From: sailfish...@sailfisherman.com (Sail Fisherman)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 01:36:20 +0900
 by: Sail Fisherman - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 16:36 UTC

The air conditioning is blowing just air.
Not hot but not cold.

I don't think the AC compressor is engaging.
But I don't know how to tell for sure.

The belt is spinning the AC compressor but I don't know how to tell if the
compressor clutch is actually engaged (the "knobs" are not spinning).

There is a plug with two wires which is mounted on the compressor.

Can I jump 12V to one of those two wires to see if the clutch engages?
Will it hurt the ECU?

Re: Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?

<sbnmjb$4lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1201&group=rec.autos.tech#1201

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 14:40:41 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 18:40 UTC

On 7/2/21 12:36 PM, Sail Fisherman wrote:
> The air conditioning is blowing just air.
> Not hot but not cold.
>
> I don't think the AC compressor is engaging.
> But I don't know how to tell for sure.
>
> The belt is spinning the AC compressor but I don't know how to tell if the
> compressor clutch is actually engaged (the "knobs" are not spinning).
>
> There is a plug with two wires which is mounted on the compressor.
>
> Can I jump 12V to one of those two wires to see if the clutch engages?
> Will it hurt the ECU?

I'm no mechanic but I'd suspect no/low refrigerant first. Do A/C systems
still have a sight glass to check its level like they did back in the day?

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Re: Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?

<sbo4al$408$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1202&group=rec.autos.tech#1202

From: csr...@NOTyahoo.com (Steve W.)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 18:35:05 -0400
 by: Steve W. - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 22:35 UTC

Sail Fisherman wrote:
> The air conditioning is blowing just air.
> Not hot but not cold.
>
> I don't think the AC compressor is engaging.
> But I don't know how to tell for sure.
>
> The belt is spinning the AC compressor but I don't know how to tell if the
> compressor clutch is actually engaged (the "knobs" are not spinning).
>
> There is a plug with two wires which is mounted on the compressor.
>
> Can I jump 12V to one of those two wires to see if the clutch engages?
> Will it hurt the ECU?

Won't hurt the ECU as long as you pull the connector off and only jumper
to the correct wires. One is ground and one gets power, most however
have the ground connected so that the engine is also part of the ground
side. Hook power to the ground side and you will have an issue.

However as stated in the other comment, the more likely issue is low
refrigerant. If you want more info including wiring diagrams and testing
methods might I suggest 2CarPros.com. Enter in as much information as
you can about the vehicle.

--
Steve W.

Re: Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?

<sbo5qs$5ic$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1203&group=rec.autos.tech#1203

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 2 Jul 2021 23:00:44 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 23:00 UTC

Sail Fisherman <sailfisherman@sailfisherman.com> wrote:
>The air conditioning is blowing just air.
>Not hot but not cold.
>
>I don't think the AC compressor is engaging.
>But I don't know how to tell for sure.
>
>The belt is spinning the AC compressor but I don't know how to tell if the
>compressor clutch is actually engaged (the "knobs" are not spinning).
>
>There is a plug with two wires which is mounted on the compressor.
>
>Can I jump 12V to one of those two wires to see if the clutch engages?
>Will it hurt the ECU?

You could probably do that, but it would be easier to just attach a meter
and see if there is 12V on the thing to engage the clutch.

When the clutch engages, the effect is very clear when the hood is up.
The ka-chunk and then the change in running sound is very distinctive.

Note that if the system pressures are not right, the safety switches needed
to allow the clutch to engage may be open.
--scott