When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers. -- The Wall Street Journal

interests / sci.anthropology.paleo / Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

SubjectAuthor
* The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspectivelittor...@gmail.com
`* Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspectivePrimum Sapienti
 `* Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspectiveDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves
  `* Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspectiveI Envy JTEM
   `- Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspectiveDD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves

1
The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

<7933ca4e-737e-4df3-8beb-b9f22cae0532n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12444&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12444

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 13:24:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:24 UTC

The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective
Gareth F Morgan 2019
One of the greatest unsolved mysteries in palaeo-anthropology surrounds the 100s of 1000s of carefully shaped stone tools that have been found all over the world, known as “hand axes” or macroliths. Whatever their purpose, the design remained unchanged for at least 2 mill.yrs, making it by far the most successful design of all time. Considerations of the design, material choice & distribution of these artefacts along with climate, diet & associated fossil remains provide clear evidence that the hand-axe was not only critical to the survival of the human species & its precursors, but was also instrumental in shaping many of the physiological & anatomical adaptations that so markedly differentiate us from all other primates, from our raised instep to the shape of our teeth, and from the structure of our kidneys to our sweat glands.

Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

<srqjqg$ue0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12504&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12504

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 18:32:02 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 01:32 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective
> Gareth F Morgan 2019
> One of the greatest unsolved mysteries in palaeo-anthropology surrounds the 100s of 1000s of carefully shaped stone tools that have been found all over the world, known as “hand axes” or macroliths. Whatever their purpose, the design remained unchanged for at least 2 mill.yrs, making it by far the most successful design of all time. Considerations of the design, material choice & distribution of these artefacts along with climate, diet & associated fossil remains provide clear evidence that the hand-axe was not only critical to the survival of the human species & its precursors, but was also instrumental in shaping many of the physiological & anatomical adaptations that so markedly differentiate us from all other primates, from our raised instep to the shape of our teeth, and from the structure of our kidneys to our sweat glands.

Which you posted last March and to which Pandora replied:

https://www.academia.edu/40664984/The_Acheulean_hand_axe_a_toolmakers_perspective

> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0047248400904664

"Woodworking activities by early humans: a plant residue analysis on
Acheulian stone tools from Peninj (Tanzania)"

<https://www.academia.edu/9123974/Woodworking_activities_by_early_humans_a_plant_residue_analysis_on_Acheulian_stone_tools_from_Peninj_Tanzania>

> "unambiguous evidence of their function as woodworking tools"

Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

<86e7fb3c-5b97-4b55-85e5-1b364e17006an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12674&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12674

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 00:00:40 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 08:00 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 8:32:01 PM UTC-5, Primum Sapienti wrote:
> littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective
> > Gareth F Morgan 2019
> > One of the greatest unsolved mysteries in palaeo-anthropology surrounds the 100s of 1000s of carefully shaped stone tools that have been found all over the world, known as “hand axes” or macroliths. Whatever their purpose, the design remained unchanged for at least 2 mill.yrs, making it by far the most successful design of all time. Considerations of the design, material choice & distribution of these artefacts along with climate, diet & associated fossil remains provide clear evidence that the hand-axe was not only critical to the survival of the human species & its precursors, but was also instrumental in shaping many of the physiological & anatomical adaptations that so markedly differentiate us from all other primates, from our raised instep to the shape of our teeth, and from the structure of our kidneys to our sweat glands.
> >
> Which you posted last March and to which Pandora replied:
>
> Pandora wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 10:56:14 -0800 (PST), "littor...@gmail.com"
> > <littor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> https://www.academia.edu/40664984/The_Acheulean_hand_axe_a_toolmakers_perspective
> >
> > https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0047248400904664
>
> "Woodworking activities by early humans: a plant residue analysis on
> Acheulian stone tools from Peninj (Tanzania)"
>

> <https://www.academia.edu/9123974/Woodworking_activities_by_early_humans_a_plant_residue_analysis_on_Acheulian_stone_tools_from_Peninj_Tanzania>
> >
> > "unambiguous evidence of their function as woodworking tools"

Pygmies slit the stems of large broad-leaves and clothespin them to the wicker frame of their dome huts. Ancient Homo did the same with their domeshield, and used the same slit & pin method to hang and cure ultra-thin meat slices at streamside (sunnier there than under the forest canopy) before fire was domesticated. Killing a boar or sow required a strong sharp spear, the hunters stood behind shields next to trees, if charged they climbed 2' up the tree, safe since the boar couldn't raise it's head, unlike a bull or stag. (Russians do this, they cling to tree trunks just above the ground, no need to climb higher.)

Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

<90f4567c-f112-4f54-90d7-11ac9e4d2cffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12685&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12685

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:20:40 -0800 (PST)
From: jte...@gmail.com (I Envy JTEM)
 by: I Envy JTEM - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:20 UTC

DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves wrote:

> Pygmies slit the stems of large broad-leaves and clothespin them to the wicker frame of their dome huts.

You need to open a window, let some air in.

-- --

https://rumble.com/vqwxtc-the-worst-of-watch-this-volume-ii.html

Re: The Acheulean hand axe; a toolmaker's perspective

<dc4d2e91-b0a5-4b85-8cee-71b501eea280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=12689&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#12689

Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:50:54 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (DD'eDeN aka note/nickname/alas_my_loves)
 by: DD'eDeN aka not - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:50 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfc5RFEXkbc