To do two things at once is to do neither. -- Publilius Syrus

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

SubjectAuthor
* Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig forPrimum Sapienti
+- Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPaul Crowley
`* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
 `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPrimum Sapienti
  `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
   `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPrimum Sapienti
    `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
     `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPrimum Sapienti
      +* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
      |`* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPrimum Sapienti
      | `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for waterI Envy JTEM
      |  `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digPrimum Sapienti
      |   `- Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
      `* Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
       +- Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digI Envy JTEM
       `- Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses digDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<sgn4ll$teh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11008&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11008

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for
water
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:56:05 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 05:56 UTC

If wild donleys and horses can dig, why not hominids?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species
In the American Southwest, wild donkeys and horses often dig into the
dusty sediment
to reach cool, crystal clear groundwater to quench their thirst. New
research shows this
equid ingenuity has far reaching benefits for the ecosystem.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215644
Chimpanzee extractive foraging with excavating tools: Experimental
modeling of the
origins of human technology

Abstract
It is hypothesized that tool-assisted excavation of plant underground storage
organs (USOs) played an adaptive role in hominin evolution and was also once
considered a uniquely human behavior. Recent data indicate that savanna
chimpanzees also use tools to excavate edible USOs. However, those
chimpanzees
remain largely unhabituated and we lack direct observations of this
behavior in
the wild. To fill this gap in our knowledge of hominoid USO extractive
foraging,
we conducted tool-mediated excavation experiments with captive chimpanzees
naïve to this behavior. We presented the chimpanzees with the opportunity to
use tools in order to excavate artificially-placed underground foods in their
naturally forested outdoor enclosure. No guidance or demonstration was
given to
the chimpanzees at any time. The chimpanzees used tools spontaneously in
order
to excavate the underground foods. They exhibited six different tool use
behaviors
in the context of excavation: probe, perforate, dig, pound, enlarge and
shovel.
However, they still excavated manually more often than they did with tools.
Chimpanzees were selective in their choice of tools that we provided,
preferring
longer tools for excavation. They also obtained their own tools mainly from
naturally occurring vegetation and transported them to the excavation
site. They
reused some tools throughout the study. Our new data provide a direction
for the
study of variables relevant to modeling USO extractive foraging by early
hominins.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<77517d44-2a78-4d67-ab4d-2bab78a9c4cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11024&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11024

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 04:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig
for water
From: yelwo...@gmail.com (Paul Crowley)
 by: Paul Crowley - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:48 UTC

On Wednesday 1 September 2021 at 06:56:06 UTC+1, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> If wild donleys and horses can dig, why not hominids?

Re-posted for readability

> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species

>> In the American Southwest, wild donkeys and
> horses often dig into the dusty sediment to reach
> cool, crystal clear groundwater to quench their
> thirst. New research shows this equid ingenuity has
> far reaching benefits for the ecosystem.
>
> https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215644
> Chimpanzee extractive foraging with excavating tools: Experimental
> modeling of the
> origins of human technology
>
> Abstract
> It is hypothesized that tool-assisted excavation of
> plant underground storage organs (USOs) played an
> adaptive role in hominin evolution and was also
> once considered a uniquely human behavior.
> Recent data indicate that savanna chimpanzees also
> use tools to excavate edible USOs. However, those
> chimpanzees remain largely unhabituated and we
> lack direct observations of this behavior in the wild.
> To fill this gap in our knowledge of hominoid USO
> extractive foraging, we conducted tool-mediated
> excavation experiments with captive chimpanzees
> naïve to this behavior. We presented the
> chimpanzees with the opportunity to use tools in
> order to excavate artificially-placed underground
> foods in their naturally forested outdoor enclosure.
> No guidance or demonstration was given to the
> chimpanzees at any time. The chimpanzees used
> tools spontaneously in order to excavate the
> underground foods. They exhibited six different tool
> use behaviors in the context of excavation: probe,
> perforate, dig, pound, enlarge and shovel. However,
> they still excavated manually more often than they
> did with tools. Chimpanzees were selective in their
> choice of tools that we provided, preferring longer
> tools for excavation. They also obtained their own
> tools mainly from naturally occurring vegetation
> and transported them to the excavation site. They
> reused some tools throughout the study. Our new
> data provide a direction for the study of variables
> relevant to modeling USO extractive foraging by
> early hominins.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<f0786bc1-f04a-4e40-b0ac-491f713f7f82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11025&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11025

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 05:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:16 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> In the American Southwest, wild donkeys and horses often dig into the
> dusty sediment to reach cool, crystal clear groundwater

They misspelled "Mud."

> Chimpanzee extractive foraging with excavating tools

They misspelled "Sticks."

They're using the word "Tool" as a verb and then confusing
themselves, believing that they're referencing a noun.

Show us 500,000 year old Chimpanzee tools. You can't. Because
Chimps don't use tools. They don't know how to make tools.

AND, Chimps aren't a model for our ancestors. They've been
evolving AWAY from the common ancestor as long as we have.

As for Chimp behaviors, they learn them from people.

A parrot can "speak" words. Is that the same as language in
people? Hmm?

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/660911648792592384

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<sh1hns$c7t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11052&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11052

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
for water
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:40:31 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 04:40 UTC

I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Primum Sapienti wrote:
>
>> In the American Southwest, wild donkeys and horses often dig into the
>> dusty sediment to reach cool, crystal clear groundwater
>
> They misspelled "Mud."

What mud? "wild donkeys and horses often dig into the dusty sediment"

Here on Earth, mud is not dusty.

>> Chimpanzee extractive foraging with excavating tools
>
> They misspelled "Sticks."

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215644

The paper is public. Follow the link. Chimps using sticks. As tools.

> They're using the word "Tool" as a verb and then confusing

You read the paper?

> themselves, believing that they're referencing a noun.

"tool" is both a noun and verb.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/tool

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/tool

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tool

Please give us your precise definition of tool...

> Show us 500,000 year old Chimpanzee tools. You can't. Because > Chimps don't use tools. They don't know how to make tools.

They don't? How do they fish for termites?

> AND, Chimps aren't a model for our ancestors. They've been
> evolving AWAY from the common ancestor as long as we have.

Why aren't they a good model?

> As for Chimp behaviors, they learn them from people.

They learned termite fishing from people?

> A parrot can "speak" words. Is that the same as language in
> people? Hmm?

Oh look, a new straw man...

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<39a9afce-2165-46e0-90ba-ae3ef3225339n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11064&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11064

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 16:45 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> What mud? "wild donkeys and horses often dig into the dusty sediment"
>
> Here on Earth, mud is not dusty.

Here on earth, water bearing sediment is.

> >> Chimpanzee extractive foraging with excavating tools
> >
> > They misspelled "Sticks."
> https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215644

Wow you're establishing what has already been established and was already
corrected: They say "Tool" when they mean "Stick."

You probably missed this on account that it was right in front of you and the
exact topic you were responding to, with your <ahem> "cite" that established
that, yes, I am right. They really do say "Tool" when they mean "Stick."

A lack of reading comprehension is not an argument.

Now show me examples of 500,000 year old Chimp "Tools." If they existed,
there would be no problem doing so.

> "tool" is both a noun and verb.

Wow, and you say this because you have ZERO reading comprehension...

I'll spell it out AGAIN, and you can not grasp it AGAIN:

They are using tool as a verb: Not a noun but a verb. AND THEN they are
pretending that this makes it a noun. The verb they just used. They pretend
that the verb is a noun.

Though I did already make this clear, and you see how poorly you did anyway,
so we both know none of this is going to help.

Have a pleasant day... speaking to myself here.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/661419355399159809

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<si3pmn$1qh$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11199&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11199

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
for water
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:24:58 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:24 UTC

I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Primum Sapienti wrote:
>
>> What mud? "wild donkeys and horses often dig into the dusty sediment"
>>
>> Here on Earth, mud is not dusty.
>
> Here on earth, water bearing sediment is.

Did you look at the picture?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species
In the American Southwest, wild donkeys and horses often dig into the
dusty sediment
to reach cool, crystal clear groundwater to quench their thirst. New
research shows this
equid ingenuity has far reaching benefits for the ecosystem.

Dry dirt everywhere. That's WHY they were digging...

>>> They misspelled "Sticks."
>> https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215644
>
> Wow you're establishing what has already been established and was already
> corrected: They say "Tool" when they mean "Stick."

Used as a tool.

You're welcome.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<a65fa80a-1ad2-4d49-a682-34f18a748b6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11207&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11207

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 10:28:44 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 17:28 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> Did you look at the picture?

If I had some crayons I'd draw you a few...

> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species

"Engineer."

Lol!

You're trolling. There's no way you missed it.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/662527882140270592

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<sijiq9$t0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11248&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11248

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
for water
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:05:30 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 04:05 UTC

I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Primum Sapienti wrote:
>
>> Did you look at the picture?
>
> If I had some crayons I'd draw you a few...
>
>> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species
>
> "Engineer."
>
> Lol!
>
> You're trolling. There's no way you missed it.

He didn't follow the link, folks.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<7f4e5143-5e18-4ce2-90ff-8de5ff909f41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11252&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11252

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:39:15 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 05:39 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> He didn't

Lol! "Engineer!" Do you have any inkling what that means? Any at all?

Are you the least bit familiar with the word? Hmm?

"Engineer?"

LOL!

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/663167274266525696

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<40961779-87e5-4319-820c-4b8954d3348fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11258&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11258

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 00:10:21 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:10 UTC

On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 12:05:30 AM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> I Envy JTEM wrote:
> > Primum Sapienti wrote:
> >
> >> Did you look at the picture?
> >
> > If I had some crayons I'd draw you a few...
> >
> >> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species
> >
> > "Engineer."
> >
> > Lol!
> >
> > You're trolling. There's no way you missed it.
> He didn't follow the link, folks.
I don't think he can.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<eabf5fd2-07a6-473d-8506-e5f3ef17c9bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11266&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11266

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:29:32 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:29 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

> I don't think

See? With a little editing even you can get something right.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/663167274266525696

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<03276dbd-3451-43f0-9297-6708ce44fa8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11272&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11272

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:10:59 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:10 UTC

On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 3:10:22 AM UTC-4, DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:
> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 12:05:30 AM UTC-4, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> > I Envy JTEM wrote:

> > > If I had some crayons I'd draw you a few...

> > > "Engineer."
> > >
> > > Lol!
> > >
> > > You're trolling. There's no way you missed it.
> > He didn't follow the link, folks.

He can't.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<sjdvqs$u8b$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11374&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11374

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
for water
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 22:27:08 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:27 UTC

I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Primum Sapienti wrote:
>
>> He didn't

He STILL didn't...

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<9702ae42-2726-484f-84df-34e22c30c7fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11403&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11403

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:11 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> He STILL didn't...

I understand that with your problems you can't really identify, pinpoint, WHAT is
upsetting you, much less articulate the reasons for your feelings, but let me
poke fun at you for a little bit:

WHAT are you upset about? WHAT, specifically, are you disagreeing with, WHY
are you disagreeing with it and WHY is this justification for your emotional
meltdown?

Again, I know you can't answer but I also know how funny that is, so I'm asking
anyway... to get a laugh at your expense.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/663996512177651712

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<sl02ot$a47$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11525&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11525

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
for water
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:24:00 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:24 UTC

I Envy JTEM wrote:
> Primum Sapienti wrote:
>
>> Did you look at the picture?
>
> If I had some crayons I'd draw you a few...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/wild-donkeys-horses-ecosystem-engineer-water-holes-invasive-species

> "Engineer."
>
> Lol!
>
> You're trolling. There's no way you missed it.

He didn't follow the link, folks.

Re: Chimpanzees digging with tools; also, wild donkeys and horses dig for water

<fe37572c-0ee7-49ae-9c2b-cd6306153285n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11528&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11528

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 21:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
for water
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:29 UTC

Primum Sapienti wrote:

> He didn't follow the link, folks.

They don't support you in any way, shape or form.

Here. I can prove it. I can taunt you for your stupid, challenge you to explain
your position, how "the link" supports your view. I can and I do DARE YOU
to try. But you can't. You d not dare.

You're faking it. And I'm laughing at you.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/665770266957430784