From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 06:45:53 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 06:45 UTC

Strengthening electron-triggered light emission:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/01/230104115200.htm
A new method can produce a hundredfold increase in light emissions from a type of electron-photon coupling,
which is key to electron microscopes and other technologies.

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<6f3c427c-9969-4589-a98d-88c4f465b9c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113898&group=sci.electronics.design#113898

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:09:18 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 08:09 UTC

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 10:47:09 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Strengthening electron-triggered light emission:
> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/01/230104115200.htm
> A new method can produce a hundredfold increase in light emissions from a type of electron-photon coupling,
> which is key to electron microscopes and other technologies.

It's a way to make lots of light with an accelerator, if you can get a good clean surface of
a metamaterial inside the vacuum... not an entirely new idea.

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<tpbcmb$3f9nj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113899&group=sci.electronics.design#113899

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 09:04:50 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:04 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:09:18 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd
<whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote in
<6f3c427c-9969-4589-a98d-88c4f465b9c3n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 10:47:09 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> Strengthening electron-triggered light emission:
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/01/230104115200.htm
>> A new method can produce a hundredfold increase in light emissions from a type of electron-photon coupling,
>> which is key to electron microscopes and other technologies.
>
>It's a way to make lots of light with an accelerator, if you can get a good clean surface of
>a metamaterial inside the vacuum... not an entirely new idea.

But the consequences are, quotes from the article:

These might ultimately be able to perform some functions that currently require giant underground tunnels,
such as the 30-kilometer-wide Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

"If you could actually build electron accelerators on a chip," SoljaÄMiÄG says,
"you could make much more compact accelerators for some of the applications of interest,
which would still produce very energetic electrons."

"The new system could also potentially provide a highly controllable X-ray beam for radiotherapy purposes, Roques-Carmes says."

Many silly things like for example CERN does can be done on the desktop.
I have stated that many times here, even recently:
"If you cannot do it with those small particles on the desktop, 'then you cannot do it in a machine the size of the universe"

OTOH CERN makes probably great bomb shelters or places to hide from glowball warning eeeeh _warming_ and cooling.

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<65c4782e-0497-486a-8b6a-a80aa66f2085n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113900&group=sci.electronics.design#113900

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 01:57:12 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:57 UTC

On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 1:06:28 AM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:09:18 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd
> <whi...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <6f3c427c-9969-4589...@googlegroups.com>:
> >On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 10:47:09 PM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> >> Strengthening electron-triggered light emission:
> >> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/01/230104115200.htm
> >> A new method can produce a hundredfold increase in light emissions from a type of electron-photon coupling,
> >> which is key to electron microscopes and other technologies.
> >
> >It's a way to make lots of light with an accelerator, if you can get a good clean surface of
> >a metamaterial inside the vacuum... not an entirely new idea.

> But the consequences are, quotes from the article:
>
> These might ultimately be able to perform some functions that currently require giant underground tunnels,
> such as the 30-kilometer-wide Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

Pipe dream, since all they got is a way to make a glow without phosphors.

> "If you could actually build electron accelerators on a chip," SoljaÄMiÄG says,
> "you could make much more compact accelerators for some of the applications of interest,
> which would still produce very energetic electrons."
>
> "The new system could also potentially provide a highly controllable X-ray beam for radiotherapy purposes, Roques-Carmes says."

Not without an accelerator; it talks of 1kV electron beams, and you can't keep current flowing without a LOT
of power, or... a ring. Needn't be much (not relativistic, just a cyclotron), but it ain't a tabletop item.
And, you can't do it 'on a chip' at 1 keV scale.

> Many silly things like for example CERN does can be done on the desktop.

The big CERN item is not an electron accelerator, but a hadron accelerator. No functional
similarity to a Cerenkov-like light producer described in the article. CERN probably has
desktop machines where appropriate, already.

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<tpbt8m$1t69$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113914&group=sci.electronics.design#113914

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 14:49:10 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 13:49 UTC

On 2023-01-07 10:57, whit3rd wrote:
> On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 1:06:28 AM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:09:18 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd
>> <whi...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> <6f3c427c-9969-4589...@googlegroups.com>:
>>>
>>> It's a way to make lots of light with an accelerator, if you can get a good clean surface of
>>> a metamaterial inside the vacuum... not an entirely new idea.
>
>> But the consequences are, quotes from the article:
>>
>> These might ultimately be able to perform some functions that currently require giant underground tunnels,
>> such as the 30-kilometer-wide Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.
>
> Pipe dream, since all they got is a way to make a glow without phosphors.
>
>> "If you could actually build electron accelerators on a chip," SoljaÄMiÄG says,
>> "you could make much more compact accelerators for some of the applications of interest,
>> which would still produce very energetic electrons."
>>
>> "The new system could also potentially provide a highly controllable X-ray beam for radiotherapy purposes, Roques-Carmes says."
>
> Not without an accelerator; it talks of 1kV electron beams, and you can't keep current flowing without a LOT
> of power, or... a ring. Needn't be much (not relativistic, just a cyclotron), but it ain't a tabletop item.
> And, you can't do it 'on a chip' at 1 keV scale.
>
>> Many silly things like for example CERN does can be done on the desktop.
>
> The big CERN item is not an electron accelerator, but a hadron accelerator. No functional
> similarity to a Cerenkov-like light producer described in the article. CERN probably has
> desktop machines where appropriate, already.

Many laboratories actively search for ways to make accelerators more compact.

At CERN, we have AWAKE, using wake fields created by a proton beam in a plasma
to accelerate electrons. Another idea, still a future project, is CLIC, which
would use lots of moderate energy electron beams to generate high power RF
which is then used to accelerate a single electron beam in a parallel beam
pipe. 'CLIC' stands for "Compact LInear Collider". It's compact in the sense
that a far bigger machine would be needed to reach the projected multi-TeV
energy with traditional means. It's projected to be 11 km long initially,
and up to 50 km eventually.

Both projects promise accelerating gradients exceeding 100 MV/m, much more
than has been achieved up to present. To give an idea of the magnitude of
the achievement, consider that air will break down at about 1 MV/m.

Neither AWAKE, nor CLIC will fit on a desktop, for sure.

As for creating light with electron beams, there are many machines built
specifically for that purpose. I know of Soleil and ESRF in France, PSI
in Switzerland, Diamond in the UK and Sesame in Jordan. There are many
more. Synchrotron light is very useful for all sorts of applications.

An even more exciting development are Free Electron Lasers, which produce
extremely intense coherent EM radiation pulses from the visible all the
way into the hard X-ray domain. Both synchrotron light sources and FELs
are basically electron synchrotrons typically sized in the several-hundred
meter circumference ballpark.

Again, none of this will fit on a desktop, not ever.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<tpbu2k$3h3qt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113916&group=sci.electronics.design#113916

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 14:01:27 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:01 UTC

On a sunny day (Sat, 07 Jan 2023 14:49:10 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <tpbt8m$1t69$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

>As for creating light with electron beams, there are many machines built
>specifically for that purpose. I know of Soleil and ESRF in France, PSI
>in Switzerland, Diamond in the UK and Sesame in Jordan. There are many
>more. Synchrotron light is very useful for all sorts of applications.

My old CRT monitor now sleeping in the attic creates light
and even a color picture from the electron beam.
And fits easily on a desktop (was there for years).
I hang on to it, my personal accelerator!

Re: Strengthening electron-triggered light emission

<22851115-bc4a-4867-b7ad-f9ce2e4e5f4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113933&group=sci.electronics.design#113933

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:59:58 -0800 (PST)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 17:59 UTC

On Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 6:03:08 AM UTC-8, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Sat, 07 Jan 2023 14:49:10 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman
> <jer...@nospam.please> wrote in <tpbt8m$1t69$1...@gioia.aioe.org>:
> >As for creating light with electron beams, there are many machines built
> >specifically for that purpose. I know of Soleil and ESRF in France, PSI
> >in Switzerland, Diamond in the UK and Sesame in Jordan. There are many
> >more. Synchrotron light is very useful for all sorts of applications.

> My old CRT monitor now sleeping in the attic creates light
> and even a color picture from the electron beam.
> And fits easily on a desktop (was there for years).
> I hang on to it, my personal accelerator!

Yeah, but it'd burn the screen if it didn't scan continuously. To run
the novel glow-producing gizmo,the beam needs to be stationary, close
to a clean metamaterial surface, and maybe cold (unless the new
light production isn't a Bose statistics boost). Lower voltage, higher
current than the CRT. And maybe tricks like B-field focus won't be
applicable; the CRT electrons are taking a few helical paths.