Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

SubjectAuthor
* Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersbitrex
+* Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersbitrex
|`* Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersboB
| `- Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersbitrex
+- Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersJohn Larkin
`* Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersDon Y
 `* Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersJohn Larkin
  `- Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adaptersRicky

1
Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<GnpHM.96871$RDRe.319@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127748&group=sci.electronics.design#127748

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:52:53 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:52 UTC

I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on
Amazon are nonsense.

There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on
certs:

<https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>

but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who
do have the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of
bogus shit still manages to be up there all the time.

These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good
deal. Any other recommended reputable suppliers?

<https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<2ppHM.96872$RDRe.11725@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127749&group=sci.electronics.design#127749

Subject: Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:54:22 -0400
 by: bitrex - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:54 UTC

On 8/29/2023 12:52 PM, bitrex wrote:
> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on
> Amazon are nonsense.
>
> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on
> certs:
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>
> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who
> do have the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of
> bogus shit still manages to be up there all the time.
>
> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good
> deal. Any other recommended reputable suppliers?
>
> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>

This supposedly UL Amazon one is branded "PERFEIDY"! Can't make this
stuff up:

<https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Switching-Regulated-Recorder-Transformer/dp/B08FDBJXVS/>

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<veaseito95k0sav1muacqeu0o50h875vsi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127750&group=sci.electronics.design#127750

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:28:09 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:28 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:52:53 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on
>Amazon are nonsense.
>
>There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on
>certs:
>
><https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>
>but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who
>do have the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of
>bogus shit still manages to be up there all the time.
>
>These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good
>deal. Any other recommended reputable suppliers?
>
><https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>

Phihong amd MeanWell seem to be very good. We've used 10s of
thousands.

We use CUI and Murata surface-mount dc/dc converters and they are
great.

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<uclcji$2c0fq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127751&group=sci.electronics.design#127751

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:15:09 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 18:15 UTC

On 8/29/2023 9:52 AM, bitrex wrote:
> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on Amazon
> are nonsense.
>
> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on certs:
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>
> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who do have
> the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of bogus shit still
> manages to be up there all the time.
>
> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good deal. Any
> other recommended reputable suppliers?
>
> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>

Assuming you are looking for something for resale and want
to "buy" the UL certification (so YOU don't have to do it),
consider:
- the cost (to your brand) of a low-quality/reliability product
- the liability you may face (and problems tracking down someone
to absorb that for you)

Large OEMs can likely hold the threat of withholding future business
from a supplier to keep them in line. You (likely) have no such
leverage.

Depending on market, you can also OMIT the wall wart and let the
user provide one (possibly with recommendations from "your community
of users").

[You can also design your kit to be really tolerant of "bad choices"]

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<jpfsei5j18mfak2feb3pjrj5587jrvu87l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127752&group=sci.electronics.design#127752

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:04:31 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:04 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:15:09 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 8/29/2023 9:52 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on Amazon
>> are nonsense.
>>
>> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on certs:
>>
>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>>
>> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who do have
>> the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of bogus shit still
>> manages to be up there all the time.
>>
>> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good deal. Any
>> other recommended reputable suppliers?
>>
>> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>
>
>Assuming you are looking for something for resale and want
>to "buy" the UL certification (so YOU don't have to do it),
>consider:
>- the cost (to your brand) of a low-quality/reliability product
>- the liability you may face (and problems tracking down someone
> to absorb that for you)
>
>Large OEMs can likely hold the threat of withholding future business
>from a supplier to keep them in line. You (likely) have no such
>leverage.
>
>Depending on market, you can also OMIT the wall wart and let the
>user provide one (possibly with recommendations from "your community
>of users").
>
>[You can also design your kit to be really tolerant of "bad choices"]

We design products to accept 24 volts of either polarity without
damage, on the assumption that 48 volt warts are fairly rare.
Designing for a modest amount of repairable damage from 48 is a good
idea too.

Most of my little boxes are designed to run from +24.

The wart situation is a scandal. Things come with unmarked warts so
confusion and damage are easy. Using USB-C has problems too.

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<59d2c0bf-0bfd-4e6e-8773-233e31d83735n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127753&group=sci.electronics.design#127753

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:59:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

On Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 3:04:48 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:15:09 -0700, Don Y
> <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On 8/29/2023 9:52 AM, bitrex wrote:
> >> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on Amazon
> >> are nonsense.
> >>
> >> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on certs:
> >>
> >> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
> >>
> >> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who do have
> >> the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of bogus shit still
> >> manages to be up there all the time.
> >>
> >> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good deal. Any
> >> other recommended reputable suppliers?
> >>
> >> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>
> >
> >Assuming you are looking for something for resale and want
> >to "buy" the UL certification (so YOU don't have to do it),
> >consider:
> >- the cost (to your brand) of a low-quality/reliability product
> >- the liability you may face (and problems tracking down someone
> > to absorb that for you)
> >
> >Large OEMs can likely hold the threat of withholding future business
> >from a supplier to keep them in line. You (likely) have no such
> >leverage.
> >
> >Depending on market, you can also OMIT the wall wart and let the
> >user provide one (possibly with recommendations from "your community
> >of users").
> >
> >[You can also design your kit to be really tolerant of "bad choices"]
> We design products to accept 24 volts of either polarity without
> damage, on the assumption that 48 volt warts are fairly rare.
> Designing for a modest amount of repairable damage from 48 is a good
> idea too.
>
> Most of my little boxes are designed to run from +24.
>
> The wart situation is a scandal. Things come with unmarked warts so
> confusion and damage are easy. Using USB-C has problems too.

Such as?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<1teteitr06b9tqnomtb5tkuq7frjs6l7kf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127764&group=sci.electronics.design#127764

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 20:47:59 -0700
 by: boB - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 03:47 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:54:22 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 8/29/2023 12:52 PM, bitrex wrote:
>> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on
>> Amazon are nonsense.
>>
>> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on
>> certs:
>>
>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>>
>> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who
>> do have the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of
>> bogus shit still manages to be up there all the time.
>>
>> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good
>> deal. Any other recommended reputable suppliers?
>>
>> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>
>
>This supposedly UL Amazon one is branded "PERFEIDY"! Can't make this
>stuff up:
>
><https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Switching-Regulated-Recorder-Transformer/dp/B08FDBJXVS/>

The C UL mark on that particular wall wart looks bogus. Doesn have
the alphanumeric control number below it.

boB

Re: Amazon and UL listed AC adapters

<vGzHM.816765$AsA.633651@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=127767&group=sci.electronics.design#127767

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:35:39 -0400
 by: bitrex - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 04:35 UTC

On 8/29/2023 11:47 PM, boB wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:54:22 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/29/2023 12:52 PM, bitrex wrote:
>>> I tend to assume all claimed certs on products like AC adapter bricks on
>>> Amazon are nonsense.
>>>
>>> There's this apocryphal story that Amazon has recently cracked down on
>>> certs:
>>>
>>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Alibaba/comments/uom6r3/ul_certification_notice_for_amazon_seller_in_us/>
>>>
>>> but if so I take that to mean they put US sellers and manufacturers who
>>> do have the proper certs in hand through the wringer, while tons of
>>> bogus shit still manages to be up there all the time.
>>>
>>> These CUI 5V/1A wall warts at ~$7 in small quantity seem like a good
>>> deal. Any other recommended reputable suppliers?
>>>
>>> <https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI-Inc/SWI5-5-N-P5?qs=68fdWXBrnHIUf3sPIfNkXg%3D%3D>
>>
>> This supposedly UL Amazon one is branded "PERFEIDY"! Can't make this
>> stuff up:
>>
>> <https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Switching-Regulated-Recorder-Transformer/dp/B08FDBJXVS/>
>

> The C UL mark on that particular wall wart looks bogus. Doesn have
> the alphanumeric control number below it.
>

> boB

Fake, and not even cheap. "Perfeidy", the name you can trust..