Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 03:40:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Origin of skiing
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 10:40 UTC

On Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 11:27:32 AM UTC-5, joh...@aol.com wrote:
> "Before Scandinavia: These could be the first skiers
> By Robert Marquand | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor"
> The above article, of March 15, mentions a 2000 year old design and
> then mentions skis dating to 4500 years ago, found in Scandanavia.
> New to me. Then discusses the present day use of skis in the Altaian
> mountains of China, and suggests that the design there might date back
> 10000 or 20000 BP. Refers to cave paintings and speculates that skis
> may have been invented there and diffused to Scandanavia.
> About all one can do is speculate on the probabilities here.
> Could stone age people make boards? Article says invention is common
> sense, but not maybe so much so for people who didn't commonly use
> boards. Moreover in heavy timber, snowshoes maybe more flexible, and
> easier for stone age people to make.
> However, while deer move down from the high country in Southern
> Colorado in the present day, I read an account (in fiction) that deer
> will beat paths among willows in areas of moderate snow. Hunters on
> snowshoes easily able to kill the entire herd. Of course, hunters
> needed a large range, so an area could repopulate after this. So we
> can speculate that snowshoes might have been an early invention. Good
> edge for humans over other predators.
> The 10,000 to 20,000 year BP date would allow skis to move with the
> migration into Scandanavia as the glaciers retreated.
> I can't say I was impressed with the author implying telemarking
> is for wimps. Bono and Kennedy proved that there is positive selection
> against hunters that try to prove their macho to a tree. Of course,
> maybe sexual selection would offset this.
> Also, what do the Altaian cave paintings show, and how are they
> dated.
> So, something for idle speculation, unless someone here has some
> answeres.
> Regards
> John GW

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v404/n6776/full/404382a0.html

Re: Origin of skiing

<ba272686-2479-4848-b861-1690c93c3d2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11418&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11418

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 10:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:40 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

> http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v404/n6776/full/404382a0.html

Besides the fact that it's your customarily random "Cite" -- unrelated to
whatever topic you post these things to -- it's also retarded. Upright walking
is OLDER, not younger, than the knuckle walking seen in Chimps, and in
all probability is older than Gorillas as well.

You got it backwards. Again.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/664257293727236096