A pain in the ass of major dimensions. -- C. A. Desoer, on the solution of non-linear circuits

tech / rec.autos.tech / Full synthetic oils

SubjectAuthor
* Full synthetic oilsAK
+* Re: Full synthetic oilsWade Garrett
|`* Re: Full synthetic oilsAK
| `- Re: Full synthetic oilsWade Garrett
+- Re: Full synthetic oilsScott Dorsey
`* Re: Full synthetic oilsPaul in Houston TX
 +* Re: Full synthetic oilsXeno
 |`- Re: Full synthetic oilsPaul in Houston TX
 `- Re: Full synthetic oilsWade Garrett

1
Full synthetic oils

<295d96f3-e351-4c0c-839d-b1c7970d1b2an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=rec.autos.tech#1220

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 14:56:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Full synthetic oils
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 21:56 UTC

I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.

My car has 109K miles.

At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.

How long can I expect that oil to last?

They claim 10K miles.

One person said he changes the filter midway.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdq1qt$39t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=rec.autos.tech#1221

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Full synthetic oils
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:37:00 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:37 UTC

On 7/27/21 5:56 PM, AK wrote:
> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.
>
> My car has 109K miles.
>
> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>
> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>
> They claim 10K miles.
>
> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Open your glove box, remove the owner's manual, open to the chapter
titled Maintenance, flip to the page headed Oil Change Intervals, read
what it says, do it. Problem solved.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Re: Full synthetic oils

<c5cb08b5-4f1d-401b-8ab5-00d27af2a4c8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1222&group=rec.autos.tech#1222

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:10:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 23:10 UTC

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 7/27/21 5:56 PM, AK wrote:
> > I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.
> >
> > My car has 109K miles.
> >
> > At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
> >
> > How long can I expect that oil to last?
> >
> > They claim 10K miles.
> >
> > One person said he changes the filter midway.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy
> >
> Open your glove box, remove the owner's manual, open to the chapter
> titled Maintenance, flip to the page headed Oil Change Intervals, read
> what it says, do it. Problem solved.
>
> --
> Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
> life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
I read the manual. It says use 5w30 oil, but nothing about synthetics.

Problem not solved.

Andy

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdq583$nal$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=rec.autos.tech#1223

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 27 Jul 2021 23:35:31 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 23:35 UTC

AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
>I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.
>
>My car has 109K miles.
>
>At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>
>How long can I expect that oil to last?

That depends on what causes it to fail. Synthetic oils don't break down
anywhere near as easily as conventional oils. Modern viscosity improvers
don't break down as easily either.

But detergents aren't much better than they used to be, and the ability of
oil to carry debris and blow-by is no better than it ever was.

>They claim 10K miles.

If your engine is new and clean and the oil is failing only due to breakdown,
that's likely true. If your engine is dirty and a lot of combustion
byproducts are getting into the oil, it probably isn't.

>One person said he changes the filter midway.

Has he taken the filter apart and looked inside?
--scott

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdqc6q$uab$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=rec.autos.tech#1224

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:34:10 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:34 UTC

AK wrote:
> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.
>
> My car has 109K miles.
>
> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>
> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>
> They claim 10K miles.
>
> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

2006 Kia Spectra, 98k miles. Wal-Mart full syn.
I change my oil about every 8k miles and filters every 4k in January.
I drive at most 4k per year and it does not get cold long enough here to
worry about condensation. All of my cars have gone 225k miles without
any major problems.

Re: Full synthetic oils

<imbv8pFq1gcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=rec.autos.tech#1225

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:55:18 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 02:55 UTC

On 28/7/21 11:34 am, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> AK wrote:
>> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for
>> synthetic oil.
>>
>> My car has 109K miles.
>>
>> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>>
>> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>>
>> They claim 10K miles.
>>
>> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>                  Andy
>
> 2006 Kia Spectra, 98k miles.  Wal-Mart full syn.
> I change my oil about every 8k miles and filters every 4k in January.
> I drive at most 4k per year and it does not get cold long enough here to
> worry about condensation.  All of my cars have gone 225k miles without
> any major problems.

Given your vehicle use, I would make one change to your schedule - I'd
change the oil at the same time as the filter, at least *once* per year
- at a minimum. I do mine twice a year, and the filter at the same time,
regardless. You do such a *low* mileage with, I presume, lots of short
trips, a more frequent oil change definitely won't hurt.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdrjpm$4c2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=rec.autos.tech#1226

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:49:57 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:49 UTC

On 7/27/21 9:34 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> AK wrote:
>> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for
>> synthetic oil.
>>
>> My car has 109K miles.
>>
>> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>>
>> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>>
>> They claim 10K miles.
>>
>> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>                  Andy
>
> 2006 Kia Spectra, 98k miles.  Wal-Mart full syn.
> I change my oil about every 8k miles and filters every 4k in January.
> I drive at most 4k per year and it does not get cold long enough here to
> worry about condensation.  All of my cars have gone 225k miles without
> any major problems.

225k miles
<4k miles per year

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdrkue$j0h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=rec.autos.tech#1227

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:09:32 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:09 UTC

On 7/27/21 7:10 PM, AK wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> On 7/27/21 5:56 PM, AK wrote:
>>> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil.
>>>
>>> My car has 109K miles.
>>>
>>> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>>>
>>> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>>>
>>> They claim 10K miles.
>>>
>>> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy
>>>
>> Open your glove box, remove the owner's manual, open to the chapter
>> titled Maintenance, flip to the page headed Oil Change Intervals, read
>> what it says, do it. Problem solved.
>>
>> --
>> Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
>> life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
> I read the manual. It says use 5w30 oil, but nothing about synthetics.
>
> Problem not solved.
>
> Andy

Actually, it is.

Just change your oil and filter according to what the manufacturer
recommends in the owner's manual rather than getting your panties in a
wad ;-)

--
If you look closely enough, you'll see that the high horse you're riding
on is actually a donkey

Re: Full synthetic oils

<sdtcj1$da0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=rec.autos.tech#1228

From: Pau...@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:59:03 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 04:59 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 28/7/21 11:34 am, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> AK wrote:
>>> I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for
>>> synthetic oil.
>>>
>>> My car has 109K miles.
>>>
>>> At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed.
>>>
>>> How long can I expect that oil to last?
>>>
>>> They claim 10K miles.
>>>
>>> One person said he changes the filter midway.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>                  Andy
>>
>> 2006 Kia Spectra, 98k miles.  Wal-Mart full syn.
>> I change my oil about every 8k miles and filters every 4k in January.
>> I drive at most 4k per year and it does not get cold long enough here
>> to worry about condensation.  All of my cars have gone 225k miles
>> without any major problems.
>
> Given your vehicle use, I would make one change to your schedule - I'd
> change the oil at the same time as the filter, at least *once* per year
> - at a minimum. I do mine twice a year, and the filter at the same time,
> regardless. You do such a *low* mileage with, I presume, lots of short
> trips, a more frequent oil change definitely won't hurt.

That's a good point. I used to change both oil and filter yearly but
stopped changing the oil yearly since the oil was always fairly clean.
But with the wear miles getting up there there will be more combustion
products in the oil now. I travel quite a bit for my employer but
usually rent a car locally or fly somewhere and then rent.