Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Only one EV charger at home?!
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 23:02 UTC

On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 2:24:35 PM UTC-4, nib wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 10:26:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:
>
> > On 6/4/2023 3:00 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >> In message <op.15zhd...@ryzen.home>, Commander Kinsey
> >> <C...@nospam.com> writes

> >> That's only because you don't know how to do it properly.

> >> They soon learn not to drive too close to you.

> >> The best idea is to compromise with a sensible mixture of gear-changing
> >> and braking.
> >
> > After I used engine braking as I stopped at his motorcycle shop, the
> > owner told me that brake shoes were way cheaper than engine,
> > transmission and clutch repairs.
> It's all old-hat anyway. The cars of the future, and a lot of them now,
> use regenerative braking. Which is another new skill to learn.

"Skill"? You press on the accelerator to go faster, you press on it less to slow down. Didn't you already know that???

When I got my Tesla, they seemed to have a "partial" mode. I asked how to engage that for a couple of weeks to get used to it, before I used the full Monty. The saleswoman reacted a bit strongly, saying I shouldn't do that as it's an important feature of the car. So I didn't, and two days later I was used to it.

What does take some getting used to, is not having the regenerative braking if you charge close to 100%. So I don't do that. It's also a bit more wear on the battery.

> Mine may be a bit elderly, but the level of regen available depends on
> battery temperature and level of charge. Ideal for energy use
> minimisation is to not use the brake pedal at all except to hold when
> stopped, which means slowing down earlier when it's cold or you are
> starting out with a full battery.

I don't recall a loss of regeneration in the cold. I think it has to be pretty severe cold. Just getting down to freezing doesn't make so much of an impact, from my recollection.

--

Rick C.

++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209