No one wants war. -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Surge protector is a lie?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Surge protector is a lie?Ricky
+- Re: Surge protector is a lie?upsidedown
`- Re: Surge protector is a lie?Carlos E.R.

1
Re: Surge protector is a lie?

<8c20d6ca-46e1-430f-8787-16df23e3c7b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=117987&group=sci.electronics.design#117987

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 10:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Surge protector is a lie?
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 17:14 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 12:25:05 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 3/15/2023 12:12 PM, Andrew wrote:

> >> Surge protectors are a lot cheaper than appliances like microwave, TV
> >> or computer. I had problems with all before using surge protectors.
> >> Living in a treed area, high tension line would fall onto low tension
> >> line to houses causing the voltage surge.
> >
> > HT lines generally do not cross over LV lines for this reason.
> >
> > All the places where I have seen this happens there is always
> > an additional bare copper earth line above the 3 phases
> > and neutral, and this extra earth is connected to earth
> > at each of the supporting poles.
> >
> > These days the LV stuff is being replaced with twisted bundles
> > of insulated aluminium cable anyway which should minimise the
> > problem.
> I do not know about their wiring here. Service to my street is
> underground but above ground leads to it. In the past I recall wet
> branches falling causing the short between HT and LT.

Why would different voltage power lines be running on the same poles??? By "LT", do you mean phone and cable?

--

Rick C.

-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Surge protector is a lie?

<kod41ip7iirpteh7mps6111fkv6nj5liu2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=118019&group=sci.electronics.design#118019

From: upsided...@downunder.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 23:43:35 +0200
 by: upsided...@downunder.com - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 21:43 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 10:14:57 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 12:25:05?PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
>> On 3/15/2023 12:12 PM, Andrew wrote:
>> > On 11/03/2023 18:47, Frank wrote:

>> > These days the LV stuff is being replaced with twisted bundles
>> > of insulated aluminium cable anyway which should minimise the
>> > problem.

Sounds like Aerial Bundled Cable (ABC).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_bundled_cable

>> I do not know about their wiring here. Service to my street is
>> underground but above ground leads to it. In the past I recall wet
>> branches falling causing the short between HT and LT.
>
>Why would different voltage power lines be running on the same poles??? By "LT", do you mean phone and cable?

IEC defines Low Voltage as 50 to 1000 Vac. Below 50 V is Extra-low
Voltage (ELV) and above 1000 Vac high voltage.
,

Re: Surge protector is a lie?

<nc3rejx4u.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=118368&group=sci.electronics.design#118368

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 11:54:47 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:54 UTC

On 2023-03-15 18:14, Ricky wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 12:25:05 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

>>> HT lines generally do not cross over LV lines for this reason.
>>>
>>> All the places where I have seen this happens there is always
>>> an additional bare copper earth line above the 3 phases
>>> and neutral, and this extra earth is connected to earth
>>> at each of the supporting poles.
>>>
>>> These days the LV stuff is being replaced with twisted bundles
>>> of insulated aluminium cable anyway which should minimise the
>>> problem.
>> I do not know about their wiring here. Service to my street is
>> underground but above ground leads to it. In the past I recall wet
>> branches falling causing the short between HT and LT.
>
> Why would different voltage power lines be running on the same poles??? By "LT", do you mean phone and cable?

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_pole>

See the fifth picture (Typical North American utility pole)

--
Cheers, Carlos.