Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 04:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Have a Major Safe, probably 45 years old. Moved it from office to home.
From: theca...@hotmail.com (Roger Cann)
 by: Roger Cann - Mon, 3 May 2021 11:23 UTC

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 1:46:46 PM UTC-4, Patricia Bedford wrote:
> Was able to open after the move, but not necessary to always lock. Emptied
> safe and locked and took several attempts before being able to unlock. It is a
> long combination with several turns and four stops. Is there anything that I can
> do to make it easier to lock and unlock after all this time?

Very easy to service this safe. Your local locksmith should be able to help. And they DON'T have to be a member of any national association like SAVTA to service your safe.

Re: Have a Major Safe, probably 45 years old. Moved it from office to home.

<202106141112158102-nobody@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18&group=alt.locksmithing#18

From: nob...@example.com (Jay Hennigan)
Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:12:15 -0700
 by: Jay Hennigan - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:12 UTC

On 2021-05-03 11:23:57 +0000, Roger Cann said:

> On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 1:46:46 PM UTC-4, Patricia Bedford wrote:
>> Was able to open after the move, but not necessary to always lock. Emptied
>> safe and locked and took several attempts before being able to unlock. It is a
>> long combination with several turns and four stops. Is there anything
>> that I can
>> do to make it easier to lock and unlock after all this time?
>
> Very easy to service this safe. Your local locksmith should be able to
> help. And they DON'T have to be a member of any national association
> like SAVTA to service your safe.

Except "your local locksmith" as found on a web search is often a
scammer who drills out Kwiksets, or maybe someone whose skills are
limited to prying car doors open to push the button. Your mileage may
vary considerably.

Indeed, your old-school brick-and-mortar locksmith who has been in
business for more than a decade and has done at least a minimal amount
of safe work can likely handle it, but the original poster is more than
likely to run into someone not competent by using Google to find a
"local locksmith".

And, your local old-school locksmith who has been in business for more
than a decade and has done at least a minimal amount of safe work is
likely to be a member of ALOA and probably SAVTA. You're not going to
pay a substantial premium between a bonafide competent local locksmith
familiar with safe work and one who cares enough about the trade to be
a member of a professional association.

To put it another way, hiring a SAVTA member locksmith pretty much
assures that the safe will be properly serviced and good for at least a
couple more decades of trouble-free operation. Hiring a "local
locksmith" from a web search is pretty much a crapshoot and you may
wind up with an unservicable or destroyed safe.