Hard reality has a way of cramping your style. -- Daniel Dennett

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?

SubjectAuthor
* OH-35 = P.boisei?littor...@gmail.com
+- Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
`* Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?Primum Sapienti
 `* Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?littor...@gmail.com
  `- Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?Primum Sapienti

1
OH-35 = P.boisei?

<ad2e6419-eba8-4577-941c-0a0c544bdf34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11281&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11281

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OH-35 = P.boisei?
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 06:50 UTC

Relative fibular strength and locomotor behavior in KNM-WT 15000 and OH 35
Marchi D cs 2019 J hum Evol 131:48

Relative fibular/tibial strength has been demonstrated to vary with locomotor behavior among anthropoids.

In this study, fibular/tibial strength in WT-15k (juvenile H.erectus 1.5 Ma) & OH-35 (H.habilis or Par.boisei,1.8 Ma) was determined, vs 79 adult Hs, 16 chimps, 16 gorillas & 11 orangs.
Ontogenetic changes in fibular/tibial strength were also analyzed due to WT-15k's juvenile status.
Cross-sectional properties at mid-shaft were derived from multi-plane RX & external contours, or CT-scanning.
Comparisons of log-transformed fibular/tibial polar 2nd moment of area & A-P & M-L 2nd moments of area were carried out between extant spp.
Fossil deviations from each extant taxon's mean proportion were calculated in SD units.

Gr.apes differ significantly from Hs, with rel.stronger fibulae, particularly in the M-L plane.
OH-35 falls within 1 SD of chimp & orang for most cross-sectional proportions, but >1 SD from Hs.
It has some human-like features, but the relative strength of the 2 bones aligns it with gr.apes, consistent with a significant degree of arboreality, in particular vertical climbing.

WT-15k is >2 SD from all gr.apes (3 SD in the M-L plane), within 1 SD of Hs for almost all variables.
This is not a result of its age: fibular/tibial strength slightly decreases with age (i.e. becomes less like gr.apes) in Hs.
WT-15k is demonstrated to be fully modern, complimenting other indications of complete terrestrial bipedality, and possibly showing adaptations for endur.running.

______

The authors are correct that OH-35 (possibly the same individual as OH-7 & OH-8) is an ape, not Homo, google "Lucy was no human ancestor PPT verhaegen".

Their assertion that WT-15k was "fully modern" only means that it was Homo (not impossibly H.erectus), no ape.
But only a complete idiot can believe that WT-15k was an endurance runner.

Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?

<0e94e8d3-6740-45f6-8435-0d3d2f1c5d4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11288&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11288

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:21:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 18:21 UTC

On Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 2:50:22 AM UTC-4, littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Relative fibular strength and locomotor behavior in KNM-WT 15000 and OH 35
> Marchi D cs 2019 J hum Evol 131:48
>
> Relative fibular/tibial strength has been demonstrated to vary with locomotor behavior among anthropoids.
>
> In this study, fibular/tibial strength in WT-15k (juvenile H.erectus 1.5 Ma) & OH-35 (H.habilis or Par.boisei,1.8 Ma) was determined, vs 79 adult Hs, 16 chimps, 16 gorillas & 11 orangs.
> Ontogenetic changes in fibular/tibial strength were also analyzed due to WT-15k's juvenile status.
> Cross-sectional properties at mid-shaft were derived from multi-plane RX & external contours, or CT-scanning.
> Comparisons of log-transformed fibular/tibial polar 2nd moment of area & A-P & M-L 2nd moments of area were carried out between extant spp.
> Fossil deviations from each extant taxon's mean proportion were calculated in SD units.
>
> Gr.apes differ significantly from Hs, with rel.stronger fibulae, particularly in the M-L plane.
> OH-35 falls within 1 SD of chimp & orang for most cross-sectional proportions, but >1 SD from Hs.
> It has some human-like features, but the relative strength of the 2 bones aligns it with gr.apes, consistent with a significant degree of arboreality, in particular vertical climbing.
>
> WT-15k is >2 SD from all gr.apes (3 SD in the M-L plane), within 1 SD of Hs for almost all variables.
> This is not a result of its age: fibular/tibial strength slightly decreases with age (i.e. becomes less like gr.apes) in Hs.
> WT-15k is demonstrated to be fully modern, complimenting other indications of complete terrestrial bipedality, and possibly showing adaptations for endur.running.
>
> ______
>
> The authors are correct that OH-35 (possibly the same individual as OH-7 & OH-8) is an ape, not Homo, google "Lucy was no human ancestor PPT verhaegen".
>
> Their assertion that WT-15k was "fully modern" only means that it was Homo (not impossibly H.erectus), no ape.
> But only a complete idiot can believe that WT-15k was an endurance runner.

Is Homo an ape or a mermaid? Homo is a sheltered ground-based ape, not an endurance swimmer.

Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?

<sje0h9$2g4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11376&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11376

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 22:39:04 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:39 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Relative fibular strength and locomotor behavior in KNM-WT 15000 and OH 35

The REAL abstract

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31182206/

or

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S004724841830040X

Abstract
Relative fibular/tibial strength has been demonstrated to vary with locomotor
behavior among anthropoid primates. In this study fibular/tibial strength was
determined in KNM-WT 15000, a juvenile Homo erectus individual (1.5 Ma), and
in OH 35, a Homo habilis (or possibly Paranthropus boisei) individual (1.8
Ma),
and compared to that of adult modern humans (n = 79), chimpanzees (n = 16),
gorillas (n = 16) and orangutans (n = 11). Ontogenetic changes in
fibular/tibial
strength were also analyzed due to KNM-WT 15000's juvenile status.
Cross-sectional properties at midshaft were derived from multi-plane
radiography
and external contours, or CT scanning. Comparisons of log-transformed
fibular/tibial polar second moment of area and anteroposterior (A-P) and
mediolateral (M-L) second moments of area were carried out between extant
species. Fossil deviations from each extant taxon's mean proportion were
calculated in standard deviation (SD) units for that taxon. Great apes differ
significantly from modern humans, with relatively stronger fibulae,
particularly
in the M-L plane. KNM-WT 15000 is more than 2 SD from all great apes (≥3 SD
in the M-L plane) and within 1 SD of modern humans for almost all variables.
This is not a result of its age, as fibular/tibial strength slightly
decreases with
age (i.e., becomes less like that of great apes) in humans. OH 35 falls
within
1 SD of chimpanzees and orangutans for the majority of cross-sectional
proportions, but more than 1 SD from humans. KNM-WT 15000 is demonstrated
to be fully modern, complimenting other indications of complete terrestrial
bipedality and possibly showing adaptations for endurance running. OH 35 has
some human-like features; however, the relative strength of the two bones
aligns
the specimen with great apes, consistent with a significant degree of
arboreality,
in particular, vertical climbing.

Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?

<36d27ba1-800c-4915-ae48-21cd42260cd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11384&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11384

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 03:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:20 UTC

> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S004724841830040X
> Abstract
> Relative fibular/tibial strength has been demonstrated to vary with locomotor
> behavior among anthropoid primates. In this study fibular/tibial strength was
> determined in KNM-WT 15000, a juvenile Homo erectus individual (1.5 Ma), and
> in OH 35, a Homo habilis (or possibly Paranthropus boisei) individual (1.8
> Ma),
> and compared to that of adult modern humans (n = 79), chimpanzees (n = 16),
> gorillas (n = 16) and orangutans (n = 11). Ontogenetic changes in
> fibular/tibial
> strength were also analyzed due to KNM-WT 15000's juvenile status.
> Cross-sectional properties at midshaft were derived from multi-plane
> radiography
> and external contours, or CT scanning. Comparisons of log-transformed
> fibular/tibial polar second moment of area and anteroposterior (A-P) and
> mediolateral (M-L) second moments of area were carried out between extant
> species. Fossil deviations from each extant taxon's mean proportion were
> calculated in standard deviation (SD) units for that taxon. Great apes differ
> significantly from modern humans, with relatively stronger fibulae,
> particularly
> in the M-L plane. KNM-WT 15000 is more than 2 SD from all great apes (≥3 SD
> in the M-L plane) and within 1 SD of modern humans for almost all variables.
> This is not a result of its age, as fibular/tibial strength slightly
> decreases with
> age (i.e., becomes less like that of great apes) in humans. OH 35 falls
> within
> 1 SD of chimpanzees and orangutans for the majority of cross-sectional
> proportions, but more than 1 SD from humans. KNM-WT 15000 is demonstrated
> to be fully modern, complimenting other indications of complete terrestrial
> bipedality and possibly showing adaptations for endurance running. OH 35 has
> some human-like features; however, the relative strength of the two bones
> aligns
> the specimen with great apes, consistent with a significant degree of
> arboreality,
> in particular, vertical climbing.

:-)
Yes, only a complete idiot believes WT-15k was an endurance runner.

Re: OH-35 = P.boisei?

<sl046l$g2p$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11534&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11534

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:48:24 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:48 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:

>> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S004724841830040X
>> Abstract
>> Relative fibular/tibial strength has been demonstrated to vary with locomotor
>> behavior among anthropoid primates. In this study fibular/tibial strength was
>> determined in KNM-WT 15000, a juvenile Homo erectus individual (1.5 Ma), and
>> in OH 35, a Homo habilis (or possibly Paranthropus boisei) individual (1.8
>> Ma),
>> and compared to that of adult modern humans (n = 79), chimpanzees (n = 16),
>> gorillas (n = 16) and orangutans (n = 11). Ontogenetic changes in
>> fibular/tibial
>> strength were also analyzed due to KNM-WT 15000's juvenile status.
>> Cross-sectional properties at midshaft were derived from multi-plane
>> radiography
>> and external contours, or CT scanning. Comparisons of log-transformed
>> fibular/tibial polar second moment of area and anteroposterior (A-P) and
>> mediolateral (M-L) second moments of area were carried out between extant
>> species. Fossil deviations from each extant taxon's mean proportion were
>> calculated in standard deviation (SD) units for that taxon. Great apes differ
>> significantly from modern humans, with relatively stronger fibulae,
>> particularly
>> in the M-L plane. KNM-WT 15000 is more than 2 SD from all great apes (≥3 SD
>> in the M-L plane) and within 1 SD of modern humans for almost all variables.
>> This is not a result of its age, as fibular/tibial strength slightly
>> decreases with
>> age (i.e., becomes less like that of great apes) in humans. OH 35 falls
>> within
>> 1 SD of chimpanzees and orangutans for the majority of cross-sectional
>> proportions, but more than 1 SD from humans. KNM-WT 15000 is demonstrated
>> to be fully modern, complimenting other indications of complete terrestrial
>> bipedality and possibly showing adaptations for endurance running. OH 35 has
>> some human-like features; however, the relative strength of the two bones
>> aligns
>> the specimen with great apes, consistent with a significant degree of
>> arboreality,
>> in particular, vertical climbing.
>
> :-)
> Yes, only a complete idiot believes WT-15k was an endurance runner.

Only a complete idiot believes WT-15k had a snorkel nose.