From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: VGA cable
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:34:34 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:34 UTC

I needed a couple of slightly longer cables and settled on these:

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/200775965343>

Not keen on the jack screws -- but, I think they all suck (the
fastening mechanism is outdated and monitor manfacturers
invariably locate DVI and "VGA" connectors adjacent to each
other which makes BOTH impossible to secure!)

Cable jacket is a funky sort of mesh. In my deployments,
it "makes noise" as it rubs against the pivoting display
mount but tolerable.

We'll see how well it holds up to the test of time
(if it's truly a covering for the cable, then I expect
the ends will eventually escape the molded connector
shells and start to fray)

Re: VGA cable

<a69f95f8-ca03-4f82-984d-a897ec193b80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124777&group=sci.electronics.design#124777

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 02:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: VGA cable
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:01 UTC

On Monday, July 10, 2023 at 6:34:44 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> I needed a couple of slightly longer cables and settled on these:
>
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/200775965343>
>
> Not keen on the jack screws -- but, I think they all suck (the
> fastening mechanism is outdated and monitor manufacturers
> invariably locate DVI and "VGA" connectors adjacent to each
> other which makes BOTH impossible to secure!)
>
> Cable jacket is a funky sort of mesh. In my deployments,
> it "makes noise" as it rubs against the pivoting display
> mount but tolerable.
>
> We'll see how well it holds up to the test of time
> (if it's truly a covering for the cable, then I expect
> the ends will eventually escape the molded connector
> shells and start to fray)

Thee D-Sub (D-subminiature) connector has been in use since 1952, when they were for industrial and military use. The screws were required due to vibration tat could cause the plug to fall out of the panel mounted connectors.

Re: VGA cable

<u8j71s$2sgk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124779&group=sci.electronics.design#124779

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 02:23:04 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:23 UTC

On 7/11/2023 2:01 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
> On Monday, July 10, 2023 at 6:34:44 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
>> I needed a couple of slightly longer cables and settled on these:
>>
>> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/200775965343>
>>
>> Not keen on the jack screws -- but, I think they all suck (the fastening
>> mechanism is outdated and monitor manufacturers invariably locate DVI and
>> "VGA" connectors adjacent to each other which makes BOTH impossible to
>> secure!)
>>
>> Cable jacket is a funky sort of mesh. In my deployments, it "makes noise"
>> as it rubs against the pivoting display mount but tolerable.
>>
>> We'll see how well it holds up to the test of time (if it's truly a
>> covering for the cable, then I expect the ends will eventually escape the
>> molded connector shells and start to fray)
>
> Thee D-Sub (D-subminiature) connector has been in use since 1952, when they
> were for industrial and military use. The screws were required due to
> vibration tat could cause the plug to fall out of the panel mounted
> connectors.

There have been "securing options" that didn't rely on screws.
E.g., I used "latches" (a special shell along with a replacement
for the panel-mounted nut) in several projects in the 80's;
squeeze sides of connector shell, latches release, remove connector.
(similar to how MD50 connectors work)

The modern problem comes from the use of the connectors for VGA
alongside DVI, DP, HDMI, composite video, S-video, etc. connectors
on monitors. The VGA and DVI are invariably placed immediately
adjacent to each other so the jackscrews on each that lie between
the connectors are essentially inaccessible.

[Those that also have a slotted end can often be *gently* tightened
with a screwdriver axial to the screw "head". Those that don't have
such a provision are more difficult to manipulate.]

A smarter layout would put other connectors adjacent to each such
connector (DVI/VGA); connections that could, worst case, be opened
temporarily to access the jackscrews -- and then remated.