From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Human brain size decrease
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:54:07 +0200
 by: Pandora - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:54 UTC

When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point
Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants.

Abstract

Human brain size nearly quadrupled in the six million years since Homo
last shared a common ancestor with chimpanzees, but human brains are
thought to have decreased in volume since the end of the last Ice Age.
The timing and reason for this decrease is enigmatic. Here we use
change-point analysis to estimate the timing of changes in the rate of
hominin brain evolution. We find that hominin brains experienced
positive rate changes at 2.1 and 1.5 million years ago, coincident
with the early evolution of Homo and technological innovations evident
in the archeological record. But we also find that human brain size
reduction was surprisingly recent, occurring in the last 3,000 years.
Our dating does not support hypotheses concerning brain size reduction
as a by-product of body size reduction, a result of a shift to an
agricultural diet, or a consequence of self-domestication. We suggest
our analysis supports the hypothesis that the recent decrease in brain
size may instead result from the externalization of knowledge and
advantages of group-level decision-making due in part to the advent of
social systems of distributed cognition and the storage and sharing of
information. Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains
contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence. Although
difficult to study in the deep history of Homo, the impacts of group
size, social organization, collective intelligence and other potential
selective forces on brain evolution can be elucidated using ants as
models. The remarkable ecological diversity of ants and their species
richness encompasses forms convergent in aspects of human sociality,
including large group size, agrarian life histories, division of
labor, and collective cognition. Ants provide a wide range of social
systems to generate and test hypotheses concerning brain size
enlargement or reduction and aid in interpreting patterns of brain
evolution identified in humans. Although humans and ants represent
very different routes in social and cognitive evolution, the insights
ants offer can broadly inform us of the selective forces that
influence brain size.

Open access:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639/full

Re: Human brain size decrease

<a20585c7-ae01-418b-ad4e-ee7c72cd37d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11595&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11595

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Human brain size decrease
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:42 UTC

Thanks, see my comment there.

Op woensdag 27 oktober 2021 om 18:54:09 UTC+2 schreef Pandora:
> When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point
> Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants.
> Human brain size nearly quadrupled in the six million years since Homo
> last shared a common ancestor with chimpanzees, but human brains are
> thought to have decreased in volume since the end of the last Ice Age.
> The timing and reason for this decrease is enigmatic. Here we use
> change-point analysis to estimate the timing of changes in the rate of
> hominin brain evolution. We find that hominin brains experienced
> positive rate changes at 2.1 and 1.5 million years ago, coincident
> with the early evolution of Homo and technological innovations evident
> in the archeological record. But we also find that human brain size
> reduction was surprisingly recent, occurring in the last 3,000 years.
> Our dating does not support hypotheses concerning brain size reduction
> as a by-product of body size reduction, a result of a shift to an
> agricultural diet, or a consequence of self-domestication. We suggest
> our analysis supports the hypothesis that the recent decrease in brain
> size may instead result from the externalization of knowledge and
> advantages of group-level decision-making due in part to the advent of
> social systems of distributed cognition and the storage and sharing of
> information. Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains
> contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence. Although
> difficult to study in the deep history of Homo, the impacts of group
> size, social organization, collective intelligence and other potential
> selective forces on brain evolution can be elucidated using ants as
> models. The remarkable ecological diversity of ants and their species
> richness encompasses forms convergent in aspects of human sociality,
> including large group size, agrarian life histories, division of
> labor, and collective cognition. Ants provide a wide range of social
> systems to generate and test hypotheses concerning brain size
> enlargement or reduction and aid in interpreting patterns of brain
> evolution identified in humans. Although humans and ants represent
> very different routes in social and cognitive evolution, the insights
> ants offer can broadly inform us of the selective forces that
> influence brain size.
> https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639/full

Re: Human brain size decrease

<2acf8c69-0b79-4379-922a-4d7f896b93e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11599&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11599

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:49 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 12:54:09 PM UTC-4, Pandora wrote:
> When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point
> Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants.
>
> Abstract
>
> Human brain size nearly quadrupled in the six million years since Homo
> last shared a common ancestor with chimpanzees, but human brains are
> thought to have decreased in volume since the end of the last Ice Age.
> The timing and reason for this decrease is enigmatic. Here we use
> change-point analysis to estimate the timing of changes in the rate of
> hominin brain evolution. We find that hominin brains experienced
> positive rate changes at 2.1 and 1.5 million years ago, coincident
> with the early evolution of Homo and technological innovations evident
> in the archeological record. But we also find that human brain size
> reduction was surprisingly recent, occurring in the last 3,000 years.
> Our dating does not support hypotheses concerning brain size reduction
> as a by-product of body size reduction, a result of a shift to an
> agricultural diet, or a consequence of self-domestication. We suggest
> our analysis supports the hypothesis that the recent decrease in brain
> size may instead result from the externalization of knowledge and
> advantages of group-level decision-making due in part to the advent of
> social systems of distributed cognition and the storage and sharing of
> information. Humans live in social groups in which multiple brains
> contribute to the emergence of collective intelligence. Although
> difficult to study in the deep history of Homo, the impacts of group
> size, social organization, collective intelligence and other potential
> selective forces on brain evolution can be elucidated using ants as
> models. The remarkable ecological diversity of ants and their species
> richness encompasses forms convergent in aspects of human sociality,
> including large group size, agrarian life histories, division of
> labor, and collective cognition. Ants provide a wide range of social
> systems to generate and test hypotheses concerning brain size
> enlargement or reduction and aid in interpreting patterns of brain
> evolution identified in humans. Although humans and ants represent
> very different routes in social and cognitive evolution, the insights
> ants offer can broadly inform us of the selective forces that
> influence brain size.
>
> Open access:
> https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639/full
Thanks Pandora, interesting comparison.

Re: Human brain size decrease

<2da470d1-e27a-4434-98a9-65f2a65983d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11605&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11605

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:15:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: yelwo...@gmail.com (Paul Crowley)
 by: Paul Crowley - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:15 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 5:54:09 PM UTC+1, Pandora wrote:

> When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point
> Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants.

> https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639/full

> Although humans and ants represent very different routes in
> social and cognitive evolution, the insights ants offer can broadly
> inform us of the selective forces that influence brain size.

An entry for the Ig Nobels?

An explanation based on simple mechanics will
always be more parsimonious.

Take a look at human ancestral hair: i.e. that of
peoples native to tropics. Firstly, it is costly. It
would not be present if it wasn't needed. So
what's the need? It's not protection against
heat -- humans can usually find shade during the
day, and no other tropical species have anything
like it. Nor is there substantial evidence that
humans are (or ever have been) selected against
as the result of exposure to heat.

But humans who have to go into cold waters to
fish, or travel across dangerous water channels
do drown. Often hypothermia, affecting the
brain, is the cause or a major contributory
factor. Insulation that can reduce the incidence
will be selected for.

That brain insulation takes two forms: larger
brains, and dense, extensive head hair.

When the pressure of that selection eases, as
when the bulk of the population ceases to fish in
cold waters, or travels less (or with less risk) over
such waters, or stops living on coasts exposed to
occasional tsunamis, selective pressures will
decline and the substantial costs involved will
ensure that brain size declines.

We can see this in most human populations over
the last few thousand years. This conclusion is
reinforced by the example of h.naledi -- a
population we can assume was never close to
the sea, and rarely exposed to the night cold
outside its caves.

Re: Human brain size decrease

<2b0c17b1-a21e-4bab-879b-691a61309d5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11621&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11621

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:42 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 4:15:13 PM UTC-4, Paul Crowley wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 5:54:09 PM UTC+1, Pandora wrote:
>
> > When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point
> > Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants.
> > https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639/full
> > Although humans and ants represent very different routes in
> > social and cognitive evolution, the insights ants offer can broadly
> > inform us of the selective forces that influence brain size.
> An entry for the Ig Nobels?
No, just a discourse three levels above your mental acuity.

> An explanation based on simple mechanics will
> always be more parsimonious.
You confuse effects of social organization with effects of biological organization.

> Take a look at human ancestral hair: i.e. that of
> peoples native to tropics.

People of tropical ancestry have tightly coiled hair, selected for sun-shading scalp while allowing ventilation superior to straight hair, especially advantageous in hot humid climate.
People of temperate ancestry have straight or slightly wavy non-coiled hair, selected for thermal insulative qualities, similar to other primates and neanderthals.

Firstly, it is costly.

No more than in any other mammal.

It
> would not be present if it wasn't needed.

Also true of earlobes. So?

So
> what's the need? It's not protection against
> heat -- humans can usually find shade during the
> day, and no other tropical species have anything
> like it. Nor is there substantial evidence that
> humans are (or ever have been) selected against
> as the result of exposure to heat.

See my explanation for tightly coiled hair above.

Or go on a epic journey to Fantasy Island. Your choice.

> But humans who have to go into cold waters to
> fish, or travel across dangerous water channels
> do drown. Often hypothermia, affecting the
> brain, is the cause or a major contributory
> factor. Insulation that can reduce the incidence
> will be selected for.
>
> That brain insulation takes two forms: larger
> brains, and dense, extensive head hair.
>
> When the pressure of that selection eases, as
> when the bulk of the population ceases to fish in
> cold waters, or travels less (or with less risk) over
> such waters, or stops living on coasts exposed to
> occasional tsunamis, selective pressures will
> decline and the substantial costs involved will
> ensure that brain size declines.
>
> We can see this in most human populations over
> the last few thousand years. This conclusion is
> reinforced by the example of h.naledi -- a
> population we can assume was never close to
> the sea, and rarely exposed to the night cold
> outside its caves.

Mermaid Follies.