From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Firefox beginning to disintigrate?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:42:31 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 11:42 UTC

On 2022-08-25 01:53, RichA wrote:
> I've used Firefox for over a decade, it's always been quite good. However, in addition to being by far the largest memory user amongst the browsers, there seems to be an increase in errors cropping up when attempting to connect with various sites. Bell and now Ebay are two examples. Typical errors are like below and happen intermittently. Chrome has probably taken a large piece of their market over the last few years.
>
> Secure Connection Failed
> An error occurred during a connection to mesg.ebay.ca. Peer’s Certificate has been revoked.
> Error code: SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
> Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

That's not a Firefox error.

However, I don't see the relationship between FF and photography.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Firefox beginning to disintigrate?

<vu31ui-a03.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12734&group=rec.photo.digital#12734

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:04:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 10:04 UTC

On 2022-08-26 01:48, RichA wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 August 2022 at 07:44:13 UTC-4, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-08-25 01:53, RichA wrote:
>>> I've used Firefox for over a decade, it's always been quite good. However, in addition to being by far the largest memory user amongst the browsers, there seems to be an increase in errors cropping up when attempting to connect with various sites. Bell and now Ebay are two examples. Typical errors are like below and happen intermittently. Chrome has probably taken a large piece of their market over the last few years.
>>>
>>> Secure Connection Failed
>>> An error occurred during a connection to mesg.ebay.ca. Peer’s Certificate has been revoked.
>>> Error code: SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE
>>> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>>> Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
>> That's not a Firefox error.
>>
>> However, I don't see the relationship between FF and photography.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Carlos.
>
> It is a firefox error or something firefox did. It was replicated on two different machines, on two different I.P addresses and the error did not occur with chrome or opera.

Firefox simply informed you of an error on the server. Of course it
replicates on different machines. Too bad Chrome did not inform of the
error, that is a bug.

Still, how does that relate to this group? This is off topic.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Firefox beginning to disintigrate?

<telge8$1h701$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12736&group=rec.photo.digital#12736

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:12:42 -0400
 by: Neil - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:12 UTC

On 8/30/2022 6:04 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-08-26 01:48, RichA wrote:

>>> That's not a Firefox error.
>>>
>>> However, I don't see the relationship between FF and photography.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers, Carlos.
>>
>> It is a firefox error or something firefox did.  It was replicated on
>> two different machines, on two different I.P addresses and the error
>> did not occur with chrome or opera.
>
> Firefox simply informed you of an error on the server. Of course it
> replicates on different machines. Too bad Chrome did not inform of the
> error, that is a bug.
>
> Still, how does that relate to this group? This is off topic.

You are right that this is OT, and should have been marked as such.

But, since this is bouncing between which app has an error, I'll toss in
that it may have nothing to do with either app, but with the DNS server
that each app is using. If the site's new certificate hadn't yet
replicated to the DNS server that Firefox used, but did to the one
Chrome used, this is exactly the result one would get.

--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Firefox beginning to disintigrate?

<teqtp8$28g6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=12755&group=rec.photo.digital#12755

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:31:06 -0400
 by: Neil - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 18:31 UTC

On 8/31/2022 3:47 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 August 2022 at 13:12:47 UTC-4, Neil wrote:

>>> Firefox simply informed you of an error on the server. Of course it
>>> replicates on different machines. Too bad Chrome did not inform of the
>>> error, that is a bug.
>>>
>>> Still, how does that relate to this group? This is off topic.
>>>
>> You are right that this is OT, and should have been marked as such.
>>
>> But, since this is bouncing between which app has an error, I'll toss in
>> that it may have nothing to do with either app, but with the DNS server
>> that each app is using. If the site's new certificate hadn't yet
>> replicated to the DNS server that Firefox used, but did to the one
>> Chrome used, this is exactly the result one would get.
>>
>> --
>> best regards,
>>
>> Neil
>
> Yes, got the error in Firefox and Chrome now. Firefox named the error, Chrome just refused to link with the site.
> Meanwhile, they are Canada's largest service provider. Pathetic.

It has nothing to do with how large the service provider is. Propagation
of the new certificate to the DNS you're using can take days to
complete. Given your level of tech awareness, I'd suggest that you just
wait for it to happen.

--
best regards,

Neil

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Firefox beginning to disintigrate?