Delta: The kids will love our inflatable slides. -- David Letterman

tech / sci.electronics.design / How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

SubjectAuthor
* How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub TragedyFred Bloggs
`* Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub TragedyFred Bloggs
 `* Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub TragedyFred Bloggs
  `* Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub TragedyFred Bloggs
   `- Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub TragedyFred Bloggs

1
How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

<29e37d4f-bdac-40c9-919f-125bafe4cd0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124826&group=sci.electronics.design#124826

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 05:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:56 UTC

May be a bit of stretch to say the SLAPP did it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-bogus-lawsuit-led-to-the-titan-sub-tragedy

More detailed rundown on the state of anti-SLAPP legislation in U.S.

https://www.rcfp.org/introduction-anti-slapp-guide/

Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

<8320feb6-ae47-44b4-bd1b-f7400defdaf7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124871&group=sci.electronics.design#124871

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:38 UTC

On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 2:40:47 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 10:56:44 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > May be a bit of stretch to say the SLAPP did it.
> >
> > https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-bogus-lawsuit-led-to-the-titan-sub-tragedy
> >
> > More detailed rundown on the state of anti-SLAPP legislation in U.S.
> >
> > https://www.rcfp.org/introduction-anti-slapp-guide/
> It is definitely quite a bit of a stretch. It's Stockton Rush's character defects that are more directly responsible.
>
> A Slapp lawsuit was one of the devices he used to divert tolerably well-informed criticism, but not the only one.
>
> And the Titan sub made quite a few deep dives before it imploded. Nobody has yet identified exactly what initiated the implosion, or whether a better hull might have survived whatever it was.

A quality testing trade journal published an article about the damnfoolhardiness of not subjecting the hull to periodic NDT ( non-destructive testing ) to assess how well it was holding up. They mentioned that even to this day Boeing has a regular schedule of NDT on its composite wings in service.
The idea the testing wasn't performed is unfathomable to the practitioners of it.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

<c0df22be-b6ee-4aa7-a7b1-4cc9ec918f91n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124875&group=sci.electronics.design#124875

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 07:51:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:51 UTC

On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 10:31:50 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 11:38:59 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > It is definitely quite a bit of a stretch. It's Stockton Rush's character defects that are more directly responsible.
> > >
> > > A Slapp lawsuit was one of the devices he used to divert tolerably well-informed criticism, but not the only one.
> > >
> > > And the Titan sub made quite a few deep dives before it imploded. Nobody has yet identified exactly what initiated the implosion, or whether a better hull might have survived whatever it was.
> >
> > A quality testing trade journal published an article about the damnfoolhardiness of not subjecting the hull to periodic NDT ( non-destructive testing ) to assess how well it was holding up. They mentioned that even to this day Boeing has a regular schedule of NDT on its composite wings in service.
> > The idea the testing wasn't performed is unfathomable to the practitioners of it.
> One of my friends from my phased array medical ultrasound days moved into using ultrasound for crack detection in aircraft wings.
>
> I imagine that it would pick up delamination in composite structures. I could ask him in ten days - he's about to visit Australia.
>
> People who sell expensive non-destructive testing machines are very fond of the idea that everybody should be using them all the time. A testing trade journal would be sympathetic to that idea. The company that my friend worked for finally went bust a few years ago - maybe real world customers were less sympathetic.

Apparently everybody knew about the technology except Rush.

The aircraft industry takes it very seriously. It's an area of very active research, and becoming very sophisticated. The price paid for using the new sophisticated materials.

https://www.ndt.net/article/cdcm2006/papers/schnars.pdf

Abstract:
Through capturing spectral data from a wide frequency range along with the spatial information, hyperspectral imaging (HSI) can detect minor differences in terms of temperature, moisture, and chemical composition. Therefore, HSI has been successfully applied in various applications, including remote sensing for security and defense, precision agriculture for vegetation and crop monitoring, food/drink, and pharmaceuticals quality control. However, for condition monitoring and damage detection in carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP), the use of HSI is a relatively untouched area, as existing non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques focus mainly on delivering information about physical integrity of structures but not on material composition. To this end, HSI can provide a unique way to tackle this challenge. In this article, with the use of a near-infrared (NIR) HSI camera, applications of HSI for the non-destructive inspection of CFRP products are introduced, taking the European Union (EU) H2020 FibreEUse project as the background. Technical challenges and solutions on three case studies are presented in detail, including adhesive residues detection, surface damage detection, and cobot-based automated inspection. Experimental results have fully demonstrated the great potential of HSI and related vision techniques for NDT of CFRP, especially the potential to satisfy the industrial manufacturing environment.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9726887

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

<04b319c3-009f-49fc-b99f-3116b5b58693n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124891&group=sci.electronics.design#124891

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:16 UTC

On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 11:51:59 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 12:51:43 AM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > One of my friends from my phased array medical ultrasound days moved into using ultrasound for crack detection in aircraft wings.
> > >
> > > I imagine that it would pick up delamination in composite structures. I could ask him in ten days - he's about to visit Australia.
> > >
> > > People who sell expensive non-destructive testing machines are very fond of the idea that everybody should be using them all the time. A testing trade journal would be sympathetic to that idea. The company that my friend worked for finally went bust a few years ago - maybe real world customers were less sympathetic.
> >
> > Apparently everybody knew about the technology except Rush.
> What makes you think that? My acquaintance who used to put together the Dreamliner's composite empenage in Australia never mentioned an ultrasonic delamination detection stage in the production process.

QC and Preventive Maintenance design is not the purview of production.

> > The aircraft industry takes it very seriously. It's an area of very active research, and becoming very sophisticated. The price paid for using the new sophisticated materials.
> >
> > https://www.ndt.net/article/cdcm2006/papers/schnars.pdf
> >
> > Abstract:
> > Through capturing spectral data from a wide frequency range along with the spatial information, hyperspectral imaging (HSI) can detect minor differences in terms of temperature, moisture, and chemical composition. Therefore, HSI has been successfully applied in various applications, including remote sensing for security and defense, precision agriculture for vegetation and crop monitoring, food/drink, and pharmaceuticals quality control. However, for condition monitoring and damage detection in carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP), the use of HSI is a relatively untouched area, as existing non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques focus mainly on delivering information about physical integrity of structures but not on material composition. To this end, HSI can provide a unique way to tackle this challenge. In this article, with the use of a near-infrared (NIR) HSI camera, applications of HSI for the non-destructive inspection of CFRP products are introduced, taking the European Union (EU) H2020 FibreEUse project as the background.. Technical challenges and solutions on three case studies are presented in detail, including adhesive residues detection, surface damage detection, and cobot-based automated inspection. Experimental results have fully demonstrated the great potential of HSI and related vision techniques for NDT of CFRP, especially the potential to satisfy the industrial manufacturing environment.
> >
> > https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9726887
> It's a review of what can be done. It certainly doesn't say that everybody does it, though they probably should. How often is one of those economic questions.

Reading comprehension problems again. It is application of existing technique in wide use in other applications to CFRP.

> The main charm of composites is that they are lighter than more conventional materials. If they have to be tested much more frequently than more conventional materials with expensive test gear they will become rather less attractive.

The main advantage is a figure of merit termed specific strength- which is strength per unit mass oddly enough. It's not just about being lightweight.

Aircraft wings and other critical components are periodically tested in this way regardless of the material, and have been for nearly 50 years.

Part of Rush's 'frontier' should have included validating the materials design of his submersible. He missed that part.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: How a Bogus Lawsuit Led to the Titan Sub Tragedy

<24bf227d-66a3-497c-817c-afa4627e8fd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124897&group=sci.electronics.design#124897

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 18:05 UTC

On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 1:36:18 PM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 3:16:25 AM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > What makes you think that? My acquaintance who used to put together the Dreamliner's composite empenage in Australia never mentioned an ultrasonic delamination detection stage in the production process.
> >
> > QC and Preventive Maintenance design is not the purview of production.
> Quality control is very much part of production. If delamination in service is a problem, not getting properly bonded laminations in the first case is a whole lot more of a problem.

> > > It's a review of what can be done. It certainly doesn't say that everybody does it, though they probably should. How often is one of those economic questions.
> >
> > Reading comprehension problems again.
> Yours, not mine.
> > It is application of existing technique in wide use in other applications to CFRP.
> > >
> > > The main charm of composites is that they are lighter than more conventional materials. If they have to be tested much more frequently than more conventional materials with expensive test gear they will become rather less attractive.
> >
> > The main advantage is a figure of merit termed specific strength- which is strength per unit mass oddly enough. It's not just about being lightweight.
> The strength required is a given. Reducing the mass of the structure that provides it is where you get your advantage.

I don't think it's that simple. There are things the designers would like to do but can't due to material strength and weight limitations. Using materials with high specific strength like CFRP opens up new opportunities to push the envelope. The design is an iterative process.

> > Aircraft wings and other critical components are periodically tested in this way regardless of the material, and have been for nearly 50 years.
> In what way?

The industry has been testing wings since the 70s that I know of. The big aircraft in particular are prone to developing problems like cracks in the wings. They don't wait until things become eyeball visible. And they've been forever using NDT to test anything considered a weld, in any part of the aircraft, especially jet engine parts.

> > Part of Rush's 'frontier' should have included validating the materials design of his submersible. He missed that part.
> His submersible lasted four years. The materials design was validated in practice. You want to think that it was slowly degrading, but until we know what precipitated the implosion you are just guessing.

That's very narrow thinking. A handful of dives doesn't validate anything. They need to take the whole shebang of the environment affecting the material integrity, including getting banged around at sea and struck by lightning, and maybe even chemical contaminant exposure.