Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

tech / rec.autos.tech / Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

SubjectAuthor
* Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Michael Trew
+- Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??AMuzi
`* Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Scott Dorsey
 `* Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Michael Trew
  `* Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Scott Dorsey
   `* Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Michael Trew
    `* Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Xeno
     `- Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??Michael Trew

1
Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq355n$uk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1281&group=rec.autos.tech#1281

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:44:42 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 00:44 UTC

I can't process how this is happening. I have an old car battery in one
of my cars. It is worn out enough that it died on the first freeze that
we had, sitting 2-3 days without starting. Said battery has also been
leaking a bit of acid from around the terminals, and they are corroded.

So, lately, the alternator belt has been squealing if I slow to an idle
(1993 Geo Metro), and the airbag light randomly flashes. The alternator
belt is not worn and is torqued properly. I've noticed other electrical
oddities such as the gas gauge going up and down (at almost the same
rate as the throttle/RPM increase/decrease).

Finally, I pulled it this evening and threw another tested good (checked
12.7 v) battery in the car. I am about to go drive to my evening shift
at work. I decided to test the old battery with the same voltage
tester, and it tested at 27 V!! I can't find any info on a web search
about this issue.

I checked it twice, and even put it on a charger for a minute to see if
that would make a difference. The cheap HF trickle charger showed
"fully charged"... then it tested at 27.2 V after unplugging it.
Hopefully it hasn't damaged the ECM in the car, or something.

Does anyone know how the voltage of a 12 V car battery can double or
more, just with regular usage? Possibly the cells in the battery
shorting, or something? I thought that shorted cells decreased the
voltage, not increased it. What an odd issue; thanks for the insight.

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq36s7$71q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1282&group=rec.autos.tech#1282

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:13:42 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 01:13 UTC

On 12/23/2021 6:44 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I can't process how this is happening. I have an old car
> battery in one of my cars. It is worn out enough that it
> died on the first freeze that we had, sitting 2-3 days
> without starting. Said battery has also been leaking a bit
> of acid from around the terminals, and they are corroded.
>
> So, lately, the alternator belt has been squealing if I slow
> to an idle (1993 Geo Metro), and the airbag light randomly
> flashes. The alternator belt is not worn and is torqued
> properly. I've noticed other electrical oddities such as
> the gas gauge going up and down (at almost the same rate as
> the throttle/RPM increase/decrease).
>
> Finally, I pulled it this evening and threw another tested
> good (checked 12.7 v) battery in the car. I am about to go
> drive to my evening shift at work. I decided to test the
> old battery with the same voltage tester, and it tested at
> 27 V!! I can't find any info on a web search about this issue.
>
> I checked it twice, and even put it on a charger for a
> minute to see if that would make a difference. The cheap HF
> trickle charger showed "fully charged"... then it tested at
> 27.2 V after unplugging it. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the
> ECM in the car, or something.
>
> Does anyone know how the voltage of a 12 V car battery can
> double or more, just with regular usage? Possibly the cells
> in the battery shorting, or something? I thought that
> shorted cells decreased the voltage, not increased it. What
> an odd issue; thanks for the insight.

Possible voltage regulator problem. Other issues:
https://gear4wheels.com/why-is-your-car-battery-voltage-too-high/

Another interesting link:
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/45283/is-15v-too-high-for-a-standard-car-battery

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq3a12$hbf$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1283&group=rec.autos.tech#1283

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 24 Dec 2021 02:07:30 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:07 UTC

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>Finally, I pulled it this evening and threw another tested good (checked
>12.7 v) battery in the car. I am about to go drive to my evening shift
>at work. I decided to test the old battery with the same voltage
>tester, and it tested at 27 V!! I can't find any info on a web search
>about this issue.

Was it a Fluke?

What did it test as with a small load?
--scott

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq3ljb$5ph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1284&group=rec.autos.tech#1284

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 00:25:03 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 05:25 UTC

On 12/23/2021 21:07, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Finally, I pulled it this evening and threw another tested good (checked
>> 12.7 v) battery in the car. I am about to go drive to my evening shift
>> at work. I decided to test the old battery with the same voltage
>> tester, and it tested at 27 V!! I can't find any info on a web search
>> about this issue.
>
> Was it a Fluke?
>
> What did it test as with a small load?
> --scott

I jumped the gun. The voltage meter was on the wrong setting. I didn't
think that the meter was on the wrong setting, because the newer battery
that I pulled out of another car happened to test at exactly 12.7 V on
that same wrong setting. What a coincidence.

I pulled the new battery from a car that slid down my back dirt alley 2
weeks ago. I haven't bothered to pull the car out yet... my come-along
isn't enough to pull it out.

Anyway, that car that slid down, the dirt hillside was in contact with
the rocker panel firmly, and I guess that TOTALLY drained that battery.
On the correct setting, the new battery just tested at 2.some volts...
yikes.

I have the new battery on a little 1 amp charger now, maybe it will come
around by tomorrow. I was very confused after my first post, when the
car would not start at all. Yep, I guess 2 volts will do that.

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq5a9h$h5$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=rec.autos.tech#1289

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: 24 Dec 2021 20:24:17 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:24 UTC

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>On 12/23/2021 21:07, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Finally, I pulled it this evening and threw another tested good (checked
>>> 12.7 v) battery in the car. I am about to go drive to my evening shift
>>> at work. I decided to test the old battery with the same voltage
>>> tester, and it tested at 27 V!! I can't find any info on a web search
>>> about this issue.
>>
>> Was it a Fluke?
>>
>> What did it test as with a small load?
>

>I jumped the gun. The voltage meter was on the wrong setting. I didn't
>think that the meter was on the wrong setting, because the newer battery
>that I pulled out of another car happened to test at exactly 12.7 V on
>that same wrong setting. What a coincidence.

Because you had it on the AC setting and it wasn't a Fluke?
--scott

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq62v5$dif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=rec.autos.tech#1290

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:25:31 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:25 UTC

On 12/24/2021 15:24, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>>> Was it a Fluke?
>>>
>>> What did it test as with a small load?
>>

>> I jumped the gun. The voltage meter was on the wrong setting. I didn't
>> think that the meter was on the wrong setting, because the newer battery
>> that I pulled out of another car happened to test at exactly 12.7 V on
>> that same wrong setting. What a coincidence.
>
> Because you had it on the AC setting and it wasn't a Fluke?
> --scott

Yes. I believe it was set to "200" A/C instead of "20" D/C.

Surprisingly, I was able to use a huge old heavy duty battery charger to
bring the 2.4 volt battery (the new one) back to life. Hopefully I
didn't damage it too much by letting it drain down that far.

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<j2nhniFiig6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1292&group=rec.autos.tech#1292

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:33:06 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:33 UTC

On 25/12/21 2:25 pm, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/24/2021 15:24, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net>  wrote:

>>> I jumped the gun.  The voltage meter was on the wrong setting.  I didn't
>>> think that the meter was on the wrong setting, because the newer battery
>>> that I pulled out of another car happened to test at exactly 12.7 V on
>>> that same wrong setting.  What a coincidence.
>>
>> Because you had it on the AC setting and it wasn't a Fluke?
>> --scott
>
> Yes.  I believe it was set to "200" A/C instead of "20" D/C.
>
> Surprisingly, I was able to use a huge old heavy duty battery charger to
> bring the 2.4 volt battery (the new one) back to life.  Hopefully I
> didn't damage it too much by letting it drain down that far.

Slow charge it.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Car battery testing over double 12 volts??

<sq80b6$4d5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1293&group=rec.autos.tech#1293

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:53:02 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:53 UTC

On 12/24/2021 22:33, Xeno wrote:
> On 25/12/21 2:25 pm, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Because you had it on the AC setting and it wasn't a Fluke?
>>> --scott
>>
>> Yes. I believe it was set to "200" A/C instead of "20" D/C.
>>
>> Surprisingly, I was able to use a huge old heavy duty battery charger
>> to bring the 2.4 volt battery (the new one) back to life. Hopefully I
>> didn't damage it too much by letting it drain down that far.
>
> Slow charge it.

I had it on a 1 amp trickle charger all night, it didn't do a thing
after 12 hours. I put it on full-blast on my old Silver Beauty charger,
10 minutes cranked the car over, and drove around town. Hopefully that
didn't damage it too much.