From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:07:20 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

On 2023-02-19 18:40, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-02-18, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-02-18 14:09, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> Steam locos were not rated in horsepower, but 'tractive effort' . How
>>> many tons of pull they could generate before the wheels slipped.
>>>
>>> That's why they had a lot of driving wheels - at least four, generally 6
>>> and up to 8.
>
>> I suppose this assumes that the tracks do not bend, vertically or
>> horizontally, or some of the wheels could loose pressure, as there are
>> no springs on the loco wheels (but the wagons do have them, so there
>> must be imperfections on the tracks).
>
> Steam locomotive drivers are sprung. It's just that the suspension is
> inboard of the wheels (as opposed to freight cars and diesel locomotives
> where the suspension is on the outside).

Ok, my mistake.

But can the wheels adjust independently? Or all of them in a block?

I have difficulties imagining they move independently, because there is
a long beam (I don't know the correct English term, sorry) connecting
all those wheels to the steam cylinder. Also there are a lot of metal
tubings.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

<slrntv5eev.9h0.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=116452&group=sci.electronics.design#116452

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:07:01 -0000 (UTC)
<op.1z61ypu3mvhs6z@ryzen.home> <vfckbjx6n2.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<ts8cfa$1ek5o$5@dont-email.me> <op.1z7kpfdbmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<J_ycnU1-N902pXX-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<fd6nbjxdmp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <op.10ewq3smmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<tsj2te$2udcp$1@dont-email.me> <op.10i3h1jnmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<tsqgr1$g9i$5@dont-email.me> <tsqim3$vvi$3@dont-email.me>
<1un7cjxs8m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <slrntv4npo.9h0.dan@djph.net>
<8lfacjx84k.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:07 UTC

On 2023-02-19, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-02-19 18:40, Dan Purgert wrote:

>>> I suppose this assumes that the tracks do not bend, vertically or
>>> horizontally, or some of the wheels could loose pressure, as there are
>>> no springs on the loco wheels (but the wagons do have them, so there
>>> must be imperfections on the tracks).
>>
>> Steam locomotive drivers are sprung. It's just that the suspension is
>> inboard of the wheels (as opposed to freight cars and diesel locomotives
>> where the suspension is on the outside).
>
> Ok, my mistake.
>
> But can the wheels adjust independently? Or all of them in a block?
>
> I have difficulties imagining they move independently, because there is
> a long beam (I don't know the correct English term, sorry) connecting
> all those wheels to the steam cylinder. Also there are a lot of metal
> tubings.

Unlike on model trains (where the main drive rods are solid), full-scale
(i.e. "100 mm to the meter" / "12 inch to the foot" scale) drive rods
are only as long as they need to be to get between each driver.

That is, they're hinged at the wheel crankpins. Depending on the exact
locomotive, this means that the rods were either stacked on the pin; or
there was a sub-assembly for each one.

For example, on the pic of the cab-forward posted by Scott in MID
<SVtIL.186873$Ldj8.77992@fx47.iad>; you can clearly see that joint pin
just forward of the main crankpin (and if you look closely, just
rearwars of the crankpin of driver #3 -- but that's hidden a bit by the
valve and piston gear.

--
|_|O|_|