The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners

SubjectAuthor
* List of Ig Nobel Prize winnersFred Bloggs
+* Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winnersa a
|`- Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winnersa a
`- Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winnersbud--

1
List of Ig Nobel Prize winners

<daa376cc-0d25-4f76-9e7e-cdf7409b2e3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127069&group=sci.electronics.design#127069

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 06:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:15 UTC

Some awards are quite hilarious, others make statements:

1991

Education – Dan Quayle, "consumer of time and occupier of space" (as well as the then-U.S. Vice President), for demonstrating, better than anyone else, the need for science education.

2020

Medical Education: Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Narendra Modi of India, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the United States, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan, for using the COVID-19 viral pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can.

At least one recipient physicist actually did go on to win the real Nobel Prize:

Sir Andre Geim
Born in Russia of German parents, he has dual British and Dutch citizenship and is a professor at the University of Manchester. In 2010 he received the Nobel Prize in Physics for his pioneering research on graphene. This was in addition to the Ig Nobel prize he was awarded in 2000 for his work on levitating frogs, making him the only person to have received both prizes. He has also been knighted in Britain and the Netherlands, and two of his papers are among the top 100 most cited publications in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ig_Nobel_Prize_winners

Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners

<d4c6b7b5-a127-45cd-903c-6f05db57c861n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127099&group=sci.electronics.design#127099

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 23:06 UTC

On Thursday, 17 August 2023 at 15:15:47 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Some awards are quite hilarious, others make statements:
>
> 1991
>
> Education – Dan Quayle, "consumer of time and occupier of space" (as well as the then-U.S. Vice President), for demonstrating, better than anyone else, the need for science education.
>
> 2020
>
> Medical Education: Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Narendra Modi of India, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the United States, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan, for using the COVID-19 viral pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can.
>
> At least one recipient physicist actually did go on to win the real Nobel Prize:
>
> Sir Andre Geim
> Born in Russia of German parents, he has dual British and Dutch citizenship and is a professor at the University of Manchester. In 2010 he received the Nobel Prize in Physics for his pioneering research on graphene. This was in addition to the Ig Nobel prize he was awarded in 2000 for his work on levitating frogs, making him the only person to have received both prizes. He has also been knighted in Britain and the Netherlands, and two of his papers are among the top 100 most cited publications in history.

We don't need idiots any more

Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners

<X9yDM.113401$PlBb.36648@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127103&group=sci.electronics.design#127103

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: nul...@void.com (bud--)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:35:18 -0600
 by: bud-- - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 00:35 UTC

On 8/17/2023 7:15 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Some awards are quite hilarious, others make statements:
>
> 1991
>
> Education – Dan Quayle, "consumer of time and occupier of space" (as well as the then-U.S. Vice President), for demonstrating, better than anyone else, the need for science education.
>
> 2020
>
> Medical Education: Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Narendra Modi of India, Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Donald Trump of the United States, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey, Vladimir Putin of Russia, and Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow of Turkmenistan, for using the COVID-19 viral pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists and doctors can.
>
> At least one recipient physicist actually did go on to win the real Nobel Prize:
>
> Sir Andre Geim
> Born in Russia of German parents, he has dual British and Dutch citizenship and is a professor at the University of Manchester. In 2010 he received the Nobel Prize in Physics for his pioneering research on graphene. This was in addition to the Ig Nobel prize he was awarded in 2000 for his work on levitating frogs, making him the only person to have received both prizes. He has also been knighted in Britain and the Netherlands, and two of his papers are among the top 100 most cited publications in history.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ig_Nobel_Prize_winners

The award ceremony is fun to watch. One of the features is (was?) a
short address by 3 Nobel prize winners - made at the same time.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize>

Re: List of Ig Nobel Prize winners

<GqyDM.320027$sU56.190394@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid