Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 13:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Find oil life before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up
From: yong...@yahoo.com (Yong Huang)
 by: Yong Huang - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 20:11 UTC

Is it possible to find out how much oil life is left before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up? Or when or at what mileage the OLM was last reset? I can't find the receipt from the shop where I had the oil changed last time. I know only they reset OLM. Instead of waiting for the reminder to pop up, I'd like to know how much time or mileage remains, since I'm planning for a long-distance trip. Thank you!
(2018 Toyota Sienna if the model matters)

Update: I just went and had oil changed during lunch. But I'm still curious about what I was asking above. Thanks again.

Re: Find oil life before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up

<sa8f3r$o4k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1191&group=rec.autos.tech#1191

From: Nos...@invalid.com (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:44:45 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 20:44 UTC

Yong Huang wrote:
> Is it possible to find out how much oil life is left before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up? Or when or at what mileage the OLM was last reset? I can't find the receipt from the shop where I had the oil changed last time. I know only they reset OLM. Instead of waiting for the reminder to pop up, I'd like to know how much time or mileage remains, since I'm planning for a long-distance trip. Thank you!
> (2018 Toyota Sienna if the model matters)
>
> Update: I just went and had oil changed during lunch. But I'm still curious about what I was asking above. Thanks again.

Thank god! You narrowly averted disaster.

Re: Find oil life before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up

<sabi4o$rmi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1192&group=rec.autos.tech#1192

From: csr...@NOTyahoo.com (Steve W.)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:54:54 -0400
 by: Steve W. - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 00:54 UTC

Yong Huang wrote:
> Is it possible to find out how much oil life is left before the Oil
> Life Monitor reminder pops up? Or when or at what mileage the OLM was
> last reset? I can't find the receipt from the shop where I had the
> oil changed last time. I know only they reset OLM. Instead of waiting
> for the reminder to pop up, I'd like to know how much time or mileage
> remains, since I'm planning for a long-distance trip. Thank you!
> (2018 Toyota Sienna if the model matters)
>
> Update: I just went and had oil changed during lunch. But I'm still
> curious about what I was asking above. Thanks again.

I refuse to go by the oil lights on any vehicle because most are a joke.
For instance on many FCA products (and others) the lights are triggered
only by mileage. On many that is set between 7000 - 10000 miles. Doesn't
matter if you idle the car for 30 days straight or you drag race it
daily, still waits for the miles. My SOP is to change conventional oils
at 4000 miles for normal use and synthetics at 6000 miles. Oil and
filters are cheap compared to a replacement engine that fails due to
sludge and acids building up do to the extended drains.

The vehicle in question a 2018 Toyota Sienna is set for 5000 miles
before telling you it needs an oil change.
To reset it you start with the key on engine off, if you have the push
to start button you tap it twice without stepping on the brake.
Now use the navigation button on the steering wheel to get to settings,
select it, then go to maintenance reset and select yes.
Turn the ignition off.

What I normally do is to go to the last trip meter on the display, so
trip B on many cars these days, and reset that to zero as well. Then you
have a way to know how long the oil has been in there.
Or if you go to many parts stores you can get oil change clings to put
on the glass.

--
Steve W.