"It runs like _x, where _x is something unsavory" -- Prof. Romas Aleliunas, CS 435

tech / sci.electronics.design / Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

SubjectAuthor
* Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossJan Panteltje
`* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossMichael Terrell
 `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossJan Panteltje
  `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossMichael Terrell
   `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossJan Panteltje
    `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossMichael Terrell
     `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossJan Panteltje
      `* Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossMichael Terrell
       `- Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total lossJan Panteltje

1
Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<u8t8nn$2gkfv$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=124985&group=sci.electronics.design#124985

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:53:10 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:53 UTC

Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss
https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/07/viasats-new-broadband-satellite-could-be-a-total-loss/
The mission now in peril is thought to be valued at roughly $700 million.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<84334418-26af-465d-89d4-0b304ab79f3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125099&group=sci.electronics.design#125099

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:50 UTC

On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 12:53:20 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss
> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/07/viasats-new-broadband-satellite-could-be-a-total-loss/
> The mission now in peril is thought to be valued at roughly $700 million.

Satellite Broadband is movingg to higher frequencies. Hugesnet is using 55GHZ. which has horrible rain fade. Even heavy fog can disrupt your servie. I have had very little connectivity fot the past two days. One outage was about 16 hours.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<u92hog$2j4i9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125125&group=sci.electronics.design#125125

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:57:52 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:57 UTC

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:50:53 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael
Terrell <terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote in
<84334418-26af-465d-89d4-0b304ab79f3dn@googlegroups.com>:

>On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 12:53:20 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrot=
>e:
>> Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss
>> https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/07/viasats-new-broadband-satellite-cou=
>ld-be-a-total-loss/
>> The mission now in peril is thought to be valued at roughly $700 million.
>
>Satellite Broadband is movingg to higher frequencies. Hugesnet is using 55GHZ.
which has horrible rain fade. Even heavy fog can disrupt your servie. =
>I have had very little connectivity fot the past two days. One outage was a=
>bout 16 hours.

Yes, satellite reception is intermittent at times.
I lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday while watching some good music show.
Big thundercloud, flashes every few seconds, drifted over from south to west, passing between
Astra geostationary satellite and my antenna.
Does not happen with just rain though, very rare
TV and radio broadcast is in the 10.7 GHz to 12.7 GHz band, some internet too.
No experience with 55 GHz here.

I do think geostatic sats are a good thing, those thousands of SpaceX sats have shorter delays
with 2 way communication but may increase space-junk and cause space collisions.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<b121a1ba-83ac-4b97-afb4-97d1a7b579aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125131&group=sci.electronics.design#125131

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 03:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:22 UTC

On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 12:58:01 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> Yes, satellite reception is intermittent at times.
> I lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday while watching some good music show.
> Big thundercloud, flashes every few seconds, drifted over from south to west, passing between
> Astra geostationary satellite and my antenna.
> Does not happen with just rain though, very rare
> TV and radio broadcast is in the 10.7 GHz to 12.7 GHz band, some internet too.
> No experience with 55 GHz here.
>
> I do think geostatic sats are a good thing, those thousands of SpaceX sats have shorter delays
> with 2 way communication but may increase space-junk and cause space collisions.

The new 5GHz birds are in high orbit, so the propagation is poor. There are many websites that I can't access because they time out. It can hit 1250ms..They are building a new fiber optic service in my area. The fiber is up, but they are just starting installs in my subdivision.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<u93938$2m2vn$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125133&group=sci.electronics.design#125133

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:36:08 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:36 UTC

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jul 2023 03:22:55 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael
Terrell <terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote in
<b121a1ba-83ac-4b97-afb4-97d1a7b579aan@googlegroups.com>:

>On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 12:58:01 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>

>> Yes, satellite reception is intermittent at times.
>> I lost signal for a couple of minutes yesterday while watching some good =
>music show.
>> Big thundercloud, flashes every few seconds, drifted over from south to w=
>est, passing between
>> Astra geostationary satellite and my antenna.
>> Does not happen with just rain though, very rare
>> TV and radio broadcast is in the 10.7 GHz to 12.7 GHz band, some internet=
> too.
>> No experience with 55 GHz here.
>>
>> I do think geostatic sats are a good thing, those thousands of SpaceX sat=
>s have shorter delays
>> with 2 way communication but may increase space-junk and cause space coll=
>isions.
>
>The new 5GHz birds are in high orbit, so the propagation is poor. There are=
> many websites that I can't access because they time out. It can hit 1250ms=
>.They are building a new fiber optic service in my area. The fiber is up, b=
>ut they are just starting installs in my subdivision.

I don't know the situation where you are, but here I use a Huawei 4G USB stick for internet.
It gives me internet everywhere in this country and most parts of Europe I'd think.
33 Euro (is about 33 USD) per month.
On the road I stick it in the laptop, at home in my Raspberry Pi 4.
Global TV is via a steerable satellite dish and local TV via terrestrial DVB-T2 with a small antenna,
both use a cheap ebay 30 $ or so box that records to a small USB stick.
I think I have close to a few hundred free to air TV channels that way.
I also have equipment for QO100 ham radio satellite but am not active at the moment as over here the dish
is mounted high on the wall and am not in the mood to climb ladders and experiment with 2.4 GHz dishes for ham TV upload...
https://amsat-uk.org/satellites/geo/eshail-2/
reception worked OK though last time I tried, just move the dish to it.
As to free to air programs:
https://en.kingofsat.tv/
pick a satellite location you can target from your location from the icons at the top of the screen,
or use the angle in the URL:
https://en.kingofsat.tv/pos-28.2E.php

I get many leaflets from the fiber company here that I can get fiber for 45 Euro a month or so,
they are installing it in the streets near me and give me a free install if I subscribe now,
hundreds of Euros if I do so later, usual Mafia crap.
sure its faster, but does not even work on the road :-)
And they do not have a fraction of the TV and radio stations I can get via satellite
and their service will fail when you have a power outage.
My experience with cable TV is double negative, the one in Amsterdam switched off the US programs when
they went to bed late at night and the last one, Ziggo, merged with Vodaphone and gave all sorts
of problems since then.
All they are / use is just satellite receivers anyways, expensive modem you have to pay for, not even programmable
from my computahs, had to build an IR thing for that.
Cable modem got so hot you could almost bake eggs on it.... Energy costs.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<4083ea53-51ae-4134-baee-87ebf0935026n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125216&group=sci.electronics.design#125216

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:27 UTC

On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 7:36:16 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> [...]
> they are installing it in the streets near me and give me a free install if I subscribe now,
> hundreds of Euros if I do so later, usual Mafia crap.
> sure its faster, but does not even work on the road :-)
> And they do not have a fraction of the TV and radio stations I can get via satellite
> and their service will fail when you have a power outage.
> My experience with cable TV is double negative, the one in Amsterdam switched off the US programs when
> they went to bed late at night and the last one, Ziggo, merged with Vodaphone and gave all sorts
> of problems since then.
> All they are / use is just satellite receivers anyways, expensive modem you have to pay for, not even programmable
> from my computahs, had to build an IR thing for that.
> Cable modem got so hot you could almost bake eggs on it.... Energy costs.

I would need at least a 50 foot tower to get OTA TV, because of the hills between me and the stations.

I can get free 30 Mb/s fiber, and there is more free streaming TV than I could watch, in a lifetime.After /I ended up disabled, I only leave the house to see doctors or to get some groceries. Many businesses have free Wi Fi.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<u962pk$11el$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125218&group=sci.electronics.design#125218

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:06:59 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:06 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:27:46 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael
> [...]

>> My experience with cable TV is double negative, the one in Amsterdam swit=
>ched off the US programs when
>> they went to bed late at night and the last one, Ziggo, merged with Vodap=
>hone and gave all sorts
>> of problems since then.
>> All they are / use is just satellite receivers anyways, expensive modem y=
>ou have to pay for, not even programmable
>> from my computahs, had to build an IR thing for that.
>> Cable modem got so hot you could almost bake eggs on it.... Energy costs.
>
>I would need at least a 50 foot tower to get OTA TV, because of the hills b=
>etween me and the stations.
>
>I can get free 30 Mb/s fiber, and there is more free streaming TV than I co=
>uld watch, in a lifetime.After /I ended up disabled, I only leave the house=
> to see doctors or to get some groceries. Many businesses have free Wi Fi.

Yes then fiber makes a lot of sense, no hills here so that problem I do not have.
If the bombs fall I also have shortwave radio.. to hear where there are any lifeforms left :-)

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<006f0dfb-a794-43b3-9c17-9c53b740eb00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125248&group=sci.electronics.design#125248

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:01 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:07:07 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:27:46 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael
> Terrell wrote:
> >
> >I would need at least a 50 foot tower to get OTA TV, because of the hills
> >between me and the stations.
> >
> >I can get free 30 Mb/s fiber, and there is more free streaming TV than I
> >could watch, in a lifetime.After I ended up disabled, I only leave the house
> > to see doctors or to get some groceries. Many businesses have free Wi Fi.
>
> Yes then fiber makes a lot of sense, no hills here so that problem I do not have.
> If the bombs fall I also have shortwave radio.. to hear where there are any lifeforms left :-)

I have a Radio Shack DX375 HF receiver, and a dual band FM handheld for the 144 and 432 MHz bands. Th HF receiver runs on a couple C cells, and last weeks of constant use. It is digitally tuned, plus it cam receive commercial AM and FM broadcasts. It was quiet enough around here after a hurricane to hear stations from Europe. Then the power came back a few days later which wiped out the HF bands with electrical noise.

Re: Viasat's new broadband satellite could be a total loss

<u97sos$1sjk$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125299&group=sci.electronics.design#125299

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 05:36:28 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 05:36 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:01:34 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael
Terrell <terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote in
<006f0dfb-a794-43b3-9c17-9c53b740eb00n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:07:07 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 05:27:46 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michae=
>> Terrell wrote:
>> >
>> >I would need at least a 50 foot tower to get OTA TV, because of the hill=
>> >between me and the stations.
>> >
>> >I can get free 30 Mb/s fiber, and there is more free streaming TV than I
>> >could watch, in a lifetime.After I ended up disabled, I only leave the h=
>ouse
>> > to see doctors or to get some groceries. Many businesses have free Wi F=
>i.
>>
>> Yes then fiber makes a lot of sense, no hills here so that problem I do n=
>ot have.
>> If the bombs fall I also have shortwave radio.. to hear where there are a=
>ny lifeforms left :-)
>
>I have a Radio Shack DX375 HF receiver, and a dual band FM handheld for the=
> 144 and 432 MHz bands. Th HF receiver runs on a couple C cells, and last w=
>eeks of constant use. It is digitally tuned, plus it cam receive commercial=
> AM and FM broadcasts. It was quiet enough around here after a hurricane to=
> hear stations from Europe. Then the power came back a few days later which=
> wiped out the HF bands with electrical noise.

My battery powered shortwave receiver is a Tecsun PL600, AM, FM, SSB all bands
even longwave.
https://www.tecsun-radios.com/product/tecsun-pl600-ssb-radio/
has some Eneloop AA batteries in it so always standby.

For the big shortwave stuff I still have a Ranger RCI_2970
http://www.bellscb.com/products/tenmeter/ranger/RCI_2970_DX.htm
50 W , 150 W pep SSB
Have used it for a while.
Have some antenna tuner too.

Then the Baofeng UV-5R portable for 2 meter and 70 cm
https://baofengtech.com/product/uv-5r/

And of course several RTL-SDR USB stick receivers, 20 MHz to about 1.6 GHz
any modulation you want, including TV..
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313&_nkw=RTL-SDR+usb+receiver&_sacat=4673

Spectrum analyzer I wrote uses it:
https://panteltje.nl/pub/xpsa-0.7.gif

Used in many projects, here receives air traffic and shipping traffic
https://panteltje.nl/pub/boats_and_planes.gif

So I think I am OK for a while with radio and TV...

Yes those wallwarts make a lot of RF noise... and go to ever higher frequencies it seems.
There are methods to cancel most of that,
one is to subtract the indoor RF noise from the outdoor antenna signal.
google: "subtract indoor RF interference from antenna signal"
Have not tried it yet...