If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary form.

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Siberian High

SubjectAuthor
* Siberian HighPaul Crowley
+- Re: Siberian HighMario Petrinovic
+* Re: Siberian HighI Envy JTEM
|`- Re: Siberian HighDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
`- Re: Siberian HighPrimum Sapienti

1
Siberian High

<42846c5a-e6a4-448c-9f63-d7ffb0c72149n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12049&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12049

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:38:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Siberian High
From: yelwo...@gmail.com (Paul Crowley)
 by: Paul Crowley - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:38 UTC

Checking JTEM's claims for climate at around 43 degrees
latitude (re Nice, France, and Toronto) I noted that for
Vladivostok.

https://weatherspark.com/y/55196/Average-Weather-in-Nice-France-Year-Round
https://weatherspark.com/y/143113/Average-Weather-in-Vladivostok-Russia-Year-Round

It gets bitterly cold there in the winter, in spite of being
on the ocean. And it's much the same, although obviously
getting worse, as you move north along the coast. There
is almost no one there. No cities or towns, and few small
settlements. Life is close to insupportable over the 2,700
miles (straight-line) all the way up to the Bering Strait.
It's no wonder that it took so long for Hs to find and
settle the New World.

All this is a consequence of the 'Siberian High' which
ensures that a vast region of North-eastern Asia remains
cold and dry from August to April.

Fluctuations in the Siberian High are also a major driver
of climate in surrounding regions and further afield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_High

Re: Siberian High

<so35f5$tvf$1@sunce.iskon.hr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12050&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12050

From: mario.pe...@zg.htnet.hr (Mario Petrinovic)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: Siberian High
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:17:09 +0100
 by: Mario Petrinovic - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:17 UTC

On 29.11.2021. 16:38, Paul Crowley wrote:
> Checking JTEM's claims for climate at around 43 degrees
> latitude (re Nice, France, and Toronto) I noted that for
> Vladivostok.
>
> https://weatherspark.com/y/55196/Average-Weather-in-Nice-France-Year-Round
> https://weatherspark.com/y/143113/Average-Weather-in-Vladivostok-Russia-Year-Round
>
> It gets bitterly cold there in the winter, in spite of being
> on the ocean. And it's much the same, although obviously
> getting worse, as you move north along the coast. There
> is almost no one there. No cities or towns, and few small
> settlements. Life is close to insupportable over the 2,700
> miles (straight-line) all the way up to the Bering Strait.
> It's no wonder that it took so long for Hs to find and
> settle the New World.
>
> All this is a consequence of the 'Siberian High' which
> ensures that a vast region of North-eastern Asia remains
> cold and dry from August to April.
>
> Fluctuations in the Siberian High are also a major driver
> of climate in surrounding regions and further afield.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_High

In general, climate on western sides of continents is much warmer than
that on the eastern sides, at the same latitude. Compare the climate in,
lets say, Vancouver, to that on eastern Canadian towns. So, this isn't
(only) a local thing, Newfoundland, which is on the same latitude as
Vancuver, has subarctic and subpolar oceanic climate, while Vancouver
has Mediterranean climate in summer.
Vladivostok is on the same latitude as the town of Roseburg, south
Oregon. I mean, the north of sunny Spain is on the same latitude. We had
Homo antecessor in Iberia 1.2 mya, found in Atapuerca Mountains, north
Spain.

--
https://groups.google.com/g/human-evolution
human-evolution@googlegroups.com

Re: Siberian High

<a02dfd7c-857b-4898-995b-df4b5d61ffdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12051&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12051

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 05:09 UTC

Paul Crowley wrote:

> Checking JTEM's claims for climate at around 43 degrees
> latitude (re Nice, France, and Toronto) I noted that for
> Vladivostok.

What I said, specifically, is that Nice France averages about 20F higher
temperatures in December, than Toronto Canada.

I just Googled it, there was a little variation between sources but, even
the first one I fond placed the difference at 19F, which I'm willing to
settle for if you want to argue competing cites...

NOTE: Other cites made the difference closer to 25F for a December
average...

What did I say? Oh yes; 20F.

You can't accuse me of cherry picking or embellishment.

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/france/nice

December average high: 57F

Now for Toronto:

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/canada/toronto

Average December daily high: 34F

So for this particular website (citation) they're claiming a
23F difference. Pretty freaking large.

> It gets bitterly cold there in the winter in spite of being
> on the ocean. And it's much the same, although obviously
> getting worse, as you move north along the coast. There
> is almost no one there. No cities or towns, and few small
> settlements. Life is close to insupportable over the 2,700
> miles (straight-line) all the way up to the Bering Strait.
> It's no wonder that it took so long for Hs to find and
> settle the New World.

The Pacific is kind of the opposite of the Atlantic. The warmer
waters flow north from the equator, cooling as they go, hugging
the west coast, before turning south where they begin to warm.

Actually that makes both the same, doesn't it? It's moving counter
clockwise...

So the water reaching Vladivostok is coming down from the north,
it's already lost all the energy it's going to, and it's in process of
trying to warm back up... which is why it's so goddamn cold.

Look at Greenland: The western part is the warmer zone, because
the ocean currents, which have maxed out on their heat loss already,
are beating into the east coast...

But you see it now. Right? Change the way the planet distributed the
energy from the sun, you change the climate. The entire Quaternary
Period -- THE PRESENT ICE AGE -- was kicked off by the closing of
the Isthmus of Panama about 3 million years ago. YES as a matter
of fact it did take an extremely long time for this change in energy
distribution to cool the deep ocean waters...

Water is VERY good for storing/releasing energy...

Take a frozen drop of water -- ice -- and add a single calorie of
heat and it will melt. It'll transform from a solid state to a liquid
state. BUT THE TEMPERATURE WILL REMAIN THE SAME! All the
energy was used up changing states.

: A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is a measurement of heat energy. One BTU is the
: amount of heat energy required to raise one pound of water by 1ºF. Water
: weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon so we can calculate that one gallon of water
: requires 8.33 BTU to raise the temperature 1ºF.

https://plumbingperspective.com/key-water-heating-charts

So any pool, lake, stream/river... ocean... if it's not solid ice, it contains 1 BTU
of energy per gallon for every 1F degree above -32F (0C).

This is why if there's a nuclear war (nuclear winter), large meteorite or comet
strike, a Super Volcanic eruption (etc) you want to be near the coast. It will
help to moderate the temperature.

Waterfront properties tend to be cooler in the summer and warmer in the
winter for this very reason.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/669121004370542592

Re: Siberian High

<d316add5-b5ba-44d4-a1dd-043aa34d2679n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12052&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12052

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:07:00 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:07 UTC

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 12:09:50 AM UTC-5, I Envy JTEM wrote:
> [...]
> state. BUT THE TEMPERATURE WILL REMAIN THE SAME! All the
> energy was used up changing states.
>
> : A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is a measurement of heat energy. One BTU is the
> : amount of heat energy required to raise one pound of water by 1ºF. Water
> : weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon so we can calculate that one gallon of water
> : requires 8.33 BTU to raise the temperature 1ºF.
>
> https://plumbingperspective.com/key-water-heating-charts
>
> So any pool, lake, stream/river... ocean... if it's not solid ice, it contains 1 BTU
> of energy per gallon for every 1F degree above -32F (0C).
>
> This is why if there's a nuclear war (nuclear winter), large meteorite or comet
> strike, a Super Volcanic eruption (etc) you want to be near the coast. It will
> help to moderate the temperature.
>
> Waterfront properties tend to be cooler in the summer and warmer in the

The west coast of both Pacific and Atlantic have a north-flowing warm current (Gulf stream, Kuroshio) which ends up moderating the northern coasts. The ice age beringia dam meant Vancouver was even warmer and wetter than today relative to continental climate.

Re: Siberian High

<so70da$uq3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12056&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12056

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 22:15:24 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 05:15 UTC

Paul Crowley wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_High

Interesting, at first though I thought you were posting something about
medicinal
marijuana or something like that ;)