Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:26:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: For Legion's eyes only.
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:26 UTC

Dolan: Compare and contrast time dilation to the longitudinal Relativistic Doppler effect.

ChatGPT: Time dilation and the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect are both phenomena that arise from the theory of relativity, but they are distinct concepts. Here's a comparison and contrast between the two:

Definition:
Time Dilation: Time dilation refers to the difference in the passage of time between two observers moving relative to each other at different velocities. It means that time appears to pass more slowly for a moving observer compared to a stationary observer.

Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect describes the change in frequency or wavelength of light or sound waves due to the relative motion of the source and the observer along the line of sight.

Cause:

Time Dilation: Time dilation is caused by the relative motion between two observers in different inertial frames of reference. According to the theory of relativity, as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object.

Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect arises due to the motion of a source emitting waves and an observer receiving those waves. It occurs when there is relative motion along the line connecting the source and the observer.

Effects on Measurements:

Time Dilation: Time dilation affects the measurement of time intervals. It means that clocks on a moving object or in a different frame of reference will run slower compared to clocks in a stationary frame.

Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal Doppler effect affects the measurement of the frequency or wavelength of waves. It leads to a shift in the frequency or wavelength observed by the stationary observer compared to what the source emits.

Direction of Effect:

Time Dilation: Time dilation affects the passage of time for both moving and stationary observers, but it is more prominent for the moving observer.

Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal Doppler effect depends on the relative motion of the source and the observer along the line of sight. It affects the frequency or wavelength of waves observed by the stationary observer.

In summary, time dilation deals with the difference in the passage of time between observers moving relative to each other, while the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect refers to the change in frequency or wavelength of waves due to relative motion along the line of sight. Both phenomena are consequences of the theory of relativity, but they have distinct causes and effects on measurements.

Re: For Legion's eyes only.

<da418bb0-f5e9-4e39-800a-7859179f533en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=120509&group=sci.physics.relativity#120509

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: For Legion's eyes only.
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 1:26:20 PM UTC-3, patdolan wrote:
> Dolan: Compare and contrast time dilation to the longitudinal Relativistic Doppler effect.
>
> ChatGPT: Time dilation and the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect are both phenomena that arise from the theory of relativity, but they are distinct concepts. Here's a comparison and contrast between the two:
>
> Definition:
> Time Dilation: Time dilation refers to the difference in the passage of time between two observers moving relative to each other at different velocities. It means that time appears to pass more slowly for a moving observer compared to a stationary observer.
>
> Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect describes the change in frequency or wavelength of light or sound waves due to the relative motion of the source and the observer along the line of sight.
>
> Cause:
>
> Time Dilation: Time dilation is caused by the relative motion between two observers in different inertial frames of reference. According to the theory of relativity, as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object.
>
> Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect arises due to the motion of a source emitting waves and an observer receiving those waves. It occurs when there is relative motion along the line connecting the source and the observer.
>
> Effects on Measurements:
>
> Time Dilation: Time dilation affects the measurement of time intervals. It means that clocks on a moving object or in a different frame of reference will run slower compared to clocks in a stationary frame.
>
> Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal Doppler effect affects the measurement of the frequency or wavelength of waves. It leads to a shift in the frequency or wavelength observed by the stationary observer compared to what the source emits.
>
> Direction of Effect:
>
> Time Dilation: Time dilation affects the passage of time for both moving and stationary observers, but it is more prominent for the moving observer.
>
> Longitudinal Relativistic Doppler Effect: The longitudinal Doppler effect depends on the relative motion of the source and the observer along the line of sight. It affects the frequency or wavelength of waves observed by the stationary observer.
>
> In summary, time dilation deals with the difference in the passage of time between observers moving relative to each other, while the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect refers to the change in frequency or wavelength of waves due to relative motion along the line of sight. Both phenomena are consequences of the theory of relativity, but they have distinct causes and effects on measurements.

SAME QUESTION TO GOOGLE BARD AI:

ANSWER:

Sure, here is a comparison of time dilation and the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect:

Time dilation

Cause: Time dilation is caused by the special theory of relativity. It occurs when an object moves at a significant fraction of the speed of light.
Effect: Time dilation causes the passage of time to slow down for the moving object. This means that the moving object will age more slowly than a stationary object.
Formula: The formula for time dilation is:

t' = t / sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)

where t' is the time measured by the moving object, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the speed of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

Longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect

Cause: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect is caused by the special theory of relativity. It occurs when a source of waves (such as light or sound) is moving directly towards or away from an observer.
Effect: The longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect causes the frequency of the waves to be shifted up or down. This means that the waves will appear to be blueshifted (higher frequency) if the source is moving towards the observer, or redshifted (lower frequency) if the source is moving away from the observer.

Formula: The formula for the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect is:

f' = f * sqrt(1 + v^2 / c^2) / sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)

where f' is the frequency measured by the observer, f is the frequency of the waves emitted by the source, v is the speed of the source, and c is the speed of light.

Comparison

Similarities: Both time dilation and the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect are caused by the special theory of relativity. They both involve the slowing down of time or the shifting of frequency.

Differences: Time dilation is a general effect that occurs for all moving objects, while the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect only occurs when a source of waves is moving directly towards or away from an observer. Time dilation is also a much more pronounced effect than the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect.

In summary, time dilation and the longitudinal relativistic Doppler effect are both effects of the special theory of relativity. However, they are different in terms of their cause, their effect, and their magnitude.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.