Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.

tech / rec.autos.tech / Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

SubjectAuthor
* How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IWade Garrett
|+- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IKen Olson
|`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?Vic Smith
| `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?Dan Purgert
+* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
|`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IKen Olson
| `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
+* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IWade Garrett
| `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|  +* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IWade Garrett
|  |`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|  | `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?Dan Purgert
|  `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
|   `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|    `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
|     `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|      `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
|       +* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IThe Real Bev
|       |`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
|       | `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IThe Real Bev
|       `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
|        `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like Ifos
`* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?Scott Dorsey
 `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IThe Real Bev
  `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew
   `* Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IThe Real Bev
    +- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IThe Real Bev
    `- Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like IMichael Trew

Pages:12
Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

<sprmcj$aqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1279&group=rec.autos.tech#1279

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I
often do?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:49:21 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 04:49 UTC

On 12/20/2021 03:34 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>It got me wondering...
>>Who sorts a set of 4 tires by price high to low? Or by brand?
>
> My father would sort by price. He would always buy the cheapest possible
> tires. It's a wonder he wasn't killed on the highway as a result, too.

A man after my own heart. That's what we buy, although the stock tires
on my Corolla have convinced me that softer tires are WAY more fun to
drive down mountain roads. Not as much fun as the fancy tires on my
friend's S2000, though!

> I will sort by brand, because in general once I find a tire I like, I will
> stick with that particular model of tire, or the successor to that model,
> as long as possible.
>
>>I'm 75 and have replaced my tires for decades where my current philosophy is
>>that (a) tires are tires, and (if you're replacing all four as a set), then
>>you (b) you buy that set by the spec and finally, (c), if the specs are
>>almost or exactly the same, then you decide by price (lower is better).
>
> Tires are not tires. Find a set you like, then keep buying them. Someday
> they will be discontinued and then you will have an adventure. Put that off
> as long as possible.

Especially if you buy from the Cadillac dealer. The bastard sold my mom
a set of obsolete/discontinued Bridgestones for a premium price and then
refused to replace them when the bubbles formed, sending us to the
Bridgestone dealer -- who replaced them at no charge, which is what the
damn dealer should have done. Bastard went belly-up a few years later :-)

Never had that trouble with any of the cheap tires I ever bought at Pep
Boys or America's/Discount Tire.

> Specs are nice, but two tires with the same numbers on the website may feel
> totally different on your car.

And a good alignment can make a world of difference too.

--
Cheers, Bev
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first one I'd give it to.

Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

<spvqgc$jq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1280&group=rec.autos.tech#1280

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
often do?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 13:24:16 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:24 UTC

On 12/20/2021 23:49, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/20/2021 03:34 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> Tires are not tires. Find a set you like, then keep buying them. Someday
>> they will be discontinued and then you will have an adventure. Put
>> that off
>> as long as possible.
>
> Especially if you buy from the Cadillac dealer. The bastard sold my mom
> a set of obsolete/discontinued Bridgestones for a premium price and then
> refused to replace them when the bubbles formed, sending us to the
> Bridgestone dealer -- who replaced them at no charge, which is what the
> damn dealer should have done. Bastard went belly-up a few years later :-)
>
> Never had that trouble with any of the cheap tires I ever bought at Pep
> Boys or America's/Discount Tire.
>
>> Specs are nice, but two tires with the same numbers on the website may
>> feel
>> totally different on your car.
>
> And a good alignment can make a world of difference too.

Especially if your car is very out of line. I had a set of very worn
tires on a car, and I did not align it when I put new tires on. I put
off the alignment, even though it was pulling. Long story short, I
trashed the new front tires in short of 10,000 miles, and had to buy two
new ones then got the alignment (first new tie rod ends).

Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

<sq3pb9$jlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1287&group=rec.autos.tech#1287

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
often do?
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:28:55 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 06:28 UTC

On 12/22/2021 10:24 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/20/2021 23:49, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 12/20/2021 03:34 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>>
>>> Tires are not tires. Find a set you like, then keep buying them. Someday
>>> they will be discontinued and then you will have an adventure. Put
>>> that off
>>> as long as possible.
>>
>> Especially if you buy from the Cadillac dealer. The bastard sold my mom
>> a set of obsolete/discontinued Bridgestones for a premium price and then
>> refused to replace them when the bubbles formed, sending us to the
>> Bridgestone dealer -- who replaced them at no charge, which is what the
>> damn dealer should have done. Bastard went belly-up a few years later :-)
>>
>> Never had that trouble with any of the cheap tires I ever bought at Pep
>> Boys or America's/Discount Tire.
>>
>>> Specs are nice, but two tires with the same numbers on the website may
>>> feel totally different on your car.
>>
>> And a good alignment can make a world of difference too.
>
> Especially if your car is very out of line. I had a set of very worn
> tires on a car, and I did not align it when I put new tires on. I put
> off the alignment, even though it was pulling. Long story short, I
> trashed the new front tires in short of 10,000 miles, and had to buy two
> new ones then got the alignment (first new tie rod ends).

It's a real bitch finding someone who can do a proper alignment on a
1970 Dodge pickup. The race people (now out of business) said Sure we
can do it, but they didn't. I found an old guy in a neighboring town
who did it by hand while I watched and chatted, and it was like a
miracle. I could have even used a 4-turn steering wheel instead of the
7-turn-lock-to-lock original!

--
Cheers, Bev
Polish loan sharks: they loan you money and then skip town.

Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

<sq51hb$qba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=rec.autos.tech#1288

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
often do?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:54:51 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 17:54 UTC

On 12/23/2021 10:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/22/2021 10:24 AM, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Especially if you buy from the Cadillac dealer. The bastard sold my mom
>>> a set of obsolete/discontinued Bridgestones for a premium price and then
>>> refused to replace them when the bubbles formed, sending us to the
>>> Bridgestone dealer -- who replaced them at no charge, which is what the
>>> damn dealer should have done. Bastard went belly-up a few years later :-)
>>>
>>> Never had that trouble with any of the cheap tires I ever bought at Pep
>>> Boys or America's/Discount Tire.

>>> And a good alignment can make a world of difference too.
>>
>> Especially if your car is very out of line. I had a set of very worn
>> tires on a car, and I did not align it when I put new tires on. I put
>> off the alignment, even though it was pulling. Long story short, I
>> trashed the new front tires in short of 10,000 miles, and had to buy two
>> new ones then got the alignment (first new tie rod ends).
>
> It's a real bitch finding someone who can do a proper alignment on a
> 1970 Dodge pickup. The race people (now out of business) said Sure we
> can do it, but they didn't. I found an old guy in a neighboring town
> who did it by hand while I watched and chatted, and it was like a
> miracle. I could have even used a 4-turn steering wheel instead of the
> 7-turn-lock-to-lock original!

My hubby reminds me that it is NOT the wheel itself that determines the
number of lock-to-lock turns. I counseled him soundly about the head
and shoulders.

I knew I was unclear, I was just too lazy to go back and fix it and I
KNEW that everyone would know what I meant. Carry on.

--
Cheers, Bev
"On the other hand, I live in California so I'd be willing to

Re: How do YOU choose your tires when you buy them online like I often do?

<sq636t$erb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1291&group=rec.autos.tech#1291

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
often do?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:29:39 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:29 UTC

On 12/24/2021 1:28, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/22/2021 10:24 AM, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Especially if you buy from the Cadillac dealer. The bastard sold my mom
>>> a set of obsolete/discontinued Bridgestones for a premium price and then
>>> refused to replace them when the bubbles formed, sending us to the
>>> Bridgestone dealer -- who replaced them at no charge, which is what the
>>> damn dealer should have done. Bastard went belly-up a few years later
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Never had that trouble with any of the cheap tires I ever bought at Pep
>>> Boys or America's/Discount Tire.

>>> And a good alignment can make a world of difference too.
>>
>> Especially if your car is very out of line. I had a set of very worn
>> tires on a car, and I did not align it when I put new tires on. I put
>> off the alignment, even though it was pulling. Long story short, I
>> trashed the new front tires in short of 10,000 miles, and had to buy two
>> new ones then got the alignment (first new tie rod ends).
>
> It's a real bitch finding someone who can do a proper alignment on a
> 1970 Dodge pickup. The race people (now out of business) said Sure we
> can do it, but they didn't. I found an old guy in a neighboring town who
> did it by hand while I watched and chatted, and it was like a miracle. I
> could have even used a 4-turn steering wheel instead of the
> 7-turn-lock-to-lock original!

No shop wanted to align my "old" 1983 F-150 either. I finally found one
that was willing to do it, but only one part of the alignment... either
toe or camber they could not do, I don't remember which. Oh well, they
only charged me $20 because of that, and the truck did drive a little
bit more straight after that. Probably needed new front end parts.