Old programmers never die, they just hit account block limit.

tech / sci.electronics.design / IEEE Spectrum readership

SubjectAuthor
* IEEE Spectrum readershipBob Engelhardt
+- Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipJeroen Belleman
+* Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipFred Bloggs
|`- Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipboB
+* Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipDon Y
|`- Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipboB
+* Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipa a
|`- Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipa a
`* Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipJoe Gwinn
 `- Re: IEEE Spectrum readershipa a

1
IEEE Spectrum readership

<hIAxL.272373$Tcw8.38845@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114642&group=sci.electronics.design#114642

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Subject: IEEE Spectrum readership
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:14:52 -0500
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:14 UTC

The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
"The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"

The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
store energy in the form of static electricity."

So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<tq6og4$1j8e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114645&group=sci.electronics.design#114645

From: jer...@nospam.please (Jeroen Belleman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: IEEE Spectrum readership
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 19:13:24 +0100
 by: Jeroen Belleman - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:13 UTC

On 2023-01-17 18:14, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits "The Inner Beauty of
> Electronic Components"
>
> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
> clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components
> that store energy in the form of static electricity."
>
> So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
> EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But
> then, I wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a
> reader of Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.

They've replaced all competent personnel by cheaper simpletons.
They've sawn off the branch they were sitting on. They deserved
to fall.

Jeroen Belleman

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<cbcc0350-4c6b-485a-a362-c4e7b12626bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114647&group=sci.electronics.design#114647

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:24:22 -0800 (PST)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:24 UTC

On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 12:15:00 PM UTC-5, bobenge...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
> "The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>
> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
> clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
> store energy in the form of static electricity."

That's just a literary lead-in to the subtopic which is really about the construction/ manufacture of the components at a level just touching the highlights. The book probably has a lot of material in those diagrams even long time practicing designers have never actually seen. Looks like it's mainly addressing embedded systems/ makers types who work /with/ a lot of electronics but don't actually design the electronics.

They have a sample chapter here:
https://nostarch.com/download/OpenCircuits_Chapter1.pdf

Book page here:
https://nostarch.com/open-circuits

> So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
> EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
> wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
> Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.

Any thing to supplant that old format and content is a good thing.

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<os9esh9e8makhpbedlqqurc69mul8a0n3e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114664&group=sci.electronics.design#114664

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:56:39 -0700
 by: boB - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 22:56 UTC

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:24:22 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 12:15:00 PM UTC-5, bobenge...@gmail.com wrote:
>> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
>> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
>> "The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>>
>> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
>> clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
>> store energy in the form of static electricity."
>
>That's just a literary lead-in to the subtopic which is really about the construction/ manufacture of the components at a level just touching the highlights. The book probably has a lot of material in those diagrams even long time practicing designers have never actually seen. Looks like it's mainly addressing embedded systems/ makers types who work /with/ a lot of electronics but don't actually design the electronics.
>
>They have a sample chapter here:
>https://nostarch.com/download/OpenCircuits_Chapter1.pdf
>
>Book page here:
>https://nostarch.com/open-circuits
>

>> So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
>> EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
>> wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
>> Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.
>
>Any thing to supplant that old format and content is a good thing.

Cool book !

boB

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<tq79og$3dsfv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114666&group=sci.electronics.design#114666

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:07:58 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:07 UTC

On 1/17/2023 10:14 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
> "The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>
> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic clueless.
> E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that store energy in
> the form of static electricity."
>
> So who are the Spectrum's readers?  I always thought it was EE's/designers.
> But if so, this article is way off target.  But then, I wouldn't expect the
> reader that this intended for, to be a reader of Spectrum.  This seems like a
> huge disconnect at Spectrum.

I suspect its just a reflection of a decline in readership of
traditional "print" publications. There's such a wide range
of on-line choices that it takes work to keep subscribers.
And, if you expect the writers to be competent, you have to
consider the wages/reward they can get elsewhere.

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<3804bd82-2135-49b0-87c5-d55ee43e1b70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114668&group=sci.electronics.design#114668

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:33:53 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 23:33 UTC

On Tuesday, 17 January 2023 at 18:15:00 UTC+1, bobenge...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
> "The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>
> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
> clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
> store energy in the form of static electricity."
>
> So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
> EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
> wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
> Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.
who is IEEE if represented by #SydneyZOO daily

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<5oeesh1lashsbcmi0im2fehsp4hjueq3gd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114676&group=sci.electronics.design#114676

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:21:40 -0700
 by: boB - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 00:21 UTC

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:07:58 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 1/17/2023 10:14 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
>> The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
>> https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
>> "The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>>
>> The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic clueless.
>> E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that store energy in
>> the form of static electricity."
>>
>> So who are the Spectrum's readers?  I always thought it was EE's/designers.
>> But if so, this article is way off target.  But then, I wouldn't expect the
>> reader that this intended for, to be a reader of Spectrum.  This seems like a
>> huge disconnect at Spectrum.
>
>I suspect its just a reflection of a decline in readership of
>traditional "print" publications. There's such a wide range
>of on-line choices that it takes work to keep subscribers.
>And, if you expect the writers to be competent, you have to
>consider the wages/reward they can get elsewhere.

I usually read the IEEE Spectrum magazine or at least scan it.
Sometimes it has some good stuff.

I thought this open circuits thing was pretty interesting. But then
again, I like all this kind of stuff.

But articles are in general, being dumbed down a lot these days.
It's also hard to find experienced help. Maybe because they are
already working but I am sure there are WAY less of them in the US
today.

boB

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<bb264b1b-4a90-4213-aedf-a2548b3e90adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114695&group=sci.electronics.design#114695

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 05:43:35 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 13:43 UTC

#SydneyZOO turned IEEE into fake news agency

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<2jjgsh9st8ckqj302d5ogb41rkntnjms8o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114726&group=sci.electronics.design#114726

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:59:05 -0500
 by: Joe Gwinn - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:59 UTC

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:14:52 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
<BobEngelhardt@comcast.net> wrote:

>The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
>https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
>"The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
>
>The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
>clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
>store energy in the form of static electricity."
>
>So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
>EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
>wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
>Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.

IEEE Spectrum is intended for the members of the IEEE, not all of
which are concerned with design of electronic components. All members
receive Spectrum. To get the technical journals, one often must join
the relevant community within the IEEE, although some tech journals
are available to multiple communities.

Spectrum's staff writers typically live in the NYC area, and are tech
writers by trade. Authors not on staff can be from anywhere.

Joe Gwinn

Re: IEEE Spectrum readership

<2dd1aeb8-e404-4a57-9b9c-1ceaf2cff7ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114740&group=sci.electronics.design#114740

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 16:30:04 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 00:30 UTC

On Wednesday, 18 January 2023 at 20:59:19 UTC+1, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 12:14:52 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
> <BobEng...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >The Spectrum has a recent article/book review:
> >https://spectrum.ieee.org/open-circuits
> >"The Inner Beauty of Electronic Components"
> >
> >The article includes statements clearly addressing the electronic
> >clueless. E.g., "Capacitors are fundamental electronic components that
> >store energy in the form of static electricity."
> >
> >So who are the Spectrum's readers? I always thought it was
> >EE's/designers. But if so, this article is way off target. But then, I
> >wouldn't expect the reader that this intended for, to be a reader of
> >Spectrum. This seems like a huge disconnect at Spectrum.
> IEEE Spectrum is intended for the members of the IEEE, not all of
> which are concerned with design of electronic components. All members
> receive Spectrum. To get the technical journals, one often must join
> the relevant community within the IEEE, although some tech journals
> are available to multiple communities.
>
> Spectrum's staff writers typically live in the NYC area, and are tech
> writers by trade. Authors not on staff can be from anywhere.
>
> Joe Gwinn
IEEE Spectrum is just one another blah blah blah popular science media

https://spectrum.ieee.org/