Have you reconsidered a computer career?

tech / sci.physics.relativity / FTL signals

SubjectAuthor
* FTL signalsgharnagel
`* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
 `* Re: FTL signalsgharnagel
  `* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
   +* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
   |`* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
   | `- Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
   `* Re: FTL signalsgharnagel
    `* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
     `* Re: FTL signalsgharnagel
      `* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
       `* Re: FTL signalsgharnagel
        `* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
         `* Re: FTL signalsgharnagel
          `* Re: FTL signalsRoss Finlayson
           `- Re: FTL signalsgharnagel

1
FTL signals

<ba3e1a3b827f61817197386e210f1006@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129393&group=sci.physics.relativity#129393

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:35:21 +0000
Subject: FTL signals
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
 by: gharnagel - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:35 UTC

As Volney and I averred in a thread, "frame-jumping" is often the cause
of errors in false claims about relativity. It's also been responsible
for misstatements about FTL phenomena even by physicists well-versed in
relativistic problems. Take, for example, the simple situation:

C --> v _____ u' <---- D --> v
A _____________________ B

tA = tB = tC' = 0, xA = 0, xB = L.

Figure 1.

From relativity, we know that tD' = gamma(t - vL/c^2) = - vL/c^2 for the
above figure.

At the above times, D sends a signal back to C at velocity u' = -w'.
A and B observe the velocity of this signal as

u = (u' + v)/(1 + u'v/c^2) = (-w' + v)/(1 - w'v/c^2).

If w' = c, then u = (-c + v)/(1 - vc/c^2) = -c, and since v is always
less than c, this works when w < c, too. It even works for w < -c, let
w = -10c:

u = (10c + v)/(1 + 10v/c) = (10 + v/c)/(1 + v/c) > c

But it does not work for w/c >= c/v because the denominator causes u
to approach infinity at w = c^2/v. Getting an infinite result means
something is wrong: Either the physics is impossible or the physics is
beyond the equation's domain of applicability.

Nevertheless, many have pressed forward into the unknown and ignored
the "immense" warning sign. This leads to crazy results, such as a signal
being received before it's sent. Others have thrown up their hands and
succumbed to the belief that it's impossible. Some have even denied and
denigrated the right of others to investigate the domain, which isn't a
very dynamic plan.

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
little way past them into the impossible." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Anyway, back to Figure 1, which is situated in the frame where A and B are
stationary. The time at C is tC' = 0 and the time at D is tD' = -vL/c^2.
According to A and B, D can send the signal to C no faster than

w = (0 - L)/(0 + vL/c^2) = -c^2/v

The Throw-Up-Their-Hands crowd would point out that an observer cannot limit
what someone in a different frame can do. Clearly, if B has some technology
for sending FTL signals, as does D, then nothing prevents B from sending such
a signal, maybe even infinitely fast, to A, so D should not be constrained,
either.

Are we frame-jumping by saying D can send an infinitely-fast signal, too?
The reason why A and B say that D cannot send a signal to C faster than c^2/v
is because of the relativity of simultaneity RoS), which is a basic conse-
quence of special relativity. Does conceding D's ability to send signals
faster than c^2/v violate RoS? Of course, the TUTH crowd will just deny,
denigrate or claim c is the limit, or do the limits of the possible extend
further?

Re: FTL signals

<d866f8c4-17cd-4032-8374-a2e14689cc50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129398&group=sci.physics.relativity#129398

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: FTL signals
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 18:45 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 8:36:20 AM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> As Volney and I averred in a thread, "frame-jumping" is often the cause
> of errors in false claims about relativity. It's also been responsible
> for misstatements about FTL phenomena even by physicists well-versed in
> relativistic problems. Take, for example, the simple situation:
>
> C --> v _____ u' <---- D --> v
> A _____________________ B
>
> tA = tB = tC' = 0, xA = 0, xB = L.
>
> Figure 1.
>
> From relativity, we know that tD' = gamma(t - vL/c^2) = - vL/c^2 for the
> above figure.
>
> At the above times, D sends a signal back to C at velocity u' = -w'.
> A and B observe the velocity of this signal as
>
> u = (u' + v)/(1 + u'v/c^2) = (-w' + v)/(1 - w'v/c^2).
>
> If w' = c, then u = (-c + v)/(1 - vc/c^2) = -c, and since v is always
> less than c, this works when w < c, too. It even works for w < -c, let
> w = -10c:
>
> u = (10c + v)/(1 + 10v/c) = (10 + v/c)/(1 + v/c) > c
>
> But it does not work for w/c >= c/v because the denominator causes u
> to approach infinity at w = c^2/v. Getting an infinite result means
> something is wrong: Either the physics is impossible or the physics is
> beyond the equation's domain of applicability.
>
> Nevertheless, many have pressed forward into the unknown and ignored
> the "immense" warning sign. This leads to crazy results, such as a signal
> being received before it's sent. Others have thrown up their hands and
> succumbed to the belief that it's impossible. Some have even denied and
> denigrated the right of others to investigate the domain, which isn't a
> very dynamic plan.
>
> "The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
> little way past them into the impossible." -- Arthur C. Clarke
>
> Anyway, back to Figure 1, which is situated in the frame where A and B are
> stationary. The time at C is tC' = 0 and the time at D is tD' = -vL/c^2.
> According to A and B, D can send the signal to C no faster than
>
> w = (0 - L)/(0 + vL/c^2) = -c^2/v
>
> The Throw-Up-Their-Hands crowd would point out that an observer cannot limit
> what someone in a different frame can do. Clearly, if B has some technology
> for sending FTL signals, as does D, then nothing prevents B from sending such
> a signal, maybe even infinitely fast, to A, so D should not be constrained,
> either.
>
> Are we frame-jumping by saying D can send an infinitely-fast signal, too?
> The reason why A and B say that D cannot send a signal to C faster than c^2/v
> is because of the relativity of simultaneity RoS), which is a basic conse-
> quence of special relativity. Does conceding D's ability to send signals
> faster than c^2/v violate RoS? Of course, the TUTH crowd will just deny,
> denigrate or claim c is the limit, or do the limits of the possible extend
> further?

Seems you need better mathematics of infinity.

Also you should probably be aware of "Einstein's bridge" and
"Einstein's second mass/energy equation that's not mc^2",
about singularities and central symmetries ("without infinities,
but, well, you know, with") and "flowing not jumping".

Mathematics OWES physics, more and better physics of infinities,
particularly continuous domains about the conceit of particles,
really.

Re: FTL signals

<7e50cec636963b1401c12d8484283171@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129400&group=sci.physics.relativity#129400

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:52:44 +0000
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
 by: gharnagel - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 19:52 UTC

> > Are we frame-jumping by saying D can send an infinitely-fast signal, too?
> > The reason why A and B say that D cannot send a signal to C faster than c^2/v
> > is because of the relativity of simultaneity RoS), which is a basic conse-
> > quence of special relativity. Does conceding D's ability to send signals
> > faster than c^2/v violate RoS? Of course, the TUTH crowd will just deny,
> > denigrate or claim c is the limit, or do the limits of the possible extend
> > further?
>
> Ross wrote:
>
> Seems you need better mathematics of infinity.

No problem. QFT had problems, and they were resolved. Have you studied
conformal mapping and complex variables?

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConformalMapping.html

There are ways to get around these problems in relativity, too. See
DOI: 10.13189/ujpa.2023.170101

> Also you should probably be aware of "Einstein's bridge"

Do you mean the novel by John Cramer?

> and "Einstein's second mass/energy equation that's not mc^2",
> about singularities and central symmetries ("without infinities,
> but, well, you know, with") and "flowing not jumping".

Are you referring to the stress-energy tensor?

> Mathematics OWES physics, more and better physics of infinities,
> particularly continuous domains about the conceit of particles,
> really.

I didn't know particles were conceted. Sounds like a lot of buzz
words to me.

Re: FTL signals

<39e8dc3a-9f65-4952-b3e6-c655b582c0e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129414&group=sci.physics.relativity#129414

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 17:20:05 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:20 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 11:56:14 AM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> > > Are we frame-jumping by saying D can send an infinitely-fast signal, too?
> > > The reason why A and B say that D cannot send a signal to C faster than c^2/v
> > > is because of the relativity of simultaneity RoS), which is a basic conse-
> > > quence of special relativity. Does conceding D's ability to send signals
> > > faster than c^2/v violate RoS? Of course, the TUTH crowd will just deny,
> > > denigrate or claim c is the limit, or do the limits of the possible extend
> > > further?
> >
> > Ross wrote:
> >
> > Seems you need better mathematics of infinity.
> No problem. QFT had problems, and they were resolved. Have you studied
> conformal mapping and complex variables?
>
> https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConformalMapping.html
>
> There are ways to get around these problems in relativity, too. See
> DOI: 10.13189/ujpa.2023.170101
> > Also you should probably be aware of "Einstein's bridge"
> Do you mean the novel by John Cramer?
> > and "Einstein's second mass/energy equation that's not mc^2",
> > about singularities and central symmetries ("without infinities,
> > but, well, you know, with") and "flowing not jumping".
> Are you referring to the stress-energy tensor?
> > Mathematics OWES physics, more and better physics of infinities,
> > particularly continuous domains about the conceit of particles,
> > really.
> I didn't know particles were conceted. Sounds like a lot of buzz
> words to me.

Hi Gary, thanks for your reply.

Conformal mapping is about most representational as configuration space
to configuration space, about the manifold, and continuous mappings, vis-a-vis
twists and torsions, as we might read about in, "Rindler".

The Gaussian analysis or "complex", well, you can take it or leave it, vis-a-vis,
Euler's identity and analyticity, vis-a-vis, the great success of geometric algebras
after Elie Cartan reflections and rotations, what make for that otherwise the
properties of an algebraization about roots of unity, implement reflections and rotations,
separating the Gaussian analysis from "Cartanian", quite altogether. So, mathematics
can be quite "Cartanian", without being altogether, "Gaussian".

"Einstein's bridge" is his notion of combining the linear and rotational moment.
It's a fundamental concept that students of Einstein should know.

Einstein's "second mass/energy equation" can be found in "Out of My Later Years"
in the last chapter on science, in it.

It's all the buzz words, reduced to reflections on canon and modern-day apologetics,
part of foundations, contra "converting wall-papering to grant-writing to wall-papering".

A conceit, just means an abstract concesssion, not your high-falutin conceitedness,
which is a malapropism, in common jargon.

Of course, it might help if you know that NIST CODATA provides the most current
measurements of fundamental particles their known quantities, and especially,
that, every few years the small ones get smaller and the big ones bigger.

It's called "running constants", and about a "theory of sum potentials", which you
can wonder about as pondering the "path integral".

Of course it helps that mathematics has three complementary definitions of continuity,
line-reals for Jordan measure, field-reals for usual delta-epsilonics, and signal-reals for
Dirichlet and otherwise these things together and as one.

About forces and couplings and various tensors that really only exist as a conceit of
sorts to the spaces of their tensorial products where they preserve properties for example
as of conformal mappings, no I'm talking about Einstein's model of space-contraction.

Here's some podcasts I read Einstein's "Out of My Later Years" and try to make
a sincere, generous, insightful reading.

https://www.youtube.com/@rossfinlayson

Otherwise if you're interested you'd have to read my 10,000's posts to sic.math.

"Dear Professor of Philosophy in Physics, I'm writing you today to show you
what a confirmed opinion in physics looks like."

information wants to be free, but light speed is the usual static propagation

Re: FTL signals

<093a3104-62e0-4705-abed-a0175f768b73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129417&group=sci.physics.relativity#129417

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 20:17:14 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 04:17 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 7:37:36 PM UTC-8, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
> > Dirichlet and otherwise these things together and as one.
> >
> > About forces and couplings and various tensors that really only exist as a conceit of
> > sorts to the spaces of their tensorial products where they preserve properties for example
> > as of conformal mappings, no I'm talking about Einstein's model of space-contraction.
> >
> > Here's some podcasts I read Einstein's "Out of My Later Years" and try to make
> > a sincere, generous, insightful reading.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/@rossfinlayson
> >
> > Otherwise if you're interested you'd have to read my 10,000's posts to sic.math.
> >
> > "Dear Professor of Philosophy in Physics, I'm writing you today to show you
> > what a confirmed opinion in physics looks like."

> > information wants to be free, but light speed is the usual static propagation
> There is the universal speed limit contained in Gamma and E=mc Squared.

There are many books about a concept that is not called Zen.

Hoover's Zen Experience says the most famous story is from
the platform sutra of Hui-Neng. At a Buddhist monastery,
two priests ponder a banner or flag what waves, in the breeze.

The first says, "the flag is waving in the wind."
The second says, "the wind is waving the flag."

A third says, "It is your mind that moves."

The most usual and complete logical and scientific theory
over time is called strong mathematical Platonism, which
I learned about studying continuity.

Learning is kind of like swimming,
it's at your own risk,
and a vital skill in a world that's not always illiquid.

.... and a very healthy exercise.

Re: FTL signals

<dc5f5135714f8c863f29b0b72e3eb859@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129431&group=sci.physics.relativity#129431

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:26:00 +0000
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
 by: gharnagel - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 12:26 UTC

Ross Finlayson wrote - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 11:45

Ross wrote:

> Hi Gary, thanks for your reply.
>
> "Einstein's bridge" is his notion of combining the linear and
> rotational moment. It's a fundamental concept that students of
> Einstein should know.

It is usually called an Einstein-Rosen bridge, or an Einstein-Rosen-
Podolski bridge, or simply a wormhole. The only place I know of
where it's called "Einstein's bridge" is in the novel by Cramer.
John Cramer is a particle physicist who wrote two scifi novels.

> > > and "Einstein's second mass/energy equation that's not mc^2",
> > > about singularities and central symmetries ("without infinities,
> > > but, well, you know, with") and "flowing not jumping".
> >
> > Are you referring to the stress-energy tensor?
>
> Einstein's "second mass/energy equation" can be found in "Out of My
> Later Years" in the last chapter on science, in it.
>
> It's all the buzz words, reduced to reflections on canon and modern-
> day apologetics, part of foundations, contra "converting wall-papering
> to grant-writing to wall-papering".

Doesn't sound very interesting to me.

> Conformal mapping is about most representational as configuration
> space to configuration space, about the manifold, and continuous
> mappings, vis-a-vis twists and torsions, as we might read about in,
> "Rindler".

Sorry, but you're missing the point I was trying to make: The complex
variables concept has what are called "poles" -- regions that go to
infinity at particular points in the complex plane -- which cause
problems in analysis. The point is, mathematicians get "around" them
(pun intended).

> > > Mathematics OWES physics, more and better physics of infinities,
> > > particularly continuous domains about the conceit of particles,
> > > really.
> >
> > I didn't know particles were conce[i]ted. Sounds like a lot of buzz
> > words to me.
>
> A conceit, just means an abstract concesssion, not your high-falutin
> conceitedness,

You finally said something I didn't know. Did you mean definition 2:

"a fanciful expression in writing or speech; an elaborate metaphor:
'the idea of the wind's singing is a prime romantic conceit'"

If so, I just go by what is measured (except in this thread which is talking
about the existence of FTL particles in the context of special relativity
and mass measurements of neutrinos.

> Of course, it might help if you know that NIST CODATA provides the most current
> measurements of fundamental particles their known quantities, and especially,
> that, every few years the small ones get smaller and the big ones bigger.
>
> It's called "running constants", and about a "theory of sum potentials", which you
> can wonder about as pondering the "path integral".

I'm more interested in the data that precedes that: the actual papers by those
doing the experiments. And this thread began in the context of special relativity,
and GR complicates the discussion way too much

Re: FTL signals

<f0539fa1-9168-48c0-9738-c94cbe9de9can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129447&group=sci.physics.relativity#129447

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:51:43 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:51 UTC

On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 4:26:51 AM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> [...]
> 'the idea of the wind's singing is a prime romantic conceit'"
>
> If so, I just go by what is measured (except in this thread which is talking
> about the existence of FTL particles in the context of special relativity
> and mass measurements of neutrinos.
> > Of course, it might help if you know that NIST CODATA provides the most current
> > measurements of fundamental particles their known quantities, and especially,
> > that, every few years the small ones get smaller and the big ones bigger.
> >
> > It's called "running constants", and about a "theory of sum potentials", which you
> > can wonder about as pondering the "path integral".
> I'm more interested in the data that precedes that: the actual papers by those
> doing the experiments. And this thread began in the context of special relativity,
> and GR complicates the discussion way too much

That sort of "free analysis" is often referred to as the meromorphic,
includes the symplectic, and about singularity theory, which is multiplicity
theory, a branch thereof. If you notice the derivation of complex arithmetic,
that it can be separated LHS/RHS or about the commutative, it's, sort of a thing.

Einstein's bridge is what he calls it, considering Einstein's "Out of My Later Years"
as his last and best word on the matter. (Relativity, theories of.)

Everybody has their own interests, I think that people not familiar with
"Out of My Later Years" don't know Einstein, and without at least three
definitions of continuous domains, don't know mathematics.

Or at least the formalist foundations for analysis, generally.

It's a continuum mechanics, ....

Yeah I've been reading d'Espagnat now and it's getting interesting.

The SI units these days are actually sort of tailored to keep SR simple.

Einstein sort of distances himself from it, too. Don't worry, he still keeps it,
just, at its distance.

Re: FTL signals

<589efe81b7856ba889f71f16592dcea1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129449&group=sci.physics.relativity#129449

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 03:17:45 +0000
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
 by: gharnagel - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 03:17 UTC

Ross wrote:

> Everybody has their own interests, I think that people not familiar with
> "Out of My Later Years" don't know Einstein,

I watched Walter Isaacson's series. Maybe correct, but not too complinentary.

> and without at least three definitions of continuous domains, don't know
> mathematics.

Mathematics is just about how to count.

> Or at least the formalist foundations for analysis, generally.

Analysis is just counting correctly.

It's a continuum mechanics, ....

Which isn't the way the world is. Field theory is probably wrong, but it
works because the countable things are too small to matter very much.

> The SI units these days are actually sort of tailored to keep SR simple.

The SI units preceded relativity. They were designed to make engineering
simple.

All this is just prattling.

Re: FTL signals

<277c1401-a0b8-4497-8e04-ce92c5f9d657n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129454&group=sci.physics.relativity#129454

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:21:10 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 04:21 UTC

On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 7:21:16 PM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> Ross wrote:
> >
> > Everybody has their own interests, I think that people not familiar with
> > "Out of My Later Years" don't know Einstein,
> I watched Walter Isaacson's series. Maybe correct, but not too complinentary.
> > and without at least three definitions of continuous domains, don't know
> > mathematics.
> Mathematics is just about how to count.
> > Or at least the formalist foundations for analysis, generally.
> Analysis is just counting correctly.
> It's a continuum mechanics, ....
> Which isn't the way the world is. Field theory is probably wrong, but it
> works because the countable things are too small to matter very much.
> > The SI units these days are actually sort of tailored to keep SR simple..
> The SI units preceded relativity. They were designed to make engineering
> simple.
>
> All this is just prattling.

Now maybe if the robot arm had to put in fifty cents for each game simulated, ....

Actually "counting" and "numbering" are two distinct, fundamental notions,
with respect to numbers, with respect to integers, and magnitudes, and differences.

The SI units particularly of 2019 actually quite altogether slanted themselves out,
of various still practical empirical systems related muchly to the many lettered fields
of electromagnetism, all one field, that are most useful in remote sensing, and the
design of electronics.

If you think that "continuity isn't how the world works", I imagine you're one of
those coat-tailing wall-paperists quite happy not having causality dictate determinism.

Einstein though, he is not.

"Out of My Later Years" has two parts, a personal beginning, a personal end,
and science in the middle.

What you do is read it for the articles.

Yeah if you're having problems with foundations of physics, then,
you might want to fix your problems in foundations of mathematics.

Ultraviolet catastrophe? Infrared catastrophe.

About FTL now, the superluminal is widely observed in the sky survey.

You know what isn't, though? Dark matter.

Yeah, if you look into neutrino physics, there's a lot going on,
and supersymmetry isn't dead, again.

You know what else is used to keep engineering simple? Shut up and compute..
Then double it.

Now, though I've exploited that it's kind of easy to make some humor at
the expense of someone just like you, please still consider that I consider
it some kind of warm advice and that if you read my 10,000's posts and
watch my 100 hours, that you would be better informed both of the standard,
and, the superclassical.

Also you can read more my opinion in "Open Letter ..." to me, here.

Notice I mostly get the last word in, "sci.physics.relativity",
and that even practicing physicists warily observe it
being without contradiction.

Of course, only theoretical physicists have opinions,
experimental ones just have instructions.

Warm regards

Re: FTL signals

<fa5113c8-c180-474b-9fe7-54ab2012d044n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129455&group=sci.physics.relativity#129455

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:25:08 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 04:25 UTC

Geometry is motion

Re: FTL signals

<b9e6469bfcf891ef99b052cc3f36eecb@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129472&group=sci.physics.relativity#129472

From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 22:26:42 +0000
References: <ba3e1a3b827f61817197386e210f1006@news.novabbs.com> <d866f8c4-17cd-4032-8374-a2e14689cc50n@googlegroups.com> <7e50cec636963b1401c12d8484283171@news.novabbs.com> <39e8dc3a-9f65-4952-b3e6-c655b582c0e8n@googlegroups.com> <dc5f5135714f8c863f29b0b72e3eb859@news.novabbs.com> <f0539fa1-9168-48c0-9738-c94cbe9de9can@googlegroups.com> <589efe81b7856ba889f71f16592dcea1@news.novabbs.com> <277c1401-a0b8-4497-8e04-ce92c5f9d657n@googlegroups.com>
 by: gharnagel - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 22:26 UTC

On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 9:21:12 PM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 7:21:16 PM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> >
> > Ross wrote:
> > >
> > > Everybody has their own interests, I think that people not familiar with
> > > "Out of My Later Years" don't know Einstein,
> >
> > I watched Walter Isaacson's series. Maybe correct, but not too complimentary.
> >
> > > and without at least three definitions of continuous domains, don't know
> > > mathematics.
> >
> > Mathematics is just about how to count.
> >
> > > Or at least the formalist foundations for analysis, generally.
> >
> > Analysis is just counting correctly.
>
> It's a continuum mechanics, ....
>
> > Which isn't the way the world is. Field theory is probably wrong, but it
> > works because the countable things are too small to matter very much.
>
> > > The SI units these days are actually sort of tailored to keep SR simple.
> >
> > The SI units preceded relativity. They were designed to make engineering
> > simple.
> >
> > All this is just prattling.
>
> Now maybe if the robot arm had to put in fifty cents for each game simulated, ....
>
> Actually "counting" and "numbering" are two distinct, fundamental notions,
> with respect to numbers, with respect to integers, and magnitudes, and
> differences.

THIS is why you think you get the last word. I never said anything about
"numbering" or robot arms, either. You drifted off in some random directions.

> The SI units particularly of 2019 actually quite altogether slanted themselves
> out, of various still practical empirical systems related muchly to the many
> lettered fields of electromagnetism, all one field, that are most useful in
> remote sensing, and the design of electronics.

That's strange. In getting my degree in electronic engineering, we used SI units
almost exclusively. You're drifting again.

> If you think that "continuity isn't how the world works", I imagine you're
> one of those coat-tailing wall-paperists quite happy not having causality
> dictate determinism.

I don't see any connection between continuity and causality, except they both
starts with c. Ooh, and that means the speed of light, so c also means that
the world is not granular, and that starts with g, which means general relativity,
which is a continuous theory. So the speed of light means quantum theory is
wrong because it posits the world has little indivisible things, but QFT fields
are continuous, but ... and around the circle we go.

> Einstein though, he is not.
>
> "Out of My Later Years" has two parts, a personal beginning, a personal end,
> and science in the middle.
>
> What you do is read it for the articles.

I'll pass, thank you.

> Yeah if you're having problems with foundations of physics, then,
> you might want to fix your problems in foundations of mathematics.
>
> Ultraviolet catastrophe?

The problem was the wrong mathematics was applied to the real physics.

> Infrared catastrophe.

???

> About FTL now, the superluminal is widely observed in the sky survey.

Attribution without any detail, which would render the attribution void.

> You know what isn't, though? Dark matter.
>
> Yeah, if you look into neutrino physics, there's a lot going on,
> and supersymmetry isn't dead, again.

I'm not so sure about SS. Maybe yes but probably no.

> You know what else is used to keep engineering simple? Shut up and
> compute.

Actually, that's what Mermin said about quantum mechanics. Engineers
are supposed to be smart enough to know when their calculations become
unphysical.

> Then double it.

Shut up twice? It's always a good idea to calculate twice.

> Now, though I've exploited that it's kind of easy to make some humor at
> the expense of someone just like you, please still consider that I consider
> it some kind of warm advice and that if you read my 10,000's posts and
> watch my 100 hours, that you would be better informed both of the standard,
> and, the superclassical.

I'll pass, thank you.

> Also you can read more my opinion in "Open Letter ..." to me, here.
>
> Notice I mostly get the last word in, "sci.physics.relativity",
> and that even practicing physicists warily observe it
> being without contradiction.

As I said above, it's because you drift all over the place. Do you
have trouble staying focused?

> Of course, only theoretical physicists have opinions,

Dead wrong, Ross. Only a few here are theoretical physicist, but
thear are many, many opinions :-))
> experimental ones just have instructions.

Having been mostly in the experimental world, that's only partly true.
I've seen coworkers who think that A or B ought to be explored but were
told thou shalt not do A or B, thou shalt do C. And I've seen cases
where the engineer was given his head (well, some were handed their head,
too).

> Warm regards

Is this the time that I say sayonara and let you have the last word? :-))

Re: FTL signals

<8edd1356-f3ef-480a-8747-e2f89e826dfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129475&group=sci.physics.relativity#129475

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:34:21 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 00:34 UTC

On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 2:31:00 PM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> [...]
> > and that even practicing physicists warily observe it
> > being without contradiction.
> As I said above, it's because you drift all over the place. Do you
> have trouble staying focused?
> > Of course, only theoretical physicists have opinions,
> Dead wrong, Ross. Only a few here are theoretical physicist, but
> thear are many, many opinions :-))
> > experimental ones just have instructions.
> Having been mostly in the experimental world, that's only partly true.
> I've seen coworkers who think that A or B ought to be explored but were
> told thou shalt not do A or B, thou shalt do C. And I've seen cases
> where the engineer was given his head (well, some were handed their head,
> too).
>
> > Warm regards
>
> Is this the time that I say sayonara and let you have the last word? :-))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

I guess it kind of depends whether you have an opinion, or take one.

Moment and Motion: geometry and motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3zwENPiz0

Geometry as motion, difference and same, monism and oneness, philosophy of physics,
history of science, Greek science, the Pythagoreans and Euclid, constancy and variety in logic,
Anaximander to Heraclitus, conflation and interpretation, geometry and perspective,
Philolaus on numbers, apeiron, points and bulk, the vase and balls, mathematical abstraction,
production and principles, regular theory, deism as superscientific, music and sound, personal theory,
language and wisdom, concept and theory, Socratic wisdom, Strabo's wisdom, German Greek
philosophy, confiscation in ideology, apologetics and disassociation, classicist metaphysics,
genus and analogy and ontology and metaphor, quasi-modal logic, Aristotelean capacity,
words and language, motor vehicles, the periodic table of elements, materials science and
materials technology, parts and manufacturing, philosophy of modern physics, fundamentals
and personal theory, infinities, zero and infinity, infinity the word, ordinals and cardinals, infinity
and the mind, laws of large numbers, infinity and continuity, singularities and discontinuities,
coordinate settings in relativity, continuity of context, modern philosophy of physics,
idealism of ideology, geometry is motion.

Re: FTL signals

<ea70cf440d3f920f67821e7a74252846@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129487&group=sci.physics.relativity#129487

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:43:53 +0000
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
References: <ba3e1a3b827f61817197386e210f1006@news.novabbs.com> <d866f8c4-17cd-4032-8374-a2e14689cc50n@googlegroups.com> <7e50cec636963b1401c12d8484283171@news.novabbs.com> <39e8dc3a-9f65-4952-b3e6-c655b582c0e8n@googlegroups.com> <dc5f5135714f8c863f29b0b72e3eb859@news.novabbs.com> <f0539fa1-9168-48c0-9738-c94cbe9de9can@googlegroups.com> <589efe81b7856ba889f71f16592dcea1@news.novabbs.com> <277c1401-a0b8-4497-8e04-ce92c5f9d657n@googlegroups.com> <b9e6469bfcf891ef99b052cc3f36eecb@news.novabbs.org> <8edd1356-f3ef-480a-8747-e2f89e826dfen@googlegroups.com>
 by: gharnagel - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:43 UTC

On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 5:34:23 PM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 2:31:00 PM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> >
> > Is this the time that I say sayonara and let you have the last word? :-))
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light
>
> I guess it kind of depends whether you have an opinion, or take one.

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
-- Douglas Adams

I "take" opinions after I test them and still consider they have some
validity.

“What I cannot create, I do not understand." -- Richard P. Feynman

The wiki article is a bit deficient. For example:

"Particles whose speed exceeds that of light (tachyons) have been hypothesized,
but their existence would violate causality and would imply time travel."

Not necessarily so. That "opinion" is based on a perverted use of mathematics.
The relativistic velocity composition equation, u' = (u - v)/(1 - uv/c^2), has
a singularity at u = c^2/v. Infinities don't exist in the real world, so that
means that the domain of applicability of the equation does not extend to that
point or beyond it.

> Moment and Motion: geometry and motion
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3zwENPiz0

I'll pass. I don't have time to spend an hour watching something I already know.

> [buzz words deleted] geometry is motion.

Hmmm, that's a slippery one. Even though Gauss said:

“I am coming more and more to the conviction that the necessity of our geometry
cannot be demonstrated...geometry should be ranked, not with arithmetic, which
is purely aprioristic, but with mechanics.” -- Carl Gauss, 1817

GR is interpreted in the sense of geometry, but I'm a bit skeptical of that.
There are more ways to interprete the laws of physics than as geometry. It may
be that "geometry as motion" is a bastardization of a noble branch of mathematics.

Just as proclaiming that FTL violates causality bastardizes SR.

Re: FTL signals

<6f0fff02-6bdc-41e4-9c77-de95e1bc45f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129489&group=sci.physics.relativity#129489

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 09:18:17 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 17:18 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 6:47:49 AM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 5:34:23 PM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >
> > On Saturday, January 6, 2024 at 2:31:00 PM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this the time that I say sayonara and let you have the last word? :-))
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light
> >
> > I guess it kind of depends whether you have an opinion, or take one.
> “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
> sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
> -- Douglas Adams
>
> I "take" opinions after I test them and still consider they have some
> validity.
>
> “What I cannot create, I do not understand." -- Richard P. Feynman
>
> The wiki article is a bit deficient. For example:
>
> "Particles whose speed exceeds that of light (tachyons) have been hypothesized,
> but their existence would violate causality and would imply time travel."
>
> Not necessarily so. That "opinion" is based on a perverted use of mathematics.
> The relativistic velocity composition equation, u' = (u - v)/(1 - uv/c^2), has
> a singularity at u = c^2/v. Infinities don't exist in the real world, so that
> means that the domain of applicability of the equation does not extend to that
> point or beyond it.
> > Moment and Motion: geometry and motion
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3zwENPiz0
> I'll pass. I don't have time to spend an hour watching something I already know.
>
> > [buzz words deleted] geometry is motion.
>
> Hmmm, that's a slippery one. Even though Gauss said:
>
> “I am coming more and more to the conviction that the necessity of our geometry
> cannot be demonstrated...geometry should be ranked, not with arithmetic, which
> is purely aprioristic, but with mechanics.” -- Carl Gauss, 1817
>

> GR is interpreted in the sense of geometry, but I'm a bit skeptical of that.
> There are more ways to interprete the laws of physics than as geometry. It may
> be that "geometry as motion" is a bastardization of a noble branch of mathematics.
>
> Just as proclaiming that FTL violates causality bastardizes SR.

Hm, you're smarter than the average person.

Galilean linear motion doesn't imply closed time-like curves, no.

I sort of enjoy this now what seems coming up as your opinion
and your quoted sources and a scientific approach.

It's like when I think about my (distant) cousin Renatus DesCartes,
I'm like, yeah, kind of thinks.

The Wikipedia article that was about supraluminal motion
that now redirects to a snippet in "FTL concepts",
has that indeed it is apparent superluminal motion.

Anyways I'd encourage you to go on on this manner,
helping display your aspects of what we call "Einstein's
model physicist" and "Einstein's model philosopher",
then that really if you want to get Einstein's last word,
he wrote it in "Out of My Later Year", and, I read it,
for example in those videos reading it out.

Mathematics _owes_ physics more and better mathematics of real infinity.
This is primarily couched in definitions of continuity.
Everybody knows at least one, Dedekind's, but there's also Aristotle's,
and Nyquist/Shannon's, and Duns Scotus/Spinoza's, and du Bois-Reymond's.
This is for Euclid and Poincare, not Euclid and not-Euclid.

The practice of plagiarism is a fraud, twice.

Anyways it's better your style in this manner,
then you should know your foundations of mathematics
if you expect to have a good foundations of physics,
mathematical physics.

https://www.youtube.com/@rossfinlayson

Re: FTL signals

<4cfd7b65e9a2f0f095e0bb2b305f9aed@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129503&group=sci.physics.relativity#129503

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 22:24:52 +0000
From: hitl...@yahoo.com (gharnagel)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
References: <ba3e1a3b827f61817197386e210f1006@news.novabbs.com> <d866f8c4-17cd-4032-8374-a2e14689cc50n@googlegroups.com> <7e50cec636963b1401c12d8484283171@news.novabbs.com> <39e8dc3a-9f65-4952-b3e6-c655b582c0e8n@googlegroups.com> <dc5f5135714f8c863f29b0b72e3eb859@news.novabbs.com> <f0539fa1-9168-48c0-9738-c94cbe9de9can@googlegroups.com> <589efe81b7856ba889f71f16592dcea1@news.novabbs.com> <277c1401-a0b8-4497-8e04-ce92c5f9d657n@googlegroups.com> <b9e6469bfcf891ef99b052cc3f36eecb@news.novabbs.org> <8edd1356-f3ef-480a-8747-e2f89e826dfen@googlegroups.com> <ea70cf440d3f920f67821e7a74252846@news.novabbs.com> <6f0fff02-6bdc-41e4-9c77-de95e1bc45f6n@googlegroups.com>
 by: gharnagel - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 22:24 UTC

On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 10:18:19 AM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> On Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 6:47:49 AM UTC-8, gharnagel wrote:

> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light
> > >
> > > I guess it kind of depends whether you have an opinion, or take one.
> >
> > “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
> > sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
> > -- Douglas Adams
> >
> > I "take" opinions after I test them and still consider they have some
> > validity.
> >
> > “What I cannot create, I do not understand." -- Richard P. Feynman
> >
> > The wiki article is a bit deficient. For example:
> >
> > "Particles whose speed exceeds that of light (tachyons) have been hypothesized,
> > but their existence would violate causality and would imply time travel."
> >
> > Not necessarily so. That "opinion" is based on a perverted use of mathematics.
> > The relativistic velocity composition equation, u' = (u - v)/(1 - uv/c^2), has
> > a singularity at u = c^2/v. Infinities don't exist in the real world, so that
> > means that the domain of applicability of the equation does not extend to that
> > point or beyond it.
> >
> > > Moment and Motion: geometry and motion
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3zwENPiz0
> >
> > I'll pass. I don't have time to spend an hour watching something I already know.
> >
> > > [buzz words deleted] geometry is motion.
> >
> > Hmmm, that's a slippery one. Even though Gauss said:
> >
> > “I am coming more and more to the conviction that the necessity of our geometry
> > cannot be demonstrated...geometry should be ranked, not with arithmetic, which
> > is purely aprioristic, but with mechanics.” -- Carl Gauss, 1817
> >

> > GR is interpreted in the sense of geometry, but I'm a bit skeptical of that.
> > There are more ways to interprete the laws of physics than as geometry. It may
> > be that "geometry as motion" is a bastardization of a noble branch of mathematics.
> >
> > Just as proclaiming that FTL violates causality bastardizes SR.
>
> Hm, you're smarter than the average person.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

> Galilean linear motion doesn't imply closed time-like curves, no.

Drifting again. Not talking about Galilean relativity nor GR.

> I sort of enjoy this now what seems coming up as your opinion
> and your quoted sources and a scientific approach.
>
> It's like when I think about my (distant) cousin Renatus DesCartes,
> I'm like, yeah, kind of thinks.
>
> The Wikipedia article that was about supraluminal motion
> that now redirects to a snippet in "FTL concepts",
> has that indeed it is apparent superluminal motion.
>
> Anyways I'd encourage you to go on on this manner,
> helping display your aspects of what we call "Einstein's
> model physicist" and "Einstein's model philosopher",
> then that really if you want to get Einstein's last word,
> he wrote it in "Out of My Later Year", and, I read it,
> for example in those videos reading it out.
>
> Mathematics _owes_ physics more and better mathematics of real infinity.
> This is primarily couched in definitions of continuity.
> Everybody knows at least one, Dedekind's, but there's also Aristotle's,
> and Nyquist/Shannon's, and Duns Scotus/Spinoza's, and du Bois-Reymond's.
> This is for Euclid and Poincare, not Euclid and not-Euclid.
>
> The practice of plagiarism is a fraud, twice.

Drifting ... drifting ... drifting

> Anyways it's better your style in this manner,
> then you should know your foundations of mathematics
> if you expect to have a good foundations of physics,
> mathematical physics.

I have a pretty good foundation in engineering, mathematics and physics.
Both in schooling and career -- but both a bit long of tooth. How about
you?

Re: FTL signals

<8d595c89-4d96-484c-8e91-94ee5d7d4d8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129545&group=sci.physics.relativity#129545

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 15:24:32 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 23:24 UTC

On Monday, January 8, 2024 at 11:00:47 AM UTC-8, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 8:25:11 PM UTC-8, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> > > In zen it is your path that moves.
> > >
> > > Mitchell Raemsch

> > Geometry is motion
> Why do planetary ellipses keep repeating? forever...?

It's just a stationarity of a long duration, that is
but a locally stable minimum of activity in energy,
according to a theory of sum potentials,
of the fall gravity the simplest anisotropic field the gradient,
in otherwise the Einstein's flat Space-Time,
with an infinitesimal cosmological constant.

Click here to read the complete article