I've noticed several design suggestions in your code.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 +* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
 |+* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsRicky
 ||`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
 || `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsRicky
 ||  `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
 |`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | +* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
 | |`- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | +* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsPhil Hobbs
 | |`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | | `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJoe Gwinn
 | |  +* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsPhil Hobbs
 | |  |`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | |  | `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsPhil Hobbs
 | |  |  +- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsRicky
 | |  |  `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | |  |   `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsa a
 | |  `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 | `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsmarty
 |  `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
 `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingswhit3rd
  `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin
   `* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsPhil Hobbs
    +* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingswhit3rd
    |`* Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsPhil Hobbs
    | `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingswhit3rd
    `- Re: Faraday bags and other scarey thingsJohn Larkin

Pages:12
Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things

<6d810882-a2ba-4361-b861-33f5b70428e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113411&group=sci.electronics.design#113411

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 14:51:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 22:51 UTC

On Saturday, 31 December 2022 at 23:22:35 UTC+1, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 15:03:40 -0500, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
> >John Larkin wrote:

> >> There seem to be 10 Chinese amps per SI amp.
> >>
> >> The Bureau of Consumer Protection is a joke.
> >>
> >Yup. Way worse than even Marketing Megapixels. The 'boost button' is
> >key--lots of chargers won't work on a completely dead battery.
> The car parts people sell those kinds of chargers, because it leads to
> more battery sales.
>
> I keep a bench power supply around the house. It will charge a totally
> dead battery.
totally dead gel batteries don't accept charge

Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things

<b870e2fe-2385-4fcf-8c51-dd2be94aa3e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113416&group=sci.electronics.design#113416

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 19:26:41 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 03:26 UTC

On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 9:51:30 AM UTC-8, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:

> >> Third has lived a sheltered life. ;)

> I might remind you that you said, "Metal in proximity is all it
> takes...", which is spinach.

Proximity, in the cited case, was a sheet of metal a few mm from
the cellphone antenna, parallel to it. No antenna is happy with
that much near-field interference with its tuning for the frequencies
of interest. Radio isn't like light; emission/reception is NOT independent
of metal in the antenna nearfield. The nearfield is large, and everything
in it changes the albedo-equivalent.

Apple, notably, took a lot of flak from users when iPhone 4 was found to
lose connections when held lefthanded.

Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things

<ObSsL.2108228$G_96.1768974@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113578&group=sci.electronics.design#113578

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: mar...@invalid.net (marty)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:03:41 +1100
 by: marty - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 09:03 UTC

On 31/12/22 07:13, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 14:22:08 -0500, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 07:59:23 -0800, John Larkin
>> <jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>>> I doubt it.
>>>
>>> Put the fob in the bowl and walk towards the car.
>>
>> Good idea, and now it's warm enough.
>>
>> The car being tested is a 2018 Honda CR-V.
>>
>> The bowl did reduce range if one pushed the lock/unlock buttons using
>> a 9" wooden stick (versus one's finger), but not enough to solve the
>> problem I'd guess.
>>
>> Bowl is made of spun 0.0355" thick brass, open top diameter 7.4", and
>> depth 3.3". Base, also same kind of brass, is soft soldered to the
>> bowl, looks to be done by hand with a big soldering iron (not a
>> torch). Quite old, has no markings whatsoever, likely US made.
>>
>> Also tried a 12" square sheet of 0.062" thick brass - same result.
>>
>> A cover ought to help, but this will take some fiddling to be able to
>> push the buttons through a solid metal sheet. Although I do have some
>> copper insect screening that could be pressed into service. One can
>> also make a bag from this screening fabric.
>>
>> Longer term, I think that the entire class of man-in-the-middle
>> attacks on key fobs will be solved by moving to some kind of
>> ultra-wideband signal, where one can measure round-trip time to with
>> picosecond precision, using a crypto-key sequence that cannot be
>> deduced from received signals fast enough to matter, thus allowing
>> too-distant fobs to be ignored with sufficiently low leakage to make
>> this kind of attack unprofitable.
>>
>> Joe Gwinn
>
> Why not make people push a button on the fob to unlock the car?

That is how my car works. 2014 model. They used to get it right.
--
Marty

Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things

<7rj8rhp4v1uvn47itd3pfk7dpql3a5agah@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113593&group=sci.electronics.design#113593

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 07:53:46 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 15:53 UTC

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:03:41 +1100, marty <marty@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 31/12/22 07:13, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 14:22:08 -0500, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Good idea, and now it's warm enough.
>>>
>>> The car being tested is a 2018 Honda CR-V.
>>>
>>> The bowl did reduce range if one pushed the lock/unlock buttons using
>>> a 9" wooden stick (versus one's finger), but not enough to solve the
>>> problem I'd guess.
>>>
>>> Bowl is made of spun 0.0355" thick brass, open top diameter 7.4", and
>>> depth 3.3". Base, also same kind of brass, is soft soldered to the
>>> bowl, looks to be done by hand with a big soldering iron (not a
>>> torch). Quite old, has no markings whatsoever, likely US made.
>>>
>>> Also tried a 12" square sheet of 0.062" thick brass - same result.
>>>
>>> A cover ought to help, but this will take some fiddling to be able to
>>> push the buttons through a solid metal sheet. Although I do have some
>>> copper insect screening that could be pressed into service. One can
>>> also make a bag from this screening fabric.
>>>
>>> Longer term, I think that the entire class of man-in-the-middle
>>> attacks on key fobs will be solved by moving to some kind of
>>> ultra-wideband signal, where one can measure round-trip time to with
>>> picosecond precision, using a crypto-key sequence that cannot be
>>> deduced from received signals fast enough to matter, thus allowing
>>> too-distant fobs to be ignored with sufficiently low leakage to make
>>> this kind of attack unprofitable.
>>>
>>> Joe Gwinn
>>
>> Why not make people push a button on the fob to unlock the car?
>>
>That is how my car works. 2014 model. They used to get it right.

Mine is so old it doesn't have a touch screen.