"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

SubjectAuthor
* Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
+* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeJohn Larkin
| `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
|  +- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
|  `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
|   `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
|    `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
|     `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
|      +* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
|      |`- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
|      `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
|       `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
+* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
|`- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europeupsidedown
 +* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeMike Monett VE3BTI
 |`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
 | `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |  `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
 |   `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |    `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
 +* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europeupsidedown
 | `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |  `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
 |   +* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |   |+* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   ||+- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   ||+- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europewhit3rd
 |   ||`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |   || `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   ||  `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   |+- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.
 |   |`* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europeupsidedown
 |   | `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeFred Bloggs
 |   |  `* Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   |   `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europea a
 |   `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europewhit3rd
 +- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europeupsidedown
 `- Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for EuropeCarlos E.R.

Pages:12
Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<6389538e-7f6f-496b-a5bb-a4d607805d23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125048&group=sci.electronics.design#125048

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 06:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:06 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 8:17:33 AM UTC-4, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-07-16 00:24, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 4:09:05 PM UTC-4, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
> >> On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 08:26:20 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> >> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> A nice trick for a single floor building is to install fixed blinds
> >> 2-3 meters outside from the building. The blinds do not start from the
> >> ground but just over 2 m from ground, extending to 4 or 5 meters above
> >> ground. When the sun is high up, it is blocked by the blinds but you
> >> have an undisturbed horizontal view through the window. On the
> >> outside, you can also walk under the blinds (which starts above 2 m).
> >
> > You shouldn't have a problem with sun during summer. It is in effect directly overhead for the hottest part of the day, so it doesn't come thru the window.
> It certainly does. It burns here from 11 (9 UTC) to 17 (15 UTC), at least..

Are you saying the sun directly shines into the windows at that hour? Your windows must be on a slant, or you're confusing it with an ultrabright background full of reflection.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-efficient-window-coverings

The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..

None of the sun blocking performance is to be confused with the basic thermal conductivity/ resistivity of the window. That has to do with heat leakage by conduction and is an entirely different matter.

The modern variable speed a/c technology should be controlled in such a way that it only runs high speed continuously when the measured temperature exceeds the setpoint by about 3oF, otherwise if runs at less capacity. An extended high capacity run means it's either trying to catch up with an extended setback, or the capacity can't keep up with the heat gain from the record outside temperatures.

> --
> Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<79f8bi13sjre5qrsnus7a8luj8tl6s287c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125063&group=sci.electronics.design#125063

From: upsided...@downunder.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:10:17 +0300
 by: upsided...@downunder.com - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 19:10 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 12:08:58 +0300, upsidedown@downunder.com wrote:

>In countries with a hot climate the building code should require well
>insulated walls, double/triple glazed windows and good doors, which
>significantly reduce air condition needs and hence noise.

Alternatively, why not make air conditioned beds (bed+tent+A/C)thus no
need to cool the whole apartment. It would also be easier to get some
relief to old buildings without A/C. Make the tent walls thick to
reduce heat transfer, inhibit any light entry and attenuate street
noise.

With such beds, one could have a nap during siesta or work night shift
and and sleep during the day.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<00c7276c-2166-4730-a041-2fe697fe0785n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125065&group=sci.electronics.design#125065

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 12:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 19:38 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 5:17:33 AM UTC-7, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-07-16 00:24, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 4:09:05 PM UTC-4, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
> >> On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 08:26:20 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> >> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> A nice trick for a single floor building is to install fixed blinds
> >> 2-3 meters outside from the building. The blinds do not start from the
> >> ground but just over 2 m from ground, extending to 4 or 5 meters above
> >> ground. When the sun is high up, it is blocked by the blinds but you
> >> have an undisturbed horizontal view through the window. On the
> >> outside, you can also walk under the blinds (which starts above 2 m).
> >
> > You shouldn't have a problem with sun during summer. It is in effect directly overhead for the hottest part of the day, so it doesn't come thru the window.
> It certainly does. It burns here from 11 (9 UTC) to 17 (15 UTC), at least..

The right blinds would stop that; the other trick, is broad eaves over the windows,
so in winter (sun low in the sky) you get direct sunlight through windows, but in summer
(sun high in the sky) they're in shade most of the day. It earns you about 5 degrees F
both for heating and cooling.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<0324fd5a-b8dc-48dc-a15c-fa8933d98aefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125068&group=sci.electronics.design#125068

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:05 UTC

On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 15:06:39 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 8:17:33 AM UTC-4, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> > > You shouldn't have a problem with sun during summer. It is in effect directly overhead for the hottest part of the day, so it doesn't come thru the window.
> > It certainly does. It burns here from 11 (9 UTC) to 17 (15 UTC), at least.
> Are you saying the sun directly shines into the windows at that hour? Your windows must be on a slant, or you're confusing it with an ultrabright background full of reflection.
>
> https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-efficient-window-coverings
>
> The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..
>
> None of the sun blocking performance is to be confused with the basic thermal conductivity/ resistivity of the window. That has to do with heat leakage by conduction and is an entirely different matter.
>
> The modern variable speed a/c technology should be controlled in such a way that it only runs high speed continuously when the measured temperature exceeds the setpoint by about 3oF, otherwise if runs at less capacity. An extended high capacity run means it's either trying to catch up with an extended setback, or the capacity can't keep up with the heat gain from the record outside temperatures.

"The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them

you are completely wrong as always

what is offered is so-called venetian mirror installed as window glass

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<MtYsM.760173$NrRf.78756@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125075&group=sci.electronics.design#125075

From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:32:44 GMT
 by: a a - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:32 UTC

Darius the Dumb has posted yet one more #veryStupidByLowIQaa article.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<5o0eojx5m1.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125078&group=sci.electronics.design#125078

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:32:37 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:32 UTC

On 2023-07-15 11:08, upsidedown@downunder.com wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:06:42 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Satellite measurement of ground temperature in parts of Spain are at 60oC.
>
> That is sunlit ground temperatures, not official temperature
> measurements in the shadow.
>
>> That is a big YIKES.
>
> 60 C is just a cold sauna :-). Not really a problem as long as the air
> is dry (wet bulb temperature below 30 C) and you have enough to drink.
>
> One summer in the 1980's I worked in Saudi-Arabia with day
> temperatures above 45 C, you just had to stay indoors during the day.
> In the morning from the air conditioned apartment with an air
> conditioned car to the air conditioned office and back in the
> afternoon.
>
> The main problem was the flimsy walls, doors and windows that leaked
> heat inside and the air condition had to run all the time at full
> power. That 24/7 air condition noise for weeks is quite annoying and
> the only way to get a quiet time was to take a walk inn the desert
> before sunrise, in which the air temperature was 25 C.

That's interesting, because the ancient architecture in that country
shows that they knew how to cool down their houses passively.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<eh0eojx5m1.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125079&group=sci.electronics.design#125079

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:29:02 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:29 UTC

On 2023-07-16 15:06, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 8:17:33 AM UTC-4, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> You shouldn't have a problem with sun during summer. It is in effect directly overhead for the hottest part of the day, so it doesn't come thru the window.
>> It certainly does. It burns here from 11 (9 UTC) to 17 (15 UTC), at least.
>
> Are you saying the sun directly shines into the windows at that hour? Your windows must be on a slant, or you're confusing it with an ultrabright background full of reflection.

You have not considered the latitude and the orientation of the windows.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<a236f360-f4c4-4fc0-a9c7-2ba0153f2784n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125122&group=sci.electronics.design#125122

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 19:42:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 02:42 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 1:05:49 PM UTC-7, a a wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 15:06:39 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > None of the sun blocking performance is to be confused with the basic thermal conductivity/ resistivity of the window. That has to do with heat leakage by conduction and is an entirely different matter.
> >
> > The modern variable speed a/c technology should be controlled in such a way that it only runs high speed continuously when the measured temperature exceeds the setpoint by about 3oF, otherwise if runs at less capacity. An extended high capacity run means it's either trying to catch up with an extended setback, or the capacity can't keep up with the heat gain from the record outside temperatures.
> >

> "The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them

> you are completely wrong as always
>

> what is offered is so-called venetian mirror installed as window glass

Maybe that's offered, too.
This outfit uses a metallic-appearing film for solar management
<https://www.saflex.com/products/saflex-solar-pvb-interlayer>

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<pl4abid9ld7kcndn8tgrmr7jlgmrkiajih@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125129&group=sci.electronics.design#125129

From: upsided...@downunder.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:08:31 +0300
 by: upsided...@downunder.com - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:08 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jul 2023 06:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..

They also block UHF/microwave signals and it can be hard to use
cellular phones indoors.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<60491980-26a1-421e-83e3-088be313a36bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125142&group=sci.electronics.design#125142

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 07:52:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:52 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:05:49 PM UTC-4, a a wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 15:06:39 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > It certainly does. It burns here from 11 (9 UTC) to 17 (15 UTC), at least.
> > Are you saying the sun directly shines into the windows at that hour? Your windows must be on a slant, or you're confusing it with an ultrabright background full of reflection.
> >
> > https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-efficient-window-coverings
> >
> > The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..
> >
> > None of the sun blocking performance is to be confused with the basic thermal conductivity/ resistivity of the window. That has to do with heat leakage by conduction and is an entirely different matter.
> >
> > The modern variable speed a/c technology should be controlled in such a way that it only runs high speed continuously when the measured temperature exceeds the setpoint by about 3oF, otherwise if runs at less capacity. An extended high capacity run means it's either trying to catch up with an extended setback, or the capacity can't keep up with the heat gain from the record outside temperatures.
> >

> "The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them
> you are completely wrong as always
>

> what is offered is so-called venetian mirror installed as window glass

LOL- there's an industry pushing trillion dollar annual that disagrees with your assertion.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<45e558d1-dbe3-49f4-a19f-1c74c4f425b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125143&group=sci.electronics.design#125143

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 07:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:55 UTC

On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:08:44 AM UTC-4, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2023 06:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..
> They also block UHF/microwave signals and it can be hard to use
> cellular phones indoors.
In U.S. window area on average runs 10% of the floor space. It's uncanny how uniform that is. People beat it with sun rooms, picture windows and other unnecessary stuff. For the most part there're no reports of loss of cell phone reception in the majority of dwellings.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<e74d3334-9028-4e53-9ffe-5d19ad139456n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125191&group=sci.electronics.design#125191

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:24:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:24 UTC

On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 16:52:28 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:05:49 PM UTC-4, a a wrote:

> > > Are you saying the sun directly shines into the windows at that hour? Your windows must be on a slant, or you're confusing it with an ultrabright background full of reflection.
> > >
> > > https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-efficient-window-coverings
> > >
> > > The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..
> > >
> > > None of the sun blocking performance is to be confused with the basic thermal conductivity/ resistivity of the window. That has to do with heat leakage by conduction and is an entirely different matter.
> > >
> > > The modern variable speed a/c technology should be controlled in such a way that it only runs high speed continuously when the measured temperature exceeds the setpoint by about 3oF, otherwise if runs at less capacity. An extended high capacity run means it's either trying to catch up with an extended setback, or the capacity can't keep up with the heat gain from the record outside temperatures.
> > >

> > "The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them
> > you are completely wrong as always
> >

> > what is offered is so-called venetian mirror installed as window glass
> LOL- there's an industry pushing trillion dollar annual that disagrees with your assertion.

R&D science by Water Cycle 2021 Nobelist from Japan is genuine science

Businesses living on CO2 carbon fake have
no chance to survive today

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<12f59efb-98c2-4362-ae31-4144e50c0ce5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125192&group=sci.electronics.design#125192

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:26:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:26 UTC

On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 16:55:56 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:08:44 AM UTC-4, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Jul 2023 06:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> > <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >The modern energy efficient windows have a transparent metal film in them that totally blocks UVA/B radiation, and that technology works very well to prevent heating and damage from that part of the spectrum..
> > They also block UHF/microwave signals and it can be hard to use
> > cellular phones indoors.
> In U.S. window area on average runs 10% of the floor space. It's uncanny how uniform that is. People beat it with sun rooms, picture windows and other unnecessary stuff. For the most part there're no reports of loss of cell phone reception in the majority of dwellings.

loss of cell phone signal is another fake distributed by morons

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<p1ltM.111$y2b6.40@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125193&group=sci.electronics.design#125193

From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:29:09 GMT
 by: a a - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:29 UTC

Yet one more #veryStupidByLowIQaa post.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<r1ltM.112$y2b6.72@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125194&group=sci.electronics.design#125194

From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:29:11 GMT
 by: a a - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:29 UTC

Yet one more #veryStupidByLowIQaa post.

Re: Cerberus heatwave threatens new record temperatures for Europe

<10717533-2bad-47ac-86bb-87ecccf6ea2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125221&group=sci.electronics.design#125221

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:15 UTC

On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 1:00:38 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
..

> > Heat capacity of the Earth is minuscule compared to the solar energy impinging on it.
> The heat inflow from the sun is 4.4x 10^16 watts. I can't find a heat capacity for the planet as a whole.

Don't bother. Recent estimates are the Earth's core is hotter than the surface of the sun. Everybody except you can understand that's not exactly conducive to absorbing heat from the surface.