Extreme fear can neither fight nor fly. -- William Shakespeare, "The Rape of Lucrece"

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes

SubjectAuthor
* Chimpanzees in savanna landscapesPandora
+* Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapeslittor...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapesPrimum Sapienti
`- Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapesI Envy JTEM

1
Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes

<hd0jng91kava1b7f0aqa042il3ihgdgtmc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11592&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11592

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:43:44 +0200
 by: Pandora - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:43 UTC

Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) in savanna landscapes.

Abstract

Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) are the only great apes that inhabit
hot, dry, and open savannas. We review the environmental pressures of
savannas on chimpanzees, such as food and water scarcity, and the
evidence for chimpanzees' behavioral responses to these landscapes. In
our analysis, savannas were generally associated with low chimpanzee
population densities and large home ranges. In addition,
thermoregulatory behaviors that likely reduce hyperthermia risk, such
as cave use, were frequently observed in the hottest and driest
savanna landscapes. We hypothesize that such responses are evidence of
a "savanna landscape effect" in chimpanzees and offer pathways for
future research to understand its evolutionary processes and
mechanisms. We conclude by discussing the significance of research on
savanna chimpanzees to modeling the evolution of early hominin traits
and informing conservation programs for these endangered apes.

Open access:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/evan.21924

Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes

<7e989c95-983d-4e31-870c-854b5cf2b140n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11596&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11596

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:48 UTC

Op woensdag 27 oktober 2021 om 18:43:46 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:

Incredible, the old PAs keep producing prejudiced fantasies like (in the Introduction):
"The effects of such open & dry landscapes & the environmental pressures ass.x them may have contributed to the evol.split of the Homo & Pan lineages."

How is it possible that self-declared "scientists" can be so stupid??

> Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) in savanna landscapes.
> Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) are the only great apes that inhabit
> hot, dry, and open savannas. We review the environmental pressures of
> savannas on chimpanzees, such as food and water scarcity, and the
> evidence for chimpanzees' behavioral responses to these landscapes. In
> our analysis, savannas were generally associated with low chimpanzee
> population densities and large home ranges. In addition,
> thermoregulatory behaviors that likely reduce hyperthermia risk, such
> as cave use, were frequently observed in the hottest and driest
> savanna landscapes. We hypothesize that such responses are evidence of
> a "savanna landscape effect" in chimpanzees and offer pathways for
> future research to understand its evolutionary processes and
> mechanisms. We conclude by discussing the significance of research on
> savanna chimpanzees to modeling the evolution of early hominin traits
> and informing conservation programs for these endangered apes.
> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/evan.21924

Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes

<3c824931-9265-4151-8367-9e7ac4b51efdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11597&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11597

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:00 UTC

Pandora wrote:

> Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) in savanna landscapes.

Chimps aren't a model for human ancestors. In all probability the LCA was
totally unrecognizable as a chimp.

This is the safest, most conservative assumption.

Why?

Because there are no chimp fossils. None what so over. Not within HALF the
age of erectus. Which does imply that we have found them only we didn't
know they were chimp ancestors. That, they looked so un chimp like we
just assumed they were something else.

Whatever the case, chimps did evolve from upright walkers who probably
used tools in a way that people like to pretend that chimps do. So it was
never a case where we started out like a chimp, hit a savanna and then
morphed into humans. It was more likely a case where the LCA was
already there, and competition with the human side of the line drove them
into the jungle and into the trees, where they lost upright walking in favor
of knuckle walking.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/666161523312492544

Re: Chimpanzees in savanna landscapes

<slnsq0$3as$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11660&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11660

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:09:20 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 05:09 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 oktober 2021 om 18:43:46 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:
>
> Incredible, the old PAs keep producing prejudiced fantasies like (in the Introduction):
> "The effects of such open & dry landscapes & the environmental pressures ass.x them may have contributed to the evol.split of the Homo & Pan lineages."

Here is the REAL quote:

"The effects of such open and dry landscapes and the environmental pressures
associated with them may have contributed to the evolutionary split of the
Homo and Pan lineages."

> How is it possible that self-declared "scientists" can be so stupid??

As opposed to self declared "scientists" believing in snorkel noses?