And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX -- Alan Cox

tech / sci.math / Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???

SubjectAuthor
* time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given theArchimedes Plutonium
+- Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have givenHe
`- Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have givenArchimedes Plutonium

1
time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???

<16dc29ed-bab2-4dbc-9bb1-6df16beb0f19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=116298&group=sci.math#116298

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 19:13:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given the
From: plutoniu...@gmail.com (Archimedes Plutonium)
 by: Archimedes Plutonium - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 02:13 UTC

I watched just 5 minutes of Annika on PBS Masterpiece. A 6 part series of murder mystery. I turned the tv off because some actors are heavily accented that I could not understand a word they said. Not worth my time.
But it also leaves me with the question of whether Moby Dick's novel by Melville is time to be down-graded, and not taught in schools at all, because of its violence towards animals, in particular whales.

It is a highly praised novel for its "symbolism". But can it have been written without using whales???

I would say that teaching with Moby Dick is over and done with, for it teaches mostly the idea to young people-- go out and kill this and that animal.

I say, discontinue Moby Dick in school teaching.

Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???
Subscribe

Archimedes Plutonium's profile photo
Archimedes Plutonium<plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com>
Oct 16, 2022, 9:26:17 PM (yesterday)

to Plutonium Atom Universe

Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???

So the King of Science has a new mystery murder to see if it has any logical coherence. AP is not expecting much, for in all the world of mathematics, there is no math professor alive today who can speak of the truth of conic sections-- the simple truth, and yet many High School students are smarter than the math professor in geometry-- the slant cut of cone is a Oval, never the ellipse. Simple experiment of drop a Kerr lid inside paper cone, or visualize a slant cut in cylinder is truly a ellipse, so a cone cannot be an ellipse.

So, well what does that prove about math professors? They are dumber than many High School students. And likely math professors are far dumber in logic than a mystery writer of novels. Provided the Magpie Murders pan out.

But, now, AP may just find a mystery novelist who has a marble of logical intelligence that beats out all math professors with their 1/2 to 1/3 marble of logical brains.

Now, already this 1st episode of Magpie Murders is not going logical. Maybe Alan Cumming should have prepared the viewer with the idea that 2 stories were unfolding at the same time-- two histories, for I sometimes confused the detective Pundt for the author Alan. Maybe if Mr. Cumming had told us there were 2 stories running parallel, would have made it better.

AP, your grader of murder mysteries shown on TV. Recapping the huge flaw of Broadchurch-- the lady detective knew her husband was not at home during the murder yet the writer has her not question her husband--- outright F-grade on Logic. And AP ceased watching Broadchurch. Will Magpie Murders fail dismally also??

AP
Archimedes Plutonium's profile photo
Archimedes Plutonium<plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com>
3:36 PM (5 hours ago)

to Plutonium Atom Universe
Alright, I am going to stop watching Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. The deal with murder mysteries is that they should be 1 hour long only, and really foolish to play the public with 6 hours of one story. What Mr. Horowitz has here is an illogical Science Fiction Murder Mystery, a new category of either sci-fi or of a murder mystery.

I could not stomach Broadchurch recent murder mystery for the illogic of the lady detective knew her husband was "out the night of the murder" and too dumb to question him "where the hell were you". And something like that is not worth 6 or 12 hours out of my life to watch some hornswaggled made up b.s.

Magpie Murders is the same genre-- hornswaggled made up b.s. of illogical plot. In the first episode alone makes no logical sense-- but then, is murder itself ever logical? Or is all murder that of insanity? No, I would say that some murders are logical. But that is a different story, not here to discuss.

A murder mystery is bad when the viewer -- can see the author in the illogical scenes, for once the mind asks a question-- why did the author do it that way, then the entire story is trashed.

In the first episode-- as Susan asks-- why not sleeping pills instead of jumping off a roof and smashing your bones. But also, why jump off a roof holding a cell-phone, as we see Alan's cellphone while his sister was visiting.. Would a cellphone survive a fall, and the man dies? So the solicitor comes around and rings Alan, and the signal is around the side where the tower is that we find the cellphone with Alan dead. Can a cellphone survive but the person dies, is the question of logic?

So no, AP will not watch any further the Magpie Murders. I have more important things to do in life than throw away 5 hours more.

As for the follow on mystery of "Annika" with its many episodes, no way, the British have actors with heavy accents-- very hard to make out what they are saying. Nothing more annoying in a murder mystery than losing half the dialogue. Turn off.

AP recommendation-- BBC and PBS-- too much murder mystery, that is illogical-- give us more documentaries or NATURE-- where we learn something, not hornswaggle away the hours of our life.

AP
Archimedes Plutonium's profile photo
Archimedes Plutonium<plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com>
4:10 PM (5 hours ago)

to Plutonium Atom Universe
TV, especially PBS, should be more like a School, a schoolroom, where we learn, but have fun also. Now a schoolroom has lessons along with playtime where kids go outside and play free time. And so, school should not be 8 hours of fun time, playing, not learning. And this equation has come to PBS and TV screens all over the world. We make fun TV, but not educational tv. We fill Sundays with hornswaggling murder mysteries that goes on for 6 hours or 12 hours, dwelling over some fictional hornswaggle.

When better-- we should make every murder mystery capped by 1 hour. There is no imagination for a murder mystery worth 6 hours or 12 hours of wasted time out of people's lives.

Now sure, if we had 6 hours or 12 hours on the birds of England, well, that is mighty mighty worthwhile or say, the dogs of England, or the cats of England. Or 6 hours on archaelogy or geology of England, where we learn something genuine and worthwhile.

What possible learning can one take away from watching a "Whodunit" "Broadchurch" or "Magpie Murders" hornswaggled made up fiction plot. Almost zero worth.

Sad, that more people in England and USA will know more about some fictional Susan editor, than they will ever know who Michael Faraday was.

AP

Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???

<2cfc86db-8f9a-490e-aa09-49815bb3cf62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=116307&group=sci.math#116307

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 20:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given
From: enihcamg...@hotmail.com (He)
 by: He - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 03:54 UTC

Come try out http://chattingforall.atwebpages.com/theclickgame/hello.html

Tule, proovi järgi http://chattingforall.atwebpages.com/theclickgame/hello.html

;o)

Re: time to downgrade Melville's Moby/Alright, the British have given the King of Science a new murder mystery to rate and judge-- Magpie Murders. Several weeks ago AP destroys the Broadchurch mystery as illogical. Will Magpie Murders fair better???

<c48f27a8-1e32-4bdf-956d-0639421fe7e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=116324&group=sci.math#116324

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 01:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: plutoniu...@gmail.com (Archimedes Plutonium)
 by: Archimedes Plutonium - Wed, 19 Oct 2022 08:10 UTC

I did not know the BBC was 100 years old as of yesterday-today? May I offer some advice, please. Your Sunday's are becoming too top heavy in murder mysteries with some during the week also.

Maybe this is due to the fact that Agatha Christie had too much influence on British life.

Instead of so much murder mysteries and these are now dragging out to be 6 episodes or 12 episodes. Instead of that stuff.

How about a return to things like the Classics of I, Claudius. Or comedy like the Monty Python or the Durrells in Corfu. Have Sundays be an Upbeat day in drama, not the murder mystery.

Seems like every other week in Masterpiece Sunday drama we have a new detective-- Miss Marple, then Hercule Periot then .... and now Atticus Pundt with a umlaut.

Why the proliferation of murder mystery, and Sundays at that. Sunday is supposed to be good cheer, and why not have drama like All Creatures Great and Small rather than this morbid murder mysteries written by authors who do not have two logical pennies to rub together.

AP, King of Science, especially Physics