"Aww, if you make me cry anymore, you'll fog up my helmet." -- "Visionaries" cartoon

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

SubjectAuthor
* Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - queryCharlie+
`* Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - queryJasen Betts
 +* Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - queryJohn Robertson
 |`- Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - queryCharlie+
 `- Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - queryCharlie+

1
Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

<ovmmci518m2jo22ajhr2g23np83dfenqgu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=126315&group=sci.electronics.design#126315

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 08:49:16 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 07:49 UTC

Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and
tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level
opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check
2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike
battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage!
Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for
protection? Thanks C+

Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

<uafr8b$5qg$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=126318&group=sci.electronics.design#126318

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:15:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:15 UTC

On 2023-08-03, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
> Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and
> tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level
> opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check
> 2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike
> battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage!
> Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for
> protection? Thanks C+

Look at the voltage rating of C5, C6, C7 and the wattage rating of R23
subtract the supply voltage (5v) and there's your answer; and if you
want to upgrade the voltage rating, there's your shopping list.

http://bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/k7214.pdf

--
Jasen.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні

Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

<uagvti$sv61$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=126346&group=sci.electronics.design#126346

From: jrr...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:41:35 -0700
 by: John Robertson - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:41 UTC

On 2023/08/03 2:15 a.m., Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2023-08-03, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
>> Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and
>> tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level
>> opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check
>> 2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike
>> battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage!
>> Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for
>> protection? Thanks C+
>
> Look at the voltage rating of C5, C6, C7 and the wattage rating of R23
> subtract the supply voltage (5v) and there's your answer; and if you
> want to upgrade the voltage rating, there's your shopping list.
>
> http://bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/k7214.pdf

Nice to see people picking up Bob's suggestions of using the ESR meter
to check batteries! Bob and I talked about that in the late 90s.

https://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html

The capacitors protecting the inputs are 50V or 63V rated as per the
schematics. Should be safe for 42 to 48VDC batteries.

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

<em4pci9463vhsh7cbqdpgqnrofp7pe68f6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=126361&group=sci.electronics.design#126361

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 07:03:54 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:03 UTC

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:15:55 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts
<usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org> wrote as underneath :

>On 2023-08-03, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
>> Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and
>> tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level
>> opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check
>> 2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike
>> battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage!
>> Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for
>> protection? Thanks C+
>
>Look at the voltage rating of C5, C6, C7 and the wattage rating of R23
>subtract the supply voltage (5v) and there's your answer; and if you
>want to upgrade the voltage rating, there's your shopping list.
>
>http://bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/k7214.pdf

Thanks to you and J for replies, as I recall I just put together the kit
as supplied! I will double check those items for V and Wattage just in
case, thanks C+

Re: Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

<pfjuci506oln6vgtj14tnogcm5d4tttbhd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=126445&group=sci.electronics.design#126445

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 09:23:54 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 08:23 UTC

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:41:35 -0700, John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com>
wrote as underneath :

>On 2023/08/03 2:15 a.m., Jasen Betts wrote:
>> On 2023-08-03, Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net> wrote:
>>> Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and
>>> tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level
>>> opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check
>>> 2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike
>>> battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage!
>>> Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for
>>> protection? Thanks C+
>>
>> Look at the voltage rating of C5, C6, C7 and the wattage rating of R23
>> subtract the supply voltage (5v) and there's your answer; and if you
>> want to upgrade the voltage rating, there's your shopping list.
>>
>> http://bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/k7214.pdf
>>

>Nice to see people picking up Bob's suggestions of using the ESR meter
>to check batteries! Bob and I talked about that in the late 90s.
>
>https://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html
>
>The capacitors protecting the inputs are 50V or 63V rated as per the
>schematics. Should be safe for 42 to 48VDC batteries.
>
>John :-#)#

OK just a feedback update for interest, my meter is the Anatek version
of the Bob Parker kit built about 10 years ago and the input components
are as per the schematic, just checked for safety as up thread!
I tested my two 10S 36-42v e-bike batteries one about 7 years old and
the other 1 year old. Used the output terminals with the batteries ready
for use at about 80% charge, part of the ESR reads will be from the BMS
circuits and all the internal wiring.
Older battery : 30 Ohms (this one is still OK but near end of useful
life, down to about 1/4 of original milage on the clock)
Newer battery : 14 Ohms.
C+