"sic transit discus mundi" (From the System Administrator's Guide, by Lars Wirzenius)

tech / sci.electronics.design / Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

SubjectAuthor
* Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves dropFred Bloggs
`* Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves dropJohn Larkin
 +* Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves dropJan Panteltje
 |+- Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves dropJohn Larkin
 |+- Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service asRicky
 |`* Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service asFred Bloggs
 | `- Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service asJan Panteltje
 `- Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service asFred Bloggs

1
Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<eeb80d3b-2000-4bde-a3ea-ed1a96df1b49n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127127&group=sci.electronics.design#127127

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:53 UTC

Texas power is holding on by a thread.

87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if they can even support the additional demand?

"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means 5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.

Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle, energy-inefficient quarters.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<tl1vdi136aggudvcghjiod51lk61p39tms@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127134&group=sci.electronics.design#127134

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 14:58 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>Texas power is holding on by a thread.
>
>87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if they can even support the additional demand?
>
>"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means 5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
>
>Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle, energy-inefficient quarters.
>
>https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/

They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<ubo3s1$8hq7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127137&group=sci.electronics.design#127137

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:48:16 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:48 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
<tl1vdi136aggudvcghjiod51lk61p39tms@4ax.com>:

>On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Texas power is holding on by a thread.
>>
>>87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if
>>they can even support the additional demand?
>>
>>"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means
>>5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
>>
>>Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric
>>bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle,
>>energy-inefficient quarters.
>>
>>https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
>
>They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.

You also drive without headlights at night?

Its funny, the house here was recently completely insulated, double glazing, space between walls filled with some foam,
roof double insulated.
With 16 C outside at night it was close to 30 C upstairs in the bedrooms at the first floor a few days ago...
All heat goes up via the stairs...
Opening windows is a bad idea as there are more insects than people here, filters are open though.
I like it, hot does not do much with me, neither does cold, but hot is nicer.
Sleep with curtains open looking at the stars.

Lemme see, 7:41 PM afternoon, 23.2 C outside, 25 C living room, 27.3 upstairs,
But at night you need electricity, for TV, radio, lights, computah, charging phones, cooking, fridge, security system, what not.
Some even charge their electric vehicles at night or so I've heard...
Fans! some use fans and aircos to cool things.

I say it again, the Texan should make their own power system, oil, solar.

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<9o5vdihsrmla53fccs52usthu9jd4ua8ui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127138&group=sci.electronics.design#127138

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:11:13 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:11 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:48:16 GMT, Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin
><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
><tl1vdi136aggudvcghjiod51lk61p39tms@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Texas power is holding on by a thread.
>>>
>>>87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if
>>>they can even support the additional demand?
>>>
>>>"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means
>>>5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
>>>
>>>Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric
>>>bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle,
>>>energy-inefficient quarters.
>>>
>>>https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
>>
>>They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.
>
>You also drive without headlights at night?
>
>Its funny, the house here was recently completely insulated, double glazing, space between walls filled with some foam,
>roof double insulated.
>With 16 C outside at night it was close to 30 C upstairs in the bedrooms at the first floor a few days ago...
>All heat goes up via the stairs...
>Opening windows is a bad idea as there are more insects than people here, filters are open though.
>I like it, hot does not do much with me, neither does cold, but hot is nicer.
>Sleep with curtains open looking at the stars.
>
> Lemme see, 7:41 PM afternoon, 23.2 C outside, 25 C living room, 27.3 upstairs,
>But at night you need electricity, for TV, radio, lights, computah, charging phones, cooking, fridge, security system, what not.
>Some even charge their electric vehicles at night or so I've heard...
>Fans! some use fans and aircos to cool things.
>
>I say it again, the Texan should make their own power system, oil, solar.

They have lots of natural gas, which burns clean and is 80% hydrogen.

Texas has a lot of coal too. They can sell that to the Chinese to
burn.

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<6c566cc7-4a0b-4d6b-a692-dc0fa15e706bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127139&group=sci.electronics.design#127139

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as
reserves drop
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:07 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:48:26 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin
> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
> <tl1vdi136aggudvcg...@4ax.com>:
> >On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> ><bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Texas power is holding on by a thread.
> >>
> >>87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if
> >>they can even support the additional demand?
> >>
> >>"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means
> >>5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
> >>
> >>Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric
> >>bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle,
> >>energy-inefficient quarters.
> >>
> >>https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
> >
> >They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.
> You also drive without headlights at night?
>
> Its funny, the house here was recently completely insulated, double glazing, space between walls filled with some foam,
> roof double insulated.
> With 16 C outside at night it was close to 30 C upstairs in the bedrooms at the first floor a few days ago...
> All heat goes up via the stairs...
> Opening windows is a bad idea as there are more insects than people here, filters are open though.
> I like it, hot does not do much with me, neither does cold, but hot is nicer.
> Sleep with curtains open looking at the stars.
>
> Lemme see, 7:41 PM afternoon, 23.2 C outside, 25 C living room, 27.3 upstairs,
> But at night you need electricity, for TV, radio, lights, computah, charging phones, cooking, fridge, security system, what not.
> Some even charge their electric vehicles at night or so I've heard...
> Fans! some use fans and aircos to cool things.
>
> I say it again, the Texan should make their own power system, oil, solar.

I just realized how much alike you and Larkin are. You judge everyone by comparing to yourself and you always know the simple, obvious solution.

It must be nice to live in your world.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<68e4065a-49f0-4b6e-96ad-29b6e234e524n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127141&group=sci.electronics.design#127141

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
reserves drop
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:18 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 10:59:20 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Texas power is holding on by a thread.
> >
> >87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if they can even support the additional demand?
> >
> >"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means 5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
> >
> >Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle, energy-inefficient quarters.
> >
> >https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
> They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.

They've done a poor job of engineering their gas power generation facilities against the excess heat. The temperature of the incoming air as well as the operating temperature of their liquid cooling condensers is apparently knocking them offline. They don't want to spend the extra money to go geothermal on it, which would make the generation the same as operating on a cool autumn day. That would be the old climate autumn, which unfortunately is gone for the next 1000 years

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<d440f688-82bc-465a-b47f-d2b09b4b3393n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127142&group=sci.electronics.design#127142

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
reserves drop
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 17:29 UTC

On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:48:26 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin
> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
> <tl1vdi136aggudvcg...@4ax.com>:
> >On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> ><bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Texas power is holding on by a thread.
> >>
> >>87 GW peaks is insane. Do these dumb 'growth at any cost' states consult with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if
> >>they can even support the additional demand?
> >>
> >>"Real-time power prices rose above $5,000 in most of ERCOT Texas hubs, according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means
> >>5,000 $/MWh- that's kind of crazy.
> >>
> >>Supposedly there is an unfolding major problem in the heat wave areas of lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric
> >>bills they're unknowingly racking up. This is compounded by the fact of low income people living in ramshackle,
> >>energy-inefficient quarters.
> >>
> >>https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ercot-issues-voluntary-power-conservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
> >
> >They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.
> You also drive without headlights at night?
>
> Its funny, the house here was recently completely insulated, double glazing, space between walls filled with some foam,
> roof double insulated.
> With 16 C outside at night it was close to 30 C upstairs in the bedrooms at the first floor a few days ago...
> All heat goes up via the stairs...
> Opening windows is a bad idea as there are more insects than people here, filters are open though.
> I like it, hot does not do much with me, neither does cold, but hot is nicer.
> Sleep with curtains open looking at the stars.

That's the problem with multistory houses, they need zoned ventilation to even out the temperatures, and that is apparently beyond the abilities of the installation people. I believe the Dutch started that whole multistory thing in Europe. It's all about cramming more living space on smaller lots and saving money, because it needs just the one foundation and the one roof for the floorspace compared to twice the foundation and roof of a single story. The one story requires a bigger lot obviously.

They've figured this out in U.S., but it's not widely installed: An e.g.:

https://www.lennox.com/buyers-guide/guide-to-hvac/glossary/zoning-system

> Lemme see, 7:41 PM afternoon, 23.2 C outside, 25 C living room, 27.3 upstairs,
> But at night you need electricity, for TV, radio, lights, computah, charging phones, cooking, fridge, security system, what not.
> Some even charge their electric vehicles at night or so I've heard...
> Fans! some use fans and aircos to cool things.
>
> I say it again, the Texan should make their own power system, oil, solar.

Re: Texas grid operator deploys emergency response service as reserves drop

<ubpn3q$9906$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127171&group=sci.electronics.design#127171

From: ali...@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
reserves drop
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 06:22:49 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 06:22 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:29:50 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in
<d440f688-82bc-465a-b47f-d2b09b4b3393n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:48:26 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrot=
>e:
>> On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:58:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin=
>
>> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
>> <tl1vdi136aggudvcg...@4ax.com>:

>t with major infrastructure 'partners' to determine if

>according to the ERCOT website." I assume that means

>f lots of people not being able to pay the huge electric
> low income people living in ramshackle,

>nservation-call-texas-heat-wave-2023-08-17/
>> >
>> >They need more solar panels! Nobody needs electricity after sunset.
>> You also drive without headlights at night?
>>
>> Its funny, the house here was recently completely insulated, double glazi=
>ng, space between walls filled with some foam,
>> roof double insulated.
>> With 16 C outside at night it was close to 30 C upstairs in the bedrooms =
>at the first floor a few days ago...
>> All heat goes up via the stairs...
>> Opening windows is a bad idea as there are more insects than people here,=
> filters are open though.
>> I like it, hot does not do much with me, neither does cold, but hot is ni=
>cer.
>> Sleep with curtains open looking at the stars.
>
>That's the problem with multistory houses, they need zoned ventilation to e=
>ven out the temperatures, and that is apparently beyond the abilities of th=
>e installation people. I believe the Dutch started that whole multistory th=
>ing in Europe. It's all about cramming more living space on smaller lots an=
>d saving money, because it needs just the one foundation and the one roof f=
>or the floorspace compared to twice the foundation and roof of a single sto=
>ry. The one story requires a bigger lot obviously.
>
>They've figured this out in U.S., but it's not widely installed: An e.g.:
>
>https://www.lennox.com/buyers-guide/guide-to-hvac/glossary/zoning-system

Interesting, but likely a lot of work to install and expensive...

Yes not much space here, it is a small country very densely populated.