If you think the system is working, ask someone who's waiting for a prompt.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

SubjectAuthor
* Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to SonyAlfred Molon
+* Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to SonyDavid Taylor
|`- Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sonygeoff
`* Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to SonyNeil
 `* Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sonynospam
  +- Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sonynospam
  `- Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sonyted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<e_MlK.210677$d21.187744@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12044&group=rec.photo.digital#12044

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: alfred_m...@yahoo.com (Alfred Molon)
Subject: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 19:04:10 +0200
 by: Alfred Molon - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 17:04 UTC

https://petapixel.com/2022/05/31/smartphone-cameras-will-be-superior-to-slrs-by-2024-says-sony-ceo/

"... this will be possible thanks to the quality of photos that can be
achieved by combining its sensors, larger apertures, and computational
photography technology."

and

"Associated presentation materials point to Sony’s belief that higher
performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
in high-end smartphone models — Sony expects the average size of
high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
it calls “quantum saturation” and artificial intelligence processing
(computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."

--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<t788is$dfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12046&group=rec.photo.digital#12046

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 18:45:00 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 17:45 UTC

On 01/06/2022 18:04, Alfred Molon wrote:
> https://petapixel.com/2022/05/31/smartphone-cameras-will-be-superior-to-slrs-by-2024-says-sony-ceo/
>
> "... this will be possible thanks to the quality of photos that can be
> achieved by combining its sensors, larger apertures, and computational
> photography technology."
>
> and
>
> "Associated presentation materials point to Sony’s belief that higher
> performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
> sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
> in high-end smartphone models — Sony expects the average size of
> high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
> it calls “quantum saturation” and artificial intelligence processing
> (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
> cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."

I can believe this, seeing the results I get already from a 2021 Google Pixel 6
phone. The limit now is the telephoto end, and I have to accept that
limitation. I think that you will always need a "somewhat" bigger lens for
great telephoto.

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<CqKdnaH8tJBqcgr_nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12047&group=rec.photo.digital#12047

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 11:02:10 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 23:02 UTC

On 2/06/2022 5:45 am, David Taylor wrote:
> On 01/06/2022 18:04, Alfred Molon wrote:
>> https://petapixel.com/2022/05/31/smartphone-cameras-will-be-superior-to-slrs-by-2024-says-sony-ceo/
>>

>> "... this will be possible thanks to the quality of photos that can be
>> achieved by combining its sensors, larger apertures, and computational
>> photography technology."
>>
>> and
>>
>> "Associated presentation materials point to Sony’s belief that higher
>> performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
>> sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
>> in high-end smartphone models — Sony expects the average size of
>> high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
>> it calls “quantum saturation” and artificial intelligence processing
>> (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
>> cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."
>
> I can believe this, seeing the results I get already from a 2021 Google
> Pixel 6 phone.  The limit now is the telephoto end, and I have to accept
> that limitation.  I think that you will always need a "somewhat" bigger
> lens for great telephoto.

I guess the AI can iron out the deficiencies in the inherent physical
lens surface lower accuracy and effect of any other imperfections in the
hugely(?!) smaller size.

Would presumably need to be calibrated for each individual lens.

And then there is dust and other contamination to address, which again
is more critical because of the relative size scale.

geoff

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<t7ap8h$83u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12059&group=rec.photo.digital#12059

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 12:41:53 -0400
 by: Neil - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:41 UTC

On 6/1/2022 1:04 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> https://petapixel.com/2022/05/31/smartphone-cameras-will-be-superior-to-slrs-by-2024-says-sony-ceo/
>

> "... this will be possible thanks to the quality of photos that can be
> achieved by combining its sensors, larger apertures, and computational
> photography technology."
>
> and
>
> "Associated presentation materials point to Sony’s belief that higher
> performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
> sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
> in high-end smartphone models — Sony expects the average size of
> high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
> it calls “quantum saturation” and artificial intelligence processing
> (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
> cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."

Curious that some would think that these features wouldn't be included
in newer ILCs, as well. It's obvious that most people won't need such
cameras, but if that has not always been the case Brownies and Polaroids
probably wouldn't have existed.

--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<020620221247529654%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12060&group=rec.photo.digital#12060

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 12:47:52 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:47 UTC

In article <t7ap8h$83u$1@dont-email.me>, Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
wrote:

> > "Associated presentation materials point to Sony¹s belief that higher
> > performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
> > sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
> > in high-end smartphone models ‹ Sony expects the average size of
> > high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
> > it calls ³quantum saturation² and artificial intelligence processing
> > (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
> > cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."
> >
> Curious that some would think that these features wouldn't be included
> in newer ILCs, as well.

so far, traditional cameras have not done so and it's unlikely that
will change.

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<030620220723183686%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12086&group=rec.photo.digital#12086

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 07:23:18 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 11:23 UTC

In article <ff7d78ec-366e-422a-a1d9-a08ce10378f4n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Curious that some would think that these features wouldn't be included
> > > in newer ILCs, as well.
> > so far, traditional cameras have not done so and it's unlikely that
> > will change.
>
> It's too expensive. If top phones were cameras with their sales levels, they'd cost $20,000 a piece.

that is very much false. there are phones that sell in low quantities
with more capable hardware than any camera, and do not cost anywhere
near $20k.

Re: Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony

<jg7d2pFeg13U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12169&group=rec.photo.digital#12169

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: 6 Jun 2022 22:23:21 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 22:23 UTC

In article <020620221247529654%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <t7ap8h$83u$1@dont-email.me>, Neil <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
>wrote:
>

>> > "Associated presentation materials point to Sony�s belief that higher
>> > performance camera systems are being developed that are increasing the
>> > sensor size and combining that with better image signal processors (ISP)
>> > in high-end smartphone models � Sony expects the average size of
>> > high-end sensors to double by 2024. These two factors together with what
>> > it calls �quantum saturation� and artificial intelligence processing
>> > (computational photography), Sony believes that interchangeable lens
>> > cameras (ILCs) will be left behind by smartphone technology."
>> >
>> Curious that some would think that these features wouldn't be included
>> in newer ILCs, as well.
>
>so far, traditional cameras have not done so and it's unlikely that
>will change.

Well, the quote is from Sony, which makes smartphones and DSLRs. Why wouldn't
they share the tech across their whole line?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

tech / rec.photo.digital / Smartphones to surpass ILCs by 2024 according to Sony