Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:32:30 +0000
Subject: Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors
are unmarried
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.lang.semantics,sci.lang
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:32 UTC

olcott wrote:

> Most people construe the term "absolute truth" as necessarily coming
> from the mind of God, thus atheists reject absolute truth. Philosophy
> leaves religion out of it and says that analytical truth can be verified
> on the basis of its meaning.

> Because Quine had such a hard time understanding that bachelors are
> unmarried in his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" I have adapted the
> definition of analytical truth so that it can be more directly divided
> from other forms of truth:

> (1) Expressions of language that are defined to be true and
> (2) Expressions of language that have been derived on the basis of
> applying truth preserving operations.

yes, WVQ's crusade against Analycity.

comp.theory, comp.ai.philosophy, sci.lang.semantics, sci.lang -- am i posting to 4 ?

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<ut7mri$3o2vk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12281&group=comp.ai.philosophy#12281

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that
bachelors are unmarried
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:20:50 -0500
 by: olcott - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 21:20 UTC

On 3/17/2024 3:32 PM, HenHanna wrote:
> olcott wrote:
>
>> Most people construe the term "absolute truth" as necessarily coming
>> from the mind of God, thus atheists reject absolute truth. Philosophy
>> leaves religion out of it and says that analytical truth can be
>> verified on the basis of its meaning.
>
>> Because Quine had such a hard time understanding that bachelors are
>> unmarried in his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" I have adapted the
>> definition of analytical truth so that it can be more directly divided
>> from other forms of truth:
>
>> (1) Expressions of language that are defined to be true and
>> (2) Expressions of language that have been derived on the basis of
>> applying truth preserving operations.
>

>  yes,   WVQ's  crusade against  Analycity.
>

> comp.theory,   comp.ai.philosophy,   sci.lang.semantics,   sci.lang  --
> am i posting to 4 ?

Yes and I wrote that four years ago