You will have many recoverable tape errors.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Faced with the loss of legs

SubjectAuthor
* Faced with the loss of legsMike Monett VE3BTI
+* Re: Faced with the loss of legspanteltje
|+- Re: Faced with the loss of legsJohn Larkin
|`* Re: Faced with the loss of legsMike Monett VE3BTI
| `- Re: Faced with the loss of legspanteltje
`- Re: Faced with the loss of legsClive Arthur

1
Faced with the loss of legs

<XnsAF911198C159Eidtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114746&group=sci.electronics.design#114746

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Faced with the loss of legs
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 06:44:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 06:44 UTC

Two years ago, in 2020, I suffered a series of strokes that cost me the
vision in one eye, the loss of use of my legs, and my right hand doesn't
work well.

Recently, a friend lost the use of her legs due to a degenerative disease.
I decided to write a list of tips to help her with her disability. Of
necessity, this list is centered on the stores available around Midland,
Ontario, but many of the suggestions can apply anywhere.

Since many of the inhabitants of this forum are approaching the age when
strokes are likely to occur, I post the list here in the event it is
needed. Here are the tips:

1. apply for pension, pension supplement, disability, and anything else you
and your doctor can find.

2. reduce your taxes by taking every deduction you can find.

3. reduce your electric bill

3A. your water heater is a huge part of your bill. Reduce the water
temperature setting to 110 degrees F(43C).

3B. your refrigerator is the next huge part of your bill. Increase the
fridge temp to the maximum possible, usually around 43F (6C). Increase the
freezer the highest temperature possible, usually around 14F (-10C).

3C. setting the fridge to 6C is the best temperature for long term storage
of vegetable such as potatoes, onions, etc.

3D. change all the filament bulbs to LED. A 60 Watt equivalent LED bulb
only takes 9 Watts instead of 60 Watts, or only 15% of the original. They
are in a much softer color and last much longer. Some are dimmable:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=60+Watt+LED+BULB&s=price-asc-rank

4. get a toilet extender with arms. This helps standing up. The very best
one is at

https://www.amazon.ca/Carex-Raised-Toilet-Adjustable-
Armrests/dp/B00H7QVUS6/ ($89.99)
- the other ones are crap.

5A. get Instacart. This service delivers food so you no longer have to go
to the stores to shop. Walmart and RCSS have the best selection but RCSS is
often a bit more expensive. Do not buy potatoes from Walmart. They are
terrible.

Instacart+, formerly known as Instacart Express, is an optional
subscription service that provides access to unlimited free deliveries on
orders over $35 for $99 per year, or $9.99 per month. It also reduces the
service fees on your orders.

https://www.instacart.ca/store/home

More about Instacart later.

5B. Use Feastify

https://feastify.com/listing-region/midland-main/

You can get the best Fish and Chips this side of England at Midland Fish &
Chip & Seafoods.

Also find the best pizza on the planet with Little Caesars Pizza, at County
Rd 93.

Do not order chinese food. None of the chinese restaurents are any good.
The only one that is passable is Uncle Roy's Restaurant on King St.
However, they have a minimum order, but I forget what it is. Learn how to
make your own.

6. Stop using ordinary sodium salt (NaCl). It increases your blood
pressure, which leads to strokes. It also causes water retention. Use
potassium salt instead (KCl). This is available at Valu-Mart on King Street
as Salt Free. Here is a photo:

https://www.amazon.ca/Windsor-Iodized-Salt-Free-Substitute/dp/B07H1LH8CG/

- Do not buy from Amazon. They overcharge. Get it from Value-Mart where it
is about $7.50. They are called Independent Grocers on Instacart. Also,
RCSS stocks it.

6A. Be careful of the salt content in various food and condiments. For
example, how much sodium is in French's yellow mustard?

French's Classic Yellow Mustard
per 1 tsp 5 ml
Sodium 60 mg 3%

WM $3.05 400 ml
Amazon $5.17 830ml <- Amazon is a better bargain

French's Low Sodium Ketchup
per tbsp 15 ml
sodium 40 mg 2%

6B. Get a blood pressure monitor, one that works on the upper arm, not on
the wrist which are the least accurate. Around $40 - $50:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=blood+pressure+monitor+upper+arm&s=price-asc-
rank&page=2

One example: Blood Pressure Monitor for Home use Accurate Automatic Digital
Machine Large LCD Display Dual user mode $39.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Pressure-Monitor-Accurate-Automatic-
Digital/dp/B0B5RKS2WF/

7A. Get a small cart so you don't need both hands to carry things around.
Here are examples:

Mr IRONSTONE Kitchen Cart 3-Tier Kitchen Baker's Rack Utility Microwave
Oven Stand Storage Rolling Workstation with 10 Hooks for Living Room
(Vintage) $99.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PJNJM62/

Amazon Basics 3-Shelf Adjustable, Heavy Duty Storage Shelving Unit on 4"
Wheel Casters, Metal Organizer Wire Rack, Black (23.2L x 13.4W x 32.75H)
$49.23 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LYZ7U4I/

HOOBRO Industrial Printer Stand, 3-Tier Printer Table Printer Cart on
Wheels, Height Adjustable Rolling Carts, 2 Hooks, Under Desk Storage Cart
for Home Office, Rustic Brown and Black BF28PS01 $59.99
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08BNW3JT5/

- Do not get a folding table. They will fold at the worst time when you
have a heavy load on them. Stuff will end up on the floor.

7B. Get a small cart for the bathroom

Lifewit Slim Rolling Utility Cart 7.9" Width for Bathroom Laundry Room
Kitchen $29.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09TS8Y98L/

8. Do Not get a wheelchair. They are a pain in the neck. Difficult to
navigate around, cannot get close to aything.

9A. get an ordinary office chair with dual wheels. This example is the best
chair I have found in 60 years of work:

Amazon Basics Low-Back Computer Task Office Desk Chair with Swivel Casters
- Black $89.68 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01D7P5BFS/

Sytopia Office Chair Caster Wheel Replacement Suitable for All Floors and
Carpets, Heavy Duty Rollerblade Chair Wheels, Universal Caster Wheels Size
(11x22 mm) $39.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09X4LPHP5/

- do not get the other style of covered wheels. Lots of things get stuck
and clog up the wheels.

9B. Get a seat cushion. Do not get a memory foam. They collapse to nothing.
Most of the GEL cushions also simply collapse. Do not get an air cusion.
They tilt under you and you will end up on the floor. Get this one:

Tektrum Thick Orthopedic Cool Gel Seat Cushion with Cooling Vents $67.92
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07192ZV7B/

9C. Get a seat cover for the Tektrum. Black hides stains best:

Home Beyond & HB design - 2-Pack Embossed Pillowcase Set (Standard Size,
20x26-Inch, Black) $11.99 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08YZ7K9V8/

10. The chair will eventually lose pressure and the seat will lower itself.
Get a bunch of hose clamps to wrap around the shaft and prevent the chair
from falling. The shaft is 1.1 inches in dia.

Breeze Power-Seal Stainless Steel Hose Clamp, Worm-Drive, SAE Size 24, 1-
1/16" to 2" Diameter Range, 1/2" Bandwidth (Pack of 10) $17.22
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008MG2UJI/

- I use 9 clamps with the Tektrum seat cusion.

- Amazon overcharges, but they include delivery. You can get the same
clamps from Rona, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, etc.

11. If you don't have one already, get an Instant Pot. I have the Ultra and
Duo models. I like both, but the Duo is easier to operate. It also stores
the cooking times you used previously.

Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker,
Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer $129.99
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/

12. Instacart Items. Clearly, these stores have many more items than are
listed here, but I save you the trouble of searching for common items.

Here are some of the things you can get at Valu-Mart, known as Independent
Grocer on Instacart:

https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675351115 No Name Prepared
Yellow Mustard 400 ml $1.60
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675352560 President's Choice
White Petroleum Jelly 375 gm
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675353310 Windsor Salt Free 311
g $7.45
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675353514 D'Italiano Thick
Sliced Bread 675 g $3.95
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675354576 No Name Popping Corn
$3.60
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675355391 No Name Mixed
Vegetables 750 g $4.35
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675355780 President's Choice
Club Pack Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh $23.00/ kg
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675357367 Farmer's Market Red
Potatoes 10 lb $7.10
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675357816 President's Choice
Blue Menu T&J Lean Beef Burgers 8 X 142 gm $16.45 $2.05 ea
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675357857 Heinz No Sugar Added
Ketchup 750 ml $4.90
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675358762 No Name Grade A Extra
Large Eggs 12 ct $4.50
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_61675360736 No Name Garden Mixed
Vegetable 750 g $4.35
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_63383301662 Club Pack Boneless
Skinless Chicken Thigh $23.17
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_67948138428 Villaggio Original
Thick Sliced Italian Style White Bread 675 g $3.80

13. Here are some of the things you can get at Instacart Walmart:

https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_15799146416 J-B Weld Clearweld
Epoxy Clear 25 ml $10.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843493359 Kraft Cheese Slices 14
slices, 410 g $3.48
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843493633 Nordica 2% Cottage
Cheese 750 g $5.98
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843494011 Kraft Single Thick
Cheese Slices 410 g 14 Slices $3.47 $5.18 33% off
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843495319 Black Diamond Cheddar
Cheese Slices 1 each 22 Slices, 410 g $3.48
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843497573 I Can't Believe It's
Not Butter Margarine 454 g $1.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843498530 Kraft Singles Thin
Cheese Slices 410 g 22 Slices $3.47 $5.18 33% off
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_1843499479 Black Diamond Light
Cheese Slices Slc 22 $3.48
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2532956896 Campbell's Chicken
Noodle 284 ml $1.27
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2532963716 Villaggio Original
Thick Sliced Italian Style White Bread 675 g $3.17
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533303574 Campbell's Raw
Vegetables 284 ml $1.27
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533307959 Campbell's Chunky
Chicken Noodle Soup 540 ml $2.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533311048 Our Finest Lean Angus
Burgers 8 X 128 g $12.97 $1.62 ea
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533311487 Great Value Crispy
Breaded Haddock Fish Fillets $6.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533312066 Great Value
Concentrated Liquid Bleach 3.6 L $3.28 3 For $7.00
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533313154 Clementine $4.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533316999 Great Value Beef
Burgers 904 g $10.97 <- this is the one
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533330358 Great Value Pure White
Vinegar 4 L $2.27
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533729294 Canadian Raised
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs $17.68
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533731726 Great Value Prepared
Yellow Mustard $1.67 550ml
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533735171 Great Value Apple
Cider Vinegar 500 ml $1.47
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2533735718 Great Value Pure Malt
Vinegar 500 ml $1.47
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2535801252 Our Finest Italian
Angus Beef Meatballs 907 g $12.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2535801681 Great Value Vegetable
Flavoured Condensed Soup 284 ml $0.77
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2538799081 Tide Free & Gentle
Liquid Laundry Detergent Unscented $13.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2538889684 Ad Tech 4" Multi Temp
Mini Glue Sticks 30 ct $4.27
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2542576052 Black Diamond Thin
Cheddar Cheese Slices 825 g 44 Slices
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2542992039 Ziploc Medium Slider
Double Zipper Freezer Gallon Bags 15 ct $4.47
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2570408297 Charmin Ultra Strong
Toilet Paper $13.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2576209080 Heinz Deep-Browned
Beans Pork Tomato 398 ml 398 ml 3 For $4.00
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_2974613517 Clorox Clean Up
Cleaner 2% 946 ml $2.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_3304363373 Great Value Regular
Potato Chips $0.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/items/item_74997721171 Great Value
Concentrated Bleach 1.27 L $1.77
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/19069495 Great Value
2% Cottage Cheese 500g $3.88
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/19129737 Great Value
Long Grain Brown Rice 2 kg $4.47
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/19129752 Great Value
Large Pretzel Twists
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/19129829 Great Value
Mini Pretzel Twists 400 g $1.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/21217877 Equate
Triple Antibiotic Ointment $6.27 Many in stock
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/25498091 Piller's
Polish Sausage $10.97
https://www.instacart.ca/store/walmart-canada/products/28104454 Great Value
Peanut Oil

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Faced with the loss of legs

<tqb6p9$199s6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114751&group=sci.electronics.design#114751

From: ali...@comet.invalid (panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Faced with the loss of legs
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:38:36 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: panteltje - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:38 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jan 2023 06:44:29 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAF911198C159Eidtokenpost@88.198.57.247>:

>Two years ago, in 2020, I suffered a series of strokes that cost me the
>vision in one eye, the loss of use of my legs, and my right hand doesn't
>work well.

If I lost a leg or two .. (expression) probably the first thing
I would be interested in is getting or designing an artificial one.
I have seen, on TV, people get one and walk just like that again after some training.
As this is a design group... seems an interesting project,
brain interface. nerve brain interface, some mechanics...
Things like a huge hydrogen filled balloon to transport you,
or a jetpack, in the <2 legs case comes to mind too.

'No hands' would be more difficult... type with your nose or eyelids, tongue, feet..
turn and nod head for cursor position ... voice to text..
No brain would be . well some seem to have no problem with that posting.
'Its a no-brainer' ??

And / or put brain in a artificial blood with oxygen setup and use with electronic
interface.

As a kid I broke an arm, at primary school with a cast... makes you more careful later.

As to all that food, apart from differences in genetics between persons, I use a lot of olive oil.
Italian food, pizza, spaghetti, tofu, have been vegetarian for now 40 years or so, no alcohol,
lost of fruit, grapes.. kiwis, apricots.. spices like chili and pepper, salt...
And cookies with lots of sugar, cream, coffee, what not.. lots of Chocolate just now..
Heading toward 77 WW3 may interfere of course.
As to saving on trickety: no way, energy prices seem to be going down again anyways.
I do have solar panels and battery backup in case they nuke the grid.
and iodine pills too for that case, and make sure you hide under the table...
Get a boat, sail to where the fallout is not so bad, not close to one of those
islands where US did or will do nuke test, learn something about survival.. plants
animals, tactics...
Oh and radios to communicate with the WW3 survivors... learn to build one from what's left,,,,
if any

Re: Faced with the loss of legs

<otbish9cs7bc8a16ks6igs7mdfjtu7o9d4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114752&group=sci.electronics.design#114752

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 03:59:12 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:59 UTC

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:38:36 GMT, panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jan 2023 06:44:29 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
>VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAF911198C159Eidtokenpost@88.198.57.247>:
>
>>Two years ago, in 2020, I suffered a series of strokes that cost me the
>>vision in one eye, the loss of use of my legs, and my right hand doesn't
>>work well.
>
>If I lost a leg or two .. (expression) probably the first thing
>I would be interested in is getting or designing an artificial one.
>I have seen, on TV, people get one and walk just like that again after some training.
>As this is a design group... seems an interesting project,
>brain interface. nerve brain interface, some mechanics...
>
>Things like a huge hydrogen filled balloon to transport you,
>or a jetpack, in the <2 legs case comes to mind too.
>
>'No hands' would be more difficult... type with your nose or eyelids, tongue, feet..
>turn and nod head for cursor position ... voice to text..
>No brain would be . well some seem to have no problem with that posting.
>'Its a no-brainer' ??
>
>And / or put brain in a artificial blood with oxygen setup and use with electronic
>interface.
>
>As a kid I broke an arm, at primary school with a cast... makes you more careful later.
>
>As to all that food, apart from differences in genetics between persons, I use a lot of olive oil.
>Italian food, pizza, spaghetti, tofu, have been vegetarian for now 40 years or so, no alcohol,
>lost of fruit, grapes.. kiwis, apricots.. spices like chili and pepper, salt...
>And cookies with lots of sugar, cream, coffee, what not.. lots of Chocolate just now..
>Heading toward 77 WW3 may interfere of course.
>As to saving on trickety: no way, energy prices seem to be going down again anyways.
>I do have solar panels and battery backup in case they nuke the grid.
>and iodine pills too for that case, and make sure you hide under the table...
>Get a boat, sail to where the fallout is not so bad, not close to one of those
>islands where US did or will do nuke test, learn something about survival.. plants
>animals, tactics...
>Oh and radios to communicate with the WW3 survivors... learn to build one from what's left,,,,
>if any

Wheelchairs are clumsy and ugly. There should be a market for
high-performance sports models, sleek and agile and with great
lighting and sound systems and custom-programmed user interfaces.

Re: Faced with the loss of legs

<XnsAF91638AD9275idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114762&group=sci.electronics.design#114762

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:47:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:47 UTC

panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:

>>Two years ago, in 2020, I suffered a series of strokes that cost me the
>>vision in one eye, the loss of use of my legs, and my right hand doesn't
>>work well.
>
> If I lost a leg or two .. (expression) probably the first thing
> I would be interested in is getting or designing an artificial one.
> I have seen, on TV, people get one and walk just like that again after
> some training. As this is a design group... seems an interesting
> project, brain interface. nerve brain interface, some mechanics...

The legs are still attached but they have lost the connection to the brain.
Very few signals get through.

--
MRM

Re: Faced with the loss of legs

<tqbt30$1ag79$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114776&group=sci.electronics.design#114776

From: ali...@comet.invalid (panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:59:12 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: panteltje - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:59 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:47:11 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Mike Monett
VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> wrote in <XnsAF91638AD9275idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>:

>panteltje <alien@comet.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>Two years ago, in 2020, I suffered a series of strokes that cost me the
>>>vision in one eye, the loss of use of my legs, and my right hand doesn't
>>>work well.
>>
>> If I lost a leg or two .. (expression) probably the first thing
>> I would be interested in is getting or designing an artificial one.
>> I have seen, on TV, people get one and walk just like that again after
>> some training. As this is a design group... seems an interesting
>> project, brain interface. nerve brain interface, some mechanics...
>
>The legs are still attached but they have lost the connection to the brain.
>Very few signals get through.

The nerves to the muscles in the legs could be activated by some electronics
that is in turn controlled by some brain signals picked up perhaps via pads on the skull.
Or that electronics could steer some mechanical system that moves and supports the legs,
Those support systems already exist to help military carry very heavy loads.
Google
Google is a very good way to find what experiments are and have been done
and if you can participate perhaps.

I would play with those head based electrodes to see if you can get usable signals by thought.
Long ago I did test some for electroencephalograms,
Keeping balance with 4 axis accelerometers perhaps to make a mechanical system that moves the legs
and keeps you upright, maybe some AI learning, all that has been done and can be found
on the net.
My father used to say: "Where a will is there is a way".
And it could help others.

Re: Faced with the loss of legs

<tqe9np$23m6p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=114816&group=sci.electronics.design#114816

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 14:50:32 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 14:50 UTC

On 19/01/2023 06:44, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:

<snip>

> 3A. your water heater is a huge part of your bill. Reduce the water
> temperature setting to 110 degrees F(43C).

If you have a hot water storage tank, I believe you may have to increase
the temperature, at least occasionally, to prevent Legionella bacteria.
I'm not an expert.

--
Cheers
Clive