For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: AI Surveillance

SubjectAuthor
* AI SurveillanceDean Hoffman
+* Re: AI SurveillanceDon Y
|`- Re: AI SurveillanceDon Y
+* Re: AI SurveillanceJohn Larkin
|+* Re: AI SurveillanceJan Panteltje
||`* Re: AI SurveillanceJohn Larkin
|| `- Re: AI SurveillanceFred Bloggs
|`* Re: AI SurveillanceFred Bloggs
| `* Re: AI SurveillanceJohn Larkin
|  +- Re: AI SurveillancePhil Hobbs
|  `* Re: AI SurveillanceJan Panteltje
|   `* Re: AI SurveillanceJohn Larkin
|    `- Re: AI SurveillanceMichael Terrell
`- Re: AI SurveillanceFred Bloggs

1
AI Surveillance

<81a24570-9f8f-4c23-9422-513cd7e8f101n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125190&group=sci.electronics.design#125190

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: AI Surveillance
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 00:21 UTC

Quote:
Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
Unquote

From:
"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc

Re: AI Surveillance

<u950ld$1hjj9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125201&group=sci.electronics.design#125201

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: AI Surveillance
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:24:28 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:24 UTC

On 7/17/2023 5:21 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> Quote:
> Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
> Unquote
>
> From:
> "https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc

How is this different than lo9oking for "suspicious behavior" when at
a border crossing? When we *walk* into MX, the border officials
make a point of engaging in a very determined "stare down" to see
if you flinch -- nervous because you are carrying something contraband...
(which may be something as innocent as medications for your *dog*).

Then, if you fail to meet their level of suspicion, singling you
out for a pat-down.

[I had a TSA official ask me to step out of line at the airport
for such a pat down -- because I was wearing a winter parka
(in southern AZ!) with stuffed pockets (hat and gloves for
my New England WINTER destination). On another trip, similarly
being subjected to "additional screening" -- only to find my pockets
stuffed with *apples* (a variety that isn't available elsewhere)]

As long as the behavior isn't used as /prima facie/ evidence of
a crime...

We used to have cameras to watch for red-light runners, speeders, etc.
This, in theory, making sense as the technology is doing what an
officer would otherwise do "in person". But, the company implementing
the technology ("public-private partnership") was too greedy in
setting the criteria that the cameras would use to record "offenses".

So, a ballot initiative BANNED use of ALL such technology, here.
A uniformed officer must make every such complaint going forward.

[It's easy to see how this could readily be extended: put a camera
at one busy intersection on one side of town and another at some
other intersection; GPS-lock their timebases and report anyone
who is seen at "the other" camera within N minutes of their appearance
at the first camera (you *must* have broken the speed limit to
have arrived here in less time than a person driving at/below the
speed limit!)]

[[This is done on some of the parkways across the country -- always
make a point of stopping for gas, bathroom, meal, etc. to artificially
reduce your effective travel speed!]]

You wouldn't hesitate to introduce video evidence of a theft or
accident in a civil case, would you? What if the other party
insisted that a human had to testify to the facts documented
*in* your evidence?

Re: AI Surveillance

<mm1cbi95hidqdla901eru08c6a19fbnjlo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125203&group=sci.electronics.design#125203

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:32:11 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:32 UTC

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
<deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quote:
>Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
> Unquote
>
>From:
>"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc

One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
identify cars.

If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
camera or a camera and some software.

Re: AI Surveillance

<u9526f$1hnl1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125204&group=sci.electronics.design#125204

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:50:38 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:50 UTC

On 7/17/2023 8:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
> We used to have cameras to watch for red-light runners, speeders, etc.
> This, in theory, making sense as the technology is doing what an
> officer would otherwise do "in person".  But, the company implementing
> the technology ("public-private partnership") was too greedy in
> setting the criteria that the cameras would use to record "offenses".
>
> So, a ballot initiative BANNED use of ALL such technology, here.
> A uniformed officer must make every such complaint going forward.

This is a typical "major intersection" in town:

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/22nd+%26+wilmot/@32.2067113,-110.8581819,84m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu>

[try to appreciate the *scale* involved! Head a mile N, S, E or W
for similar intersections...]

For eastbound traffic at the light (lower left), note that the
stop line is the leftmost stripe on the roadway. The two stripes
to the right demarcate the crosswalk. The less visible stripe
to the right of *that* represents the start of the "intersection".

If your vehicle is (entirely) *in* the intersection when the
light changes (to red), you are allowed to continue through
the intersection (in fact, you must do so to "clear" the
intersection).

But, if, for example, a left (north) -turning vehicle has crossed
the stop line and not yet COMPLETELY entered the intersection
by the time the light changes, then you've "run the light"!

EVERYONE creeps past the stop line in anticipation of
continuing through the intersection "once traffic permits".
You can "store" several cars in this no-man's land waiting
for a chance to move through when the traffic permits.

So, lots of people get ticketed for "running" the light
when, in fact, they probably *crawled* through it
(as different from someone who flew through it "at speed")

This sort of thing *feels* unfair (though technically a
violation). So, easy to get citizenry behind an
initiative to ban such technology.

"Too bad, so sad!" for the "private" part of the "partnership".

Re: AI Surveillance

<u955jv$i3t$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125206&group=sci.electronics.design#125206

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 04:49:02 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 04:49 UTC

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:32:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
<mm1cbi95hidqdla901eru08c6a19fbnjlo@4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
><deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Quote:
>>Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for �suspicious� patterns of movement, digging through license plate
>>databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked � and challenged � one of the biggest rollouts
>>of the controversial technology to date.
>> Unquote
>>
>>From:
>>"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc
>
>One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
>car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
>identify cars.
>
>If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
>camera or a camera and some software.

Could be used to find out who dropped the cocaine for the Biden's residence
that investigation was stopped very fast, too fast.

Re: AI Surveillance

<298dbid8iuuile0v5tprub7cc9tv5mddr2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125223&group=sci.electronics.design#125223

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:27:35 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:27 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 04:49:02 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:32:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin
><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
><mm1cbi95hidqdla901eru08c6a19fbnjlo@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
>><deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>>Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate
>>>databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts
>>>of the controversial technology to date.
>>> Unquote
>>>
>>>From:
>>>"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc
>>
>>One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
>>car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
>>identify cars.
>>
>>If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
>>camera or a camera and some software.
>
>Could be used to find out who dropped the cocaine for the Biden's residence
>that investigation was stopped very fast, too fast.

At least a little political damage was harvested from that incident.

Re: AI Surveillance

<afc94f5f-2663-4888-ba8c-a8ff190352c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125233&group=sci.electronics.design#125233

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:21:15 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> Quote:
> Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
> Unquote
>
> From:
> "https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc

Absolutely nothing new here. They're simply applying modern techniques to gathering data that may indicate criminal activity. The kind of data/ behaviors they're looking for have been well established for at least 40 years, probably much farther back. Criminals unknowingly give themselves away a hundred times over.

Re: AI Surveillance

<cc859fde-1c28-4cb2-b8ac-16437dcb3ca8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125237&group=sci.electronics.design#125237

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:25 UTC

On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 11:32:28 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
> <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Quote:
> >Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
> > Unquote
> >
> >From:
> >"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc
> One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
> car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
> identify cars.
>
> If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
> camera or a camera and some software.

Ben Gold is a gold digger, probably an anarchist. The Constitution doesn't say anything about protections from 'dragnet surveillance.' Gold and people like him are doubly infuriated by the fact the AI surveillance was right.

The ALPR is more extensive than people know. I'm pretty sure every access and exit on every interstate in America has them.

Re: AI Surveillance

<2f1497e7-4995-4961-9b03-1ab9f89f5c0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125238&group=sci.electronics.design#125238

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:27 UTC

On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 10:27:52 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 04:49:02 GMT, Jan Panteltje <al...@comet.invalid>
> wrote:
> >On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:32:11 -0700) it happened John Larkin
> ><jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
> ><mm1cbi95hidqdla90...@4ax.com>:

> >>One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
> >>car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
> >>identify cars.
> >>
> >>If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
> >>camera or a camera and some software.
> >
> >Could be used to find out who dropped the cocaine for the Biden's residence
> >that investigation was stopped very fast, too fast.
> At least a little political damage was harvested from that incident.

It was planted by a Freedom Caucus operative.

Re: AI Surveillance

<bgfdbithiea2sm84c5cr9apd0k00a4tck4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125242&group=sci.electronics.design#125242

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:32:47 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:25:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 11:32:28?PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
>> <dean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Quote:
>> >Artificial intelligence is helping American cops look for “suspicious” patterns of movement, digging through license plate databases with billions of records. A drug trafficking case in New York has uncloaked — and challenged — one of the biggest rollouts of the controversial technology to date.
>> > Unquote
>> >
>> >From:
>> >"https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2023/07/17/license-plate-reader-ai-criminal/?sh=56cb2f4e3ccc
>> One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
>> car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
>> identify cars.
>>
>> If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
>> camera or a camera and some software.
>
>Ben Gold is a gold digger, probably an anarchist. The Constitution doesn't say anything about protections from 'dragnet surveillance.' Gold and people like him are doubly infuriated by the fact the AI surveillance was right.
>
>The ALPR is more extensive than people know. I'm pretty sure every access and exit on every interstate in America has them.

It's better to conduct all your illegal activities indoors where no
person or camera can see you.

Nowadays, you can wear a mask when you go out in public.

Re: AI Surveillance

<u976pf$1qv8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125283&group=sci.electronics.design#125283

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 23:21:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QlKlp8YmDnaF8BMtAT3FPwZMyGw=
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 23:21 UTC

John Larkin <jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:25:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 11:32:28?PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

>>> One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
>>> car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
>>> identify cars.
>>>
>>> If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
>>> camera or a camera and some software.
>>
>> Ben Gold is a gold digger, probably an anarchist. The Constitution
>> doesn't say anything about protections from 'dragnet surveillance.' Gold
>> and people like him are doubly infuriated by the fact the AI surveillance was right.
>>
>> The ALPR is more extensive than people know. I'm pretty sure every
>> access and exit on every interstate in America has them.
>
> It's better to conduct all your illegal activities indoors where no
> person or camera can see you.
>
> Nowadays, you can wear a mask when you go out in public.

It’s also good to put a pebble in one shoe to change your gait.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

Re: AI Surveillance

<u97vkr$1ts7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125300&group=sci.electronics.design#125300

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:25:30 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:25 UTC

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:32:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
<bgfdbithiea2sm84c5cr9apd0k00a4tck4@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:25:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 11:32:28?PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

>>> One doesn't have an expectation of privacy when driving in public in a
>>> car with a license plate. That's one reason we have license plates, to
>>> identify cars.
>>>
>>> If cop can investigate suspected illegal public behavior, so can a
>>> camera or a camera and some software.
>>
>>Ben Gold is a gold digger, probably an anarchist. The Constitution doesn't say anything about protections from 'dragnet
>>surveillance.' Gold and people like him are doubly infuriated by the fact the AI surveillance was right.
>>
>>The ALPR is more extensive than people know. I'm pretty sure every access and exit on every interstate in America has them.
>
>It's better to conduct all your illegal activities indoors where no
>person or camera can see you.
>
>Nowadays, you can wear a mask when you go out in public.

With a camera on every streetlight it will track you to / from your home,
they know who ordered a mask like that, what calls you made, what sites you visited...
In China they give you points for good behavior, know everything about you with systems like that.
Will get worse when everybody gets chipped...

The big reaction (like every action has) will come when electrickety fails
an other solar storm was to hit yesterday... forgot to look for the colors in the sky.. too many clouds..
Or some high altitude nukes..
Total collapse of civilization will then follow in a few weeks...
Was a program about it on German TV a few days back..
was thinking 'bit exaggerated', but then again, no food, no cooling of stuff in the supermarkets and warehouses,
no more 'lectric transport, robberies for food, gunfights over food, no way to pay for anything, chaos.
Should there not be some sort of backup plan? Especially now Biden steers Russia towards a nuclear war?

Re: AI Surveillance

<afvfbi5k37atp33gsuq2beo69rco5sgsu2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125326&group=sci.electronics.design#125326

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:17:46 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:17 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jul 2023 06:25:30 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:32:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin
><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
><bgfdbithiea2sm84c5cr9apd0k00a4tck4@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:25:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Ben Gold is a gold digger, probably an anarchist. The Constitution doesn't say anything about protections from 'dragnet
>>>surveillance.' Gold and people like him are doubly infuriated by the fact the AI surveillance was right.
>>>
>>>The ALPR is more extensive than people know. I'm pretty sure every access and exit on every interstate in America has them.
>>
>>It's better to conduct all your illegal activities indoors where no
>>person or camera can see you.
>>
>>Nowadays, you can wear a mask when you go out in public.
>
>With a camera on every streetlight it will track you to / from your home,
>they know who ordered a mask like that, what calls you made, what sites you visited...
>In China they give you points for good behavior, know everything about you with systems like that.
>Will get worse when everybody gets chipped...

Your phone tracks you, as does your credit card records.

“You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.”

- Scott McNealy

Re: AI Surveillance

<da36f4f5-268e-4225-af96-9e733e5d47d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=125333&group=sci.electronics.design#125333

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: terrell....@gmail.com (Michael Terrell)
 by: Michael Terrell - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 16:13 UTC

On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 11:18:03 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

> Your phone tracks you, as does your credit card records.
>
> “You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.”

I have to laugh when people complain about the government wanting your health records Many millions are provided health care by the government, so they already have it.This includes what medicine that you take.

In fact, I'm just leaving for Wound Care at one of the local VA CBOCs.