From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: If Ukraine and Russia make peace, who keeps the Russian occupied land?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:33:03 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:33 UTC

On 13 Sep 2023 15:45:50 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 07:49:02 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
>

>> I believe that no-one was executed in the Revolutionary War.
>
>Nathan Hale, John Andre... I'm sure there were others.
>
>> Probably no-one was tortured either.
>
>Yeah, it was a kinder, gentler time.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>Prisoners_of_war_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War
>

>Nor were cities leveled by artillery.
>
>Not from lack of trying. When the British batteries opened fire with
>heated shot during the siege of Charleston they weren't too concerned with
>civilian deaths and property damage. At least they weren't flinging
>corpses with trebuchets.
>
>Between technological advances and the changes in warfare it has become
>harsher. It's difficult to establish the point where civilians became fair
>game. When Harris and Lindemann decided it was safer to bomb civilian
>housing to reduce the workforce rather than go after the heavily protected
>factories it was a step forward. Truman turned it into a fine art.

Umm. Not exactly. In the old days, a common way to pay a successful
army was to allow it to sack the conquered city. The Sack of
Magdeburg is historic, but it was common practice since ancient times.

..<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Magdeburg#:~:text=The%20sack%20of%20Magdeburg%2C%20also,deaths%20of%20around%2020%2C000%2C%20including>

Plunder commonly included treasure and slaves, especially nubile ones.

Joe Gwinn