tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

SubjectAuthor
* SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJan Panteltje
+* Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJohn Larkin
|+- Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJan Panteltje
|`- Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketFred Bloggs
`* Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketFred Bloggs
 +* Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJohn Larkin
 |`- Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJohn Larkin
 `* Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJan Panteltje
  `* Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketbitrex
   `- Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocketJan Panteltje

1
SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<u7dp45$1qv6l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123900&group=sci.electronics.design#123900

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38:28 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38 UTC

SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/

Many changes...
More thrust:
"
We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,” Musk said.
"

Interesting I find:
"Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
"

Launch 6 weeks from now?

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<3lrk9i906050tja94edhv15glq7lcslvop@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123901&group=sci.electronics.design#123901

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 22:08:32 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 05:08 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38:28 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/
>
>Many changes...
>More thrust:
>"
>We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
>which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
>while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,� Musk said.
>"
>

>Interesting I find:
>"Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
>Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
>along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
>a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
>"
>
>Launch 6 weeks from now?

Musk seems to do things about 10x as fast as Boeing or NASA.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<u7dtg5$1pino$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123907&group=sci.electronics.design#123907

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 05:53:08 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 05:53 UTC

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Jun 2023 22:08:32 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
<3lrk9i906050tja94edhv15glq7lcslvop@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38:28 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/
>>
>>Many changes...
>>More thrust:
>>"
>>We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
>>which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
>>while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,�? Musk said.
>>"
>>

>>Interesting I find:
>>"Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
>>Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
>>along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby
>>engines,
>>a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
>>"
>>
>>Launch 6 weeks from now?
>
>Musk seems to do things about 10x as fast as Boeing or NASA.

Boeing and NASA are just job creation programs,
ISS just driving around the block without going anywhere.
Columbus had a different mindset
..Fear of finding life on Mars?
I would have expected the pope to see it as an opportunity to convert
them to Christianity?

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<12cae437-1b46-454f-aecb-72c3e4a92dcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123952&group=sci.electronics.design#123952

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:09 UTC

On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 1:08:44 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 04:38:28 GMT, Jan Panteltje <al...@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
> >SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
> > https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/
> >
> >Many changes...
> >More thrust:
> >"
> >We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
> >which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
> >while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,�€? Musk said.
> >"
> >

> >Interesting I find:
> >"Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
> >Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
> >along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
> >a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
> >"
> >
> >Launch 6 weeks from now?
> Musk seems to do things about 10x as fast as Boeing or NASA.

That's the don't care if anything gets done "culture." It's very popular with the useless types.

NASA can push money out the door pretty fast:

"In addition to private investment, SpaceX has won around $4 billion in contracts from NASA to develop Starship into a lander that can put astronauts on the moon. That funding should help keep the project going."

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/05/1174014027/spacex-wants-starship-worlds-biggest-rocket-fly-moon-mars-but-will-investors

Musk is spending more taxpayer money on the project and less on himself.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<0c1f1b58-3e15-490f-93dc-4b1b944e1827n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123953&group=sci.electronics.design#123953

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:17 UTC

On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 12:38:36 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/
>
> Many changes...
> More thrust:
> "
> We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
> which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
> while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,” Musk said.
> "
>

> Interesting I find:
> "Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
> Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
> along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
> a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.

I'm pretty sure they can't build a launch pad from concrete alone. It has to be shielded by way of reflecting concentrated heat away from it. That means quite a bit of additional heat on the engines for the very brief period it takes to get separation in distance.

Idiots at SpaceX knew this before the first failed launch but didn't want to hear anything with word "upgrade" in it.

> "
>
> Launch 6 weeks from now?

He said it will be ready in 6 weeks, which is not the same as launch date. SpaceX and FAA are re-working their environmental impact reports, those take a long time, and they will be thoroughly scrutinized by people with the power to file litigation to halt anything they're not satisfied with.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<4i1m9ihtkp00oep8csq8t83l4h1jenen1o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123959&group=sci.electronics.design#123959

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:55:36 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 15:55 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:17:22 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 12:38:36?AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-changes-to-next-starship-rocket/
>>
>> Many changes...
>> More thrust:
>> "
>> We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant to the way that stage separation works,
>> which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we light the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
>> while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,” Musk said.
>> "
>>

>> Interesting I find:
>> "Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test flight.
>> Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic steering system used on the April 20 launch,
>> along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Raptor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
>> a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
>
>I'm pretty sure they can't build a launch pad from concrete alone. It has to be shielded by way of reflecting concentrated heat away from it. That means quite a bit of additional heat on the engines for the very brief period it takes to get separation in distance.
>
>Idiots at SpaceX knew this before the first failed launch but didn't want to hear anything with word "upgrade" in it.

"Go fast and break things." That gets stuff done.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<u7f13r$1rj9s$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123960&group=sci.electronics.design#123960

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:00:59 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:00 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:17:22 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in
<0c1f1b58-3e15-490f-93dc-4b1b944e1827n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 12:38:36 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote=
>:
>> SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/06/spacex-making-more-than-1000-change=
>s-to-next-starship-rocket/
>>
>> Many changes...
>> More thrust:
>> "
>> We made a sort of a late-breaking change that's really quite significant =
>to the way that stage separation works,
>> which is to use what's called ‘hot staging,’ where we lig=
>ht the engines of the upper stage, or ship,
>> while the first stage, or booster stage, engines are still on,” M=
>usk said.
>> "
>>

>> Interesting I find:
>> "Musk outlined several other upgrades to debut on the next Starship test =
>flight.
>> Those include electric thrust vector controls to replace the hydraulic st=
>eering system used on the April 20 launch,
>> along with stronger shielding around each of the booster’s 33 Rap=
>tor engines to protect them from explosions of nearby engines,
>> a measure intended to reduce the chance of cascading failures.
>
>I'm pretty sure they can't build a launch pad from concrete alone. It has t=
>o be shielded by way of reflecting concentrated heat away from it. That mea=
>ns quite a bit of additional heat on the engines for the very brief period =
>it takes to get separation in distance.

It seems they want to use water spray this time.

>Idiots at SpaceX knew this before the first failed launch but didn't want t=
>o hear anything with word "upgrade" in it.
>
>> "
>>
>> Launch 6 weeks from now?
>
>He said it will be ready in 6 weeks, which is not the same as launch date. =
>SpaceX and FAA are re-working their environmental impact reports, those tak=
>e a long time, and they will be thoroughly scrutinized by people with the p=
>ower to file litigation to halt anything they're not satisfied with.

Some of those environmental nutcases should be arrested

I am glad SpaceX does something, hope it works and makes all that SLS Boeing NASA stuff show for what it is:
a money drain,
taxpayer drain.

Couple of launches and it should work.
Try and correct, that is how we go forward.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<H0ImM.103096$VKY6.69900@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123974&group=sci.electronics.design#123974

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:55:02 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 27 Jun 2023 20:55 UTC

On 6/27/2023 12:00 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:

>> He said it will be ready in 6 weeks, which is not the same as launch date. =
>> SpaceX and FAA are re-working their environmental impact reports, those tak=
>> e a long time, and they will be thoroughly scrutinized by people with the p=
>> ower to file litigation to halt anything they're not satisfied with.
>
> Some of those environmental nutcases should be arrested
>
> I am glad SpaceX does something, hope it works and makes all that SLS Boeing NASA stuff show for what it is:
> a money drain,
> taxpayer drain.
>
> Couple of launches and it should work.
> Try and correct, that is how we go forward.

NASA doesn't squander wing nut taxes the right way; Musk learned to
mouth some platitudes about the "woke agenda" and transgender bathroom
paranoia such that your average wing nut can't help but be enthusiastic
about opening his wallet, for whatever he asks for.

That is to say some dudes are regularly looking for an awesome dude to
worship. but I can't say I'm big into dude-worship, you know?

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<u7gd04$1s8hr$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=123987&group=sci.electronics.design#123987

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 04:29:55 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 04:29 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:55:02 -0400) it happened bitrex
<user@example.net> wrote in <H0ImM.103096$VKY6.69900@fx13.iad>:

>On 6/27/2023 12:00 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>>> He said it will be ready in 6 weeks, which is not the same as launch date. =
>>> SpaceX and FAA are re-working their environmental impact reports, those tak=
>>> e a long time, and they will be thoroughly scrutinized by people with the p=
>>> ower to file litigation to halt anything they're not satisfied with.
>>
>> Some of those environmental nutcases should be arrested
>>
>> I am glad SpaceX does something, hope it works and makes all that SLS Boeing NASA stuff show for what it is:
>> a money drain,
>> taxpayer drain.
>>
>> Couple of launches and it should work.
>> Try and correct, that is how we go forward.
>
>NASA doesn't squander wing nut taxes the right way; Musk learned to
>mouth some platitudes about the "woke agenda" and transgender bathroom
>paranoia such that your average wing nut can't help but be enthusiastic
>about opening his wallet, for whatever he asks for.
>
>That is to say some dudes are regularly looking for an awesome dude to
>worship. but I can't say I'm big into dude-worship, you know?

I am not much of a Musk follower, I think he lost it anyways when he bought twitter.
But he must have some very good engineers working at SpaceX.
The current thing that now had many successful re-uses landings on ships etc
was developed the same way, they where close to bankruptcy when it finally worked.
And Musk seems to be having fun doing / supervising all that stuff.,
He sure made a lot of money, American dream if you will.

Re: SpaceX making more than 1,000 changes to next Starship rocket

<kjho9ip9qmn4oj547f3p6jid0nuto87p8a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124014&group=sci.electronics.design#124014

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:42:01 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 14:42 UTC

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 06:57:08 -0700 (PDT), Anthony William Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 1:55:53?AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:17:22 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >On Tuesday, June 27, 2023 at 12:38:36?AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> >Idiots at SpaceX knew this before the first failed launch but didn't want to hear anything with word "upgrade" in it.
>>
>> "Go fast and break things." That gets stuff done.
>
>Mostly it gets stuff broken. "Think about what you are doing" is a rather better basis for rapid progress.
>
>Some managers don't know much and get impatient, which can get lots of stuff broken.

How is your Baxandall ocillator coming along?