:04 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 01:41 UTC

On 6/14/2023 8:29 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Nope, because the program H must exist before the program D does, so
>>> the pnly self-contradictory question is how to design H to succeed.
>>> This is what makes a correct H impossible.
>>>
>>> I think part of your problem is you don't even understand what an
>>> actual program/machine is. It isn't just some nebulous definition of
>>> desired behavior, but needs to be actual detailed step-by-step
>>> instructions of what is going to happen based on the input.
>>>
>>> Your "Hypothetical" H that both correctly simulates its input, but
>>> also stops and gives an answer just isn't possible to do in an actual
>>> program. You have been given the challenge to show how it does both,
>>> and have ducked that, persumably because you know it is impossible.
>>>
>>> Once you define your H as an actual machine, then the answer to the
>>> behavor of D is well defined, easily determined, and it will be the
>>> opposite of whatever H gives as an answer.

>>> It may "thwart" a denial of service attack (cause by bad code in H),
>>> but it doesn't give the correct answer. It convicted an innocent party.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<pCuiM.5$EuDd.4@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11310&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11310

attacks
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<u6arsr$3o1o8$1@dont-email.me> <Sv6iM.3959$Yxn4.2146@fx38.iad>
<u6b09r$3oj1r$1@dont-email.me> <1l8iM.34944$AF%b.10982@fx12.iad>
<u6b9nf$3t9u1$1@dont-email.me> <t2aiM.19350$F2qf.3997@fx48.iad>
<u6bb6d$3teta$1@dont-email.me> <LjaiM.19351$F2qf.4750@fx48.iad>
<u6bc4s$3teta$2@dont-email.me> <8ChiM.8534$%6L8.5147@fx04.iad>
<u6cji6$1tjb$1@dont-email.me> <HnriM.1615$Vpga.1473@fx09.iad>
<u6dl33$5c39$1@dont-email.me> <wctiM.2$I68a.1@fx43.iad>
<u6dok6$5lv4$1@dont-email.me> <IPtiM.5$33q9.2@fx35.iad>
<u6dq7h$5pop$1@dont-email.me>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 22:23:16 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 02:23 UTC

<u6e14c$9vuq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11311&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11311

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
attacks
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 22:38:51 -0500
<u6arsr$3o1o8$1@dont-email.me> <Sv6iM.3959$Yxn4.2146@fx38.iad>
<u6b09r$3oj1r$1@dont-email.me> <1l8iM.34944$AF%b.10982@fx12.iad>
<u6b9nf$3t9u1$1@dont-email.me> <t2aiM.19350$F2qf.3997@fx48.iad>
<u6bb6d$3teta$1@dont-email.me> <LjaiM.19351$F2qf.4750@fx48.iad>
<u6bc4s$3teta$2@dont-email.me> <8ChiM.8534$%6L8.5147@fx04.iad>
<u6cji6$1tjb$1@dont-email.me> <HnriM.1615$Vpga.1473@fx09.iad>
<u6dl33$5c39$1@dont-email.me> <wctiM.2$I68a.1@fx43.iad>
<u6dok6$5lv4$1@dont-email.me> <IPtiM.5$33q9.2@fx35.iad>
<u6dq7h$5pop$1@dont-email.me> <pCuiM.5$EuDd.4@fx02.iad>
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 03:38 UTC

On 6/14/2023 9:23 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You have the problem wrong, since H DOES abort is simulation, D Halts
>>> so H, after aborting its simulation needed to return 1.
>>>
>>> You just don't understand how programs work.
>>>
>> You must be a bot you are stuck on old arguments that do not apply to
>> the current issue.
>>
>> When H is a termination analyzer that prevents denial or service attacks
>> H correctly detects that D specifically targets H in its denial of
>> service attack on H. Then H correctly thwarts this DOS attack.
>>
>> Now that I have every detail boiled down to 100% entirely verified facts
>> no rebuttal can possibly work. Anyone attempting such a rebuttal will
>> look increasingly more foolish.
>>

> The first fact you fail to verify is that you are even working on the
> right problem, which becomes the source of many of your lies, and that
> seems to be because you have made yourself intentionally ignorant of the
> field you are claiming to be an expert in, but that just makes you the
> Fool.
>
> H might be able to determine that if H doesn't abort its simulation,
> that its simulation will go on forever, but that isn't the question of
> the halting problem, or even "Termination Analysis". Thus, you are just
> working on Strawmen.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<FyCiM.4051$LFN7.3640@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11312&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11312

attacks
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 07:25:25 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:25 UTC

<u6f9o2$el1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11313&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11313

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
attacks
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:12:00 -0500
<u6arsr$3o1o8$1@dont-email.me> <Sv6iM.3959$Yxn4.2146@fx38.iad>
<u6b09r$3oj1r$1@dont-email.me> <1l8iM.34944$AF%b.10982@fx12.iad>
<u6b9nf$3t9u1$1@dont-email.me> <t2aiM.19350$F2qf.3997@fx48.iad>
<u6bb6d$3teta$1@dont-email.me> <LjaiM.19351$F2qf.4750@fx48.iad>
<u6bc4s$3teta$2@dont-email.me> <8ChiM.8534$%6L8.5147@fx04.iad>
<u6cji6$1tjb$1@dont-email.me> <HnriM.1615$Vpga.1473@fx09.iad>
<u6dl33$5c39$1@dont-email.me> <wctiM.2$I68a.1@fx43.iad>
<u6dok6$5lv4$1@dont-email.me> <IPtiM.5$33q9.2@fx35.iad>
<u6dq7h$5pop$1@dont-email.me> <pCuiM.5$EuDd.4@fx02.iad>
<u6e14c$9vuq$2@dont-email.me> <FyCiM.4051$LFN7.3640@fx33.iad>
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 15:12 UTC

On 6/15/2023 6:25 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The first fact you fail to verify is that you are even working on the
>>> right problem, which becomes the source of many of your lies, and
>>> that seems to be because you have made yourself intentionally
>>> ignorant of the field you are claiming to be an expert in, but that
>>> just makes you the Fool.
>>>
>>> H might be able to determine that if H doesn't abort its simulation,
>>> that its simulation will go on forever, but that isn't the question
>>> of the halting problem, or even "Termination Analysis". Thus, you are
>>> just working on Strawmen.
>>
>> *Termination Analyzer H prevents Denial of Service attacks*
>
> But doesn't get the right answer to the Halting Problem.
>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/369971402_Termination_Analyzer_H_prevents_Denial_of_Service_attacks
>>
>> It is an easily verified fact that termination analyzer H does correctly
>> thwart what would otherwise be a successful denial of service attack
>> when presented with input D having the halting problem's pathological
>> relationship to H.
>>
>> This proves that the halting problem's pathological input is not an
>> issue for actual software systems.
>>

> It might thwart a DOS attack on itself, but the program that it flags,
> if run as an independent program, will HALT, and thus not present a DOS
> attack on the system, so its answer is a FALSE POSITIVE.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<p7HiM.66$a0G8.8@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11314&group=comp.ai.philosophy#11314

attacks
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:37:40 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:37 UTC

On 6/15/23 11:12 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/15/2023 6:25 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> *Termination Analyzer H prevents Denial of Service attacks*
>>
>> But doesn't get the right answer to the Halting Problem.
>>
>>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/369971402_Termination_Analyzer_H_prevents_Denial_of_Service_attacks
>>>
>>> It is an easily verified fact that termination analyzer H does correctly
>>> thwart what would otherwise be a successful denial of service attack
>>> when presented with input D having the halting problem's pathological
>>> relationship to H.
>>>
>>> This proves that the halting problem's pathological input is not an
>>> issue for actual software systems.
>>>

>> It might thwart a DOS attack on itself, but the program that it flags,
>> if run as an independent program, will HALT, and thus not present a
>> DOS attack on the system, so its answer is a FALSE POSITIVE.
>>

> You keep getting confused by conflating two different levels of
> recursive invocation. When a program input has been specifically
> defined to confuse a termination analyzer it is correct to determine
> that the program behavior is malevolent.
>
> Prior to my work nothing could be done about inputs having a
> pathological relationship to their termination analyzer. Prior to my
> work Rice's theorem prevented this pathological relationship from being
> recognized.
>
> When H(D,D) returns 0 this means that the input does not halt or the
> input has pathological behavior that would otherwise cause the
> termination analyzer to not halt. This means that the program has either
> a non-termination bug or the program has malevolent behavior.

NO, YOU have the levels reversed because you think "Fanstasy" is the
Reality,

Click here to read the complete article