Subject: Re: Knowledge defined to overcome the Gettier problem
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.lang.semantics,sci.lang,fa.analytic-philosophy
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:36:45 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:36 UTC

On 4/26/2021 12:19 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 4/22/21 12:03 PM, olcott wrote:
>> Instead of defining knowledge as a justified true belief that leaves
>> gaps in the degree of connection between the justification of the belief
>> and its truth we could define knowledge as the complete comprehension
>> that an assertion is necessarily true and thus impossibly false.
>>
>> The assertion that semantic meanings are expressed using words proves
>> itself to be true on the basis that it is an example of semantic
>> meanings expressed using words.
>>
>> It is also irrefutable because every refutation will also be an example
>> of semantic meanings using words.
>>

> I will point out that some of your arguments actually show show that
> words do not always have precise semantic meanings, and thus it does not
> an irrefutable proof.
>
> The semantic meaning of a sentence are only properly expressed using
> words when the words have a proper agreed upon meanings in context.
>
> semantic meaning can also be not expressed by the words used, but the
> words express some other false meaning.

if we adapt the conventional definition of knowledge from:
[justified true belief]
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/knowledge-analysis/#KnowJustTrueBeli
to become a [fully justified true belief] such that this justification
guarantees the truth of the belief, then the "Gettier problems" with
original definition cease to exist.

[Self-evidence] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-evidence
In epistemology (theory of knowledge), a self-evident proposition is a
proposition that is known to be true by understanding its meaning
without proof...

"This sentence is comprised of words." is proved to be true entirely on
the basis of the meaning of the terms: {sentence}, {comprised}, and
{words} combined together to form the compositional meaning of the whole
sentence.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Knowledge defined to overcome the Gettier problem

<bf79a93b-2b4f-4bb9-8c16-2a6756e35ef9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12615&group=sci.lang#12615

Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: dkleine...@gmail.com (DKleinecke)
 by: DKleinecke - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:55 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 10:36:21 AM UTC-7, olcott wrote:
> On 4/26/2021 12:19 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> > On 4/22/21 12:03 PM, olcott wrote:
> >> Instead of defining knowledge as a justified true belief that leaves
> >> gaps in the degree of connection between the justification of the belief
> >> and its truth we could define knowledge as the complete comprehension
> >> that an assertion is necessarily true and thus impossibly false.
> >>
> >> The assertion that semantic meanings are expressed using words proves
> >> itself to be true on the basis that it is an example of semantic
> >> meanings expressed using words.
> >>
> >> It is also irrefutable because every refutation will also be an example
> >> of semantic meanings using words.
> >>

> > I will point out that some of your arguments actually show show that
> > words do not always have precise semantic meanings, and thus it does not
> > an irrefutable proof.
> >
> > The semantic meaning of a sentence are only properly expressed using
> > words when the words have a proper agreed upon meanings in context.
> >
> > semantic meaning can also be not expressed by the words used, but the
> > words express some other false meaning.
> >

> if we adapt the conventional definition of knowledge from:
> [justified true belief]
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/knowledge-analysis/#KnowJustTrueBeli
> to become a [fully justified true belief] such that this justification
> guarantees the truth of the belief, then the "Gettier problems" with
> original definition cease to exist.
>
> [Self-evidence] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-evidence
> In epistemology (theory of knowledge), a self-evident proposition is a
> proposition that is known to be true by understanding its meaning
> without proof...
>
> "This sentence is comprised of words." is proved to be true entirely on
> the basis of the meaning of the terms: {sentence}, {comprised}, and
> {words} combined together to form the compositional meaning of the whole
> sentence.

IMO this kind of philosophical speculation is not helpful in the study of
human language.