Your mode of life will be changed to EBCDIC.

tech / sci.electronics.design / In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other m

SubjectAuthor
* In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many ofa a
`* Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!Fred Bloggs
 `* Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!a a
  `* Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!Fred Bloggs
   +* Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!a a
   |`- Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!Fred Bloggs
   `* Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!Ricky
    `- Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!Fred Bloggs

1
In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other m

<fac3789e-ed65-4ac8-adcb-1eb0bd9f303cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113771&group=sci.electronics.design#113771

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 10:43:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 18:43 UTC

In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest
, @OhioState
, & @BerkeleyLab
researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other microbes: https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<da3a1fc6-5b39-4e2a-8ff9-11c3a98c5759n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113772&group=sci.electronics.design#113772

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 11:08:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses!
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:08 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 1:44:00 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest
> , @OhioState
> , & @BerkeleyLab
> researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other microbes: https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how

Title is misleading, the researchers did nothing more than speculate about the effects on carbon cycling.

"A teaspoon of seawater typically contains about fifty million viruses.[6] Most of these viruses are bacteriophages which infect and destroy marine bacteria and control the growth of phytoplankton at the base of the marine food web. Bacteriophages are harmless to plants and animals but are essential to the regulation of marine ecosystems. They supply key mechanisms for recycling ocean carbon and nutrients. In a process known as the viral shunt, organic molecules released from dead bacterial cells stimulate fresh bacterial and algal growth. In particular, the breaking down of bacteria by viruses (lysis) has been shown to enhance nitrogen cycling and stimulate phytoplankton growth. Viral activity also affects the biological pump, the process which sequesters carbon in the deep ocean. By increasing the amount of respiration in the oceans, viruses are indirectly responsible for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3 gigatonnes of carbon per year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_viruses

The oceans have been around for nearly 4 billion years and get along just fine independently of what mankind *thinks* it knows about them. Mankind is the only collective organism that evolves into a death spiral.

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<425a65a5-c3c0-43ee-a6db-2183ccc40a86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113775&group=sci.electronics.design#113775

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 11:30:36 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:30 UTC

On Thursday, 5 January 2023 at 20:08:10 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 1:44:00 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> > In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest
> > , @OhioState
> > , & @BerkeleyLab
> > researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other microbes: https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how
> Title is misleading, the researchers did nothing more than speculate about the effects on carbon cycling.
>
> "A teaspoon of seawater typically contains about fifty million viruses.[6] Most of these viruses are bacteriophages which infect and destroy marine bacteria and control the growth of phytoplankton at the base of the marine food web. Bacteriophages are harmless to plants and animals but are essential to the regulation of marine ecosystems. They supply key mechanisms for recycling ocean carbon and nutrients. In a process known as the viral shunt, organic molecules released from dead bacterial cells stimulate fresh bacterial and algal growth. In particular, the breaking down of bacteria by viruses (lysis) has been shown to enhance nitrogen cycling and stimulate phytoplankton growth. Viral activity also affects the biological pump, the process which sequesters carbon in the deep ocean. By increasing the amount of respiration in the oceans, viruses are indirectly responsible for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3 gigatonnes of carbon per year."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_viruses
>
> The oceans have been around for nearly 4 billion years and get along just fine independently of what mankind *thinks* it knows about them. Mankind is the only collective organism that evolves into a death spiral.
If you object messages by US Department of Education
so contact them personally

DOE Office of Science
@doescience
·
Jan 4
In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest
, @OhioState
, & @BerkeleyLab
researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other microbes: https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how-marine-viruses-could-impact-climate-change/

"
How marine viruses could impact climate change
WFU professor co-authors study on role of virocells in oceans
Main Content

November 21, 2022
by Keri Brown | brownkl@wfu.edu | 336.758.4442

Viruses are abundant in the ocean. There’s about a million viruses per teaspoon of seawater. When they infect marine bacteria, a new virocell (virus-infected cell) is created.

Sheri FlogeResearchers didn’t know much about how these virocells interacted with other organisms in the ocean, but a new study co-authored by Wake Forest University Assistant Biology Professor Sheri Floge is giving some insight. She partnered with scientists at other institutions, including The Ohio State University and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to find out more.

“These infected cells can look very similar to an uninfected cell, but they’re very different on the inside,” said Floge.

“The viruses are at work changing and manipulating the host metabolism and what that means is that the cells that are infected are actually taking nutrients up differently. They’re releasing all sorts of different metabolites, which is one of the things we were able to show experimentally in the study.”

Researchers analyzed the physiology of Synechococcus cyanobacteria, which is important to carbon cycling in the ocean. Another important factor in that process is the interactions among the different microbes.

Floge said microbes in the environment are fairly overlooked. “These interactions between these microbes and the surface ocean, they truly are controlling climate.”

“The surface ocean has removed 30% of anthropogenic CO2 to date, much of that through the action of microbes. However, as we continue to warm the oceans, we really don't know if they're going to be able to continue to do that - and it all hinges on the interactions between those microbes.. That’s what’s controlling the carbon cycling. ”

Oceans cover about 70% of the Earth’s surface – and according to Floge – they are changing very rapidly. They are becoming warmer and more stratified or layered. If these deep layers aren’t mixing well with others in the ocean, it can affect nutrient and oxygen flow and cause less absorption of carbon dioxide.

She said it’s hard to predict how the oceans will respond to climate change, but this study opens a window to find out more about these complex marine eco-systems.

“You know, we can move beyond just looking at a virus and host and start to think about what happens when you have a virus, a host and a predator, and then keep building that up, so we can better predict how these interactions may change in the face of continued climate forcing.”

The study titled: “Protist impacts on marine cyanovirocell metabolism” was recently published in the online research journal ISME Communications.

This work was supported by the National Science Foundation, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, the Moore Foundation Investigator Award, and the Office of Science of the U.S. Department of Energy.

Categories: Top Stories

Media Contact
Keri Brown
brownkl@wfu.edu | 336.758.4442

https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how-marine-viruses-could-impact-climate-change/

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<bba177fe-2b19-4369-be82-b5ffaee23095n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113776&group=sci.electronics.design#113776

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 11:34:50 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:34 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 2:30:41 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 January 2023 at 20:08:10 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 1:44:00 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> > > In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest
> > > , @OhioState
> > > , & @BerkeleyLab
> > > researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and other microbes: https://news.wfu.edu/2022/11/21/how
> > Title is misleading, the researchers did nothing more than speculate about the effects on carbon cycling.
> >
> > "A teaspoon of seawater typically contains about fifty million viruses.[6] Most of these viruses are bacteriophages which infect and destroy marine bacteria and control the growth of phytoplankton at the base of the marine food web. Bacteriophages are harmless to plants and animals but are essential to the regulation of marine ecosystems. They supply key mechanisms for recycling ocean carbon and nutrients. In a process known as the viral shunt, organic molecules released from dead bacterial cells stimulate fresh bacterial and algal growth. In particular, the breaking down of bacteria by viruses (lysis) has been shown to enhance nitrogen cycling and stimulate phytoplankton growth. Viral activity also affects the biological pump, the process which sequesters carbon in the deep ocean. By increasing the amount of respiration in the oceans, viruses are indirectly responsible for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3 gigatonnes of carbon per year."
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_viruses
> >
> > The oceans have been around for nearly 4 billion years and get along just fine independently of what mankind *thinks* it knows about them. Mankind is the only collective organism that evolves into a death spiral.
> If you object messages by US Department of Education
> so contact them personally
>

> DOE Office of Science
> @doescience

DOE is department of energy.

You contact them and inquire about remedial reading comprehension.

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<c4150cc9-3ca3-4975-a815-7952c7c6168en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113792&group=sci.electronics.design#113792

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 15:40:47 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:40 UTC

On Thursday, 5 January 2023 at 20:34:55 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 2:30:41 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> > > Title is misleading, the researchers did nothing more than speculate about the effects on carbon cycling.
> > >
> > > "A teaspoon of seawater typically contains about fifty million viruses.[6] Most of these viruses are bacteriophages which infect and destroy marine bacteria and control the growth of phytoplankton at the base of the marine food web. Bacteriophages are harmless to plants and animals but are essential to the regulation of marine ecosystems. They supply key mechanisms for recycling ocean carbon and nutrients. In a process known as the viral shunt, organic molecules released from dead bacterial cells stimulate fresh bacterial and algal growth. In particular, the breaking down of bacteria by viruses (lysis) has been shown to enhance nitrogen cycling and stimulate phytoplankton growth. Viral activity also affects the biological pump, the process which sequesters carbon in the deep ocean. By increasing the amount of respiration in the oceans, viruses are indirectly responsible for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3 gigatonnes of carbon per year."
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_viruses
> > >
> > > The oceans have been around for nearly 4 billion years and get along just fine independently of what mankind *thinks* it knows about them. Mankind is the only collective organism that evolves into a death spiral.
> > If you object messages by US Department of Education
> > so contact them personally
> >

> > DOE Office of Science
> > @doescience
> DOE is department of energy.
>
> You contact them and inquire about remedial reading comprehension.
are u sure ?
Office of Science, Department of Education
not a single word about energy generated so far

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<02bca0fc-7d4c-4c75-aa1f-cb316b67a618n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113794&group=sci.electronics.design#113794

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 15:45:31 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:45 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 6:40:52 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 January 2023 at 20:34:55 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > If you object messages by US Department of Education
> > > so contact them personally
> > >

> > > DOE Office of Science
> > > @doescience
> > DOE is department of energy.
> >
> > You contact them and inquire about remedial reading comprehension.
> are u sure ?
> Office of Science, Department of Education
> not a single word about energy generated so far

From the article which you didn't even read:

This work was supported by the National Science Foundation, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, the Moore Foundation Investigator Award, and the Office of Science of the U.S. Department of Energy

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<71a7a32a-7506-4c9d-910e-f8fcaf2bd608n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113808&group=sci.electronics.design#113808

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 16:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 00:50 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 2:34:55 PM UTC-5, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 2:30:41 PM UTC-5, a a wrote:
> > > Title is misleading, the researchers did nothing more than speculate about the effects on carbon cycling.
> > >
> > > "A teaspoon of seawater typically contains about fifty million viruses.[6] Most of these viruses are bacteriophages which infect and destroy marine bacteria and control the growth of phytoplankton at the base of the marine food web. Bacteriophages are harmless to plants and animals but are essential to the regulation of marine ecosystems. They supply key mechanisms for recycling ocean carbon and nutrients. In a process known as the viral shunt, organic molecules released from dead bacterial cells stimulate fresh bacterial and algal growth. In particular, the breaking down of bacteria by viruses (lysis) has been shown to enhance nitrogen cycling and stimulate phytoplankton growth. Viral activity also affects the biological pump, the process which sequesters carbon in the deep ocean. By increasing the amount of respiration in the oceans, viruses are indirectly responsible for reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by approximately 3 gigatonnes of carbon per year."
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_viruses
> > >
> > > The oceans have been around for nearly 4 billion years and get along just fine independently of what mankind *thinks* it knows about them. Mankind is the only collective organism that evolves into a death spiral.
> > If you object messages by US Department of Education
> > so contact them personally
> >

> > DOE Office of Science
> > @doescience
> DOE is department of energy.
>
> You contact them and inquire about remedial reading comprehension.

This conversation is pretty entertaining. It's like watching Dumb and Dumber.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: In a teaspoon of seawater, there are about a million viruses! Many of them infect bacteria, not larger organisms. @WakeForest , @OhioState , & @BerkeleyLab researchers investigated how bacteria infected with viruses affect carbon cycling and othe

<22190827-00fd-4819-b09d-e35edb3b541cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=113817&group=sci.electronics.design#113817

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 18:24:01 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 02:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 7:50:51 PM UTC-5, Ricky wrote:
> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 2:34:55 PM UTC-5, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > If you object messages by US Department of Education
> > > so contact them personally
> > >

> > > DOE Office of Science
> > > @doescience
> > DOE is department of energy.
> >
> > You contact them and inquire about remedial reading comprehension.
> This conversation is pretty entertaining. It's like watching Dumb and Dumber.

Coming from someone befuddled by The Weekly Reader level content no less...