From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Host Restriction
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:48:56 -0400
 by: legg - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 12:48 UTC

Email to my brother started bouncing.

(receiver domain name)
SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)

What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
with my email traffic?

Legit or just collecting data?

RL

Re: Host Restriction

<ue4aik$3r7ko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128849&group=sci.electronics.design#128849

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Host Restriction
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:28:50 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:28 UTC

On 16/09/2023 13:48, legg wrote:
> Email to my brother started bouncing.
>
> (receiver domain name)
> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)
>
> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
> with my email traffic?

I'll hazard a guess that your brother or his ISP use abusix to filter
emails destined for his email address. And for some reason your domain
name is either on a blacklist or has a malformed or missing SPF record.

> Legit or just collecting data?

Probably just telling you that if you want to know more about why your
email has been rejected by their mail filters you can go to that URL.

You are very lucky to *get* a bounce message these days! Most stuff that
fails SPF is dropped silently on the floor without warning. It catches
out a lot of small businesses whose ISP's have sloppy mail configs.

I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP
simply drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats
unless it really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Host Restriction

<ue4hoj$3se1r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128860&group=sci.electronics.design#128860

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:31:19 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:31 UTC

On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:
> Email to my brother started bouncing.
>
> (receiver domain name)
> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)
>
> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
> with my email traffic?

You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has been
regarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likely
been blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideas
as to how you can "fix" the situation.

The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for more
information on why you've been singled out thusly. It
can prove helpful if, for example, your machine has been
hacked and is being used to deliver spam.

> Legit or just collecting data?

Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution
(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mail
unconditionally). But, likely worth a peek.

Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.

Re: Host Restriction

<ue4htm$3se1r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128863&group=sci.electronics.design#128863

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:34:02 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

On 9/16/2023 6:28 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> You are very lucky to *get* a bounce message these days! Most stuff that fails
> SPF is dropped silently on the floor without warning. It catches out a lot of
> small businesses whose ISP's have sloppy mail configs.

NOT getting a bounce message is preferable as it leaks no information
to the potential spammer: "Hmmm, I wonder if XYZ@ABC is a legitimate
address? Let's see..."

[Similarly, phone messages saying "press X to unsubscribe" means
they were able to get their message TO your ears, even if only
by voicemail!]

> I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP simply
> drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats unless it
> really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list.

I've friends who will drop ANY incoming messages with attachments.

Re: Host Restriction

<ue4oei$3to7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128870&group=sci.electronics.design#128870

From: martin_r...@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 13:25:36 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Martin Rid - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 17:25 UTC

Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> Wrote in message:r
> On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:> Email to my brother started bouncing.> > (receiver domain name)> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)> > What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do> with my email traffic?You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has beenregarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likelybeen blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideasas to how you can "fix" the situation.The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for moreinformation on why you've been singled out thusly. Itcan prove helpful if, for example, your machine has beenhacked and is being used to deliver spam.> Legit or just collecting data?Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mailunconditionally). But, likely worth a peek.Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.

MXTools is helpful for finding which org is blocking the domain name.

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Host Restriction

<tj7egidsid4b0vrqujt0bpjjb9egvorkdn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129001&group=sci.electronics.design#129001

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:45:19 -0400
 by: legg - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:45 UTC

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:31:19 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:
>> Email to my brother started bouncing.
>>
>> (receiver domain name)
>> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
>> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
>> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)
>>
>> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
>> with my email traffic?
>
>You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has been
>regarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likely
>been blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideas
>as to how you can "fix" the situation.
>
>The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for more
>information on why you've been singled out thusly. It
>can prove helpful if, for example, your machine has been
>hacked and is being used to deliver spam.
>
>> Legit or just collecting data?
>
>Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution
>(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mail
>unconditionally). But, likely worth a peek.
>
>Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.

It's all plain text here.

I contacted my ISP 'abuse' link and copied the details.

They've been blocked and cleared and blocked again . . .

Morons or bots at both ends of the trail.

RL

Re: Host Restriction

<498egi9bm9u8il00102bg6d2obgv26hsua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129003&group=sci.electronics.design#129003

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:57:26 -0400
 by: legg - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:57 UTC

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:28:50 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 16/09/2023 13:48, legg wrote:
>> Email to my brother started bouncing.
>>
>> (receiver domain name)
>> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
>> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
>> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)
>>
>> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
>> with my email traffic?
>
>I'll hazard a guess that your brother or his ISP use abusix to filter
>emails destined for his email address. And for some reason your domain
>name is either on a blacklist or has a malformed or missing SPF record.
>>
>> Legit or just collecting data?
>
>Probably just telling you that if you want to know more about why your
>email has been rejected by their mail filters you can go to that URL.
>
>You are very lucky to *get* a bounce message these days! Most stuff that
>fails SPF is dropped silently on the floor without warning. It catches
>out a lot of small businesses whose ISP's have sloppy mail configs.
>
>I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP
>simply drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats
>unless it really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list.

Tried it with and without attachments.

They don't care who or what it is, just dropping the whole
Primus domain, it seems.

Both my brother's and my original ISPs were gobbled up
decades ago. Mine used to be just down the street. His
was publicly owned telecom . . . went to *ell.

RL

RL

Re: Host Restriction

<ue7hmg$g7t8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129011&group=sci.electronics.design#129011

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 11:48:47 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:48 UTC

On 9/17/2023 8:45 AM, legg wrote:
> I contacted my ISP 'abuse' link and copied the details.
>
> They've been blocked and cleared and blocked again . . .

Not uncommon, for some carriers. I keep multiple addresses
in different MX domains so a problem in one doesn't screw
me (it's not like bounced mails magically resend themselves
when the problem clears!)

The free services used to be frequent targets. They
apparently now do some sender-side filtering to "protect"
their reputations (if JohnDough@SomeDomain misbehaves,
it affects the value of SomeDomain)

> Morons or bots at both ends of the trail.

Sadly, both are likely true. It's an easily automated job
and one that would consume a fair bit of re$ource$. So,
let <something> do it and count on real people to bring any
problems to your attention.

Re: Host Restriction

<468145e1-e36f-42e9-970d-21fa3718dff4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129014&group=sci.electronics.design#129014

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:21:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 20:21 UTC

On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 11:45:41 AM UTC-4, legg wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:31:19 -0700, Don Y
> <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:
> >> Email to my brother started bouncing.
> >>
> >> (receiver domain name)
> >> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
> >> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
> >> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)
> >>
> >> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
> >> with my email traffic?
> >
> >You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has been
> >regarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likely
> >been blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideas
> >as to how you can "fix" the situation.
> >
> >The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for more
> >information on why you've been singled out thusly. It
> >can prove helpful if, for example, your machine has been
> >hacked and is being used to deliver spam.
> >
> >> Legit or just collecting data?
> >
> >Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution
> >(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mail
> >unconditionally). But, likely worth a peek.
> >
> >Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.
> It's all plain text here.
>
> I contacted my ISP 'abuse' link and copied the details.
>
> They've been blocked and cleared and blocked again . . .
>
> Morons or bots at both ends of the trail.

I'm guessing you are using either a small ISP company, or you have your own domain name and your emails are going through third party hosting service. Other users of the same service are sending large amounts of spam, which is causing the IP address to be flagged by the "monitors". Some email servers use these monitoring services to block potential spam. When it happens, it's a PITA, as it is hard to get off the list without being put back on very shortly.

The real culprit is your provider, because they are not using sufficient means to detect and block such spam. Often they will impose a limit on the total number of outgoing emails. But this may, or may not be sufficient to get rid of the spammers.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Host Restriction

<ue8tt2$t3e$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129044&group=sci.electronics.design#129044

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:23:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 07:23 UTC

On 2023-09-16, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote:
> Email to my brother started bouncing.
>
> (receiver domain name)
> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)

> What's Abusix.com when its at home

Commercial RBL provider so far as I can see. the details seem to be
buried under many layers of marketing crap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_blocklist

> and what has it got to do with my email traffic?

They don't like your domain name and you'r brothers mailbox privider trusts
their judgment. the info at the URL you got may explain why they don't like
your domain name.

> Legit or just collecting data?

SFAIK legit.

--