Byte your tongue.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpart

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
+* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Larkin
|+* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Smiht
||`* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartTabby
|| `- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Smiht
|+* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOSpiglet
||`- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Smiht
|`* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
| `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJan Panteltje
|  +* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Larkin
|  |`* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|  | `- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Larkin
|  `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|   +* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJan Panteltje
|   |`* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|   | `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJan Panteltje
|   |  `- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|   `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOSPhil Hobbs
|    `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|     `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOSPhil Hobbs
|      `* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee
|       `- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartJohn Larkin
+- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartjeroen
+* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartlegg
|`- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartwhit3rd
`* Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartwhit3rd
 `- Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpartamal banerjee

Pages:12
Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpart

<a3dbac11-49dd-4859-a484-93e66f17cdafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129391&group=sci.electronics.design#129391

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:28:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpart
From: dakup...@gmail.com (amal banerjee)
 by: amal banerjee - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 07:28 UTC

On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 11:02:03 AM UTC+5:30, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Sep 2023 05:00:49 -0700 (PDT)) it happened amal
> banerjee <daku...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <5dafb884-2b86-4c19...@googlegroups.com>:
> >> What is the photo diode reverse current with light on say a 12V supply?
> >The 'heavy' version that you have is somewhat congested. If you are saying =
> >TR3(the transistor whose base
> >is connected to the photodiode anode) be a Darlington pair, I have tried th> >at already in the SPICE simulation,
> >although without the 100k (R1). The simulation results were not good - both> > the output current through and
> >voltage across the 50 Ohm load were worse compared to the single transistor> > case. I will definitely try
> >out it out again with the 100k(R1). I did think about the emitter follower > >at the TR3 output, but after
> >I examined the single TR3 output(across the 50 Ohm) I did not pursue it. Th=
> >e last question
> >about the reverse bias current for photodiode I am not sure, because so far> > these are all based on
> >SPICE simulations. The candidate photodiode I have in mind is BPW31|34(the =
> >Google query
> >for BPW31 datasheet returns the one for BPW34). The datasheet for BPW34 sta> >tes that the open
> >circuit voltage is 440 mV -i.e., the reverse biased diode case.
> I am looking at the BWP34 datasheet fig 3 reverse light current vesus irradiance
> it is as much as 100 uA for 2 mW / cm^2
>
> For a beta of even as low as 100 that gives 10 mA Ic in the first transistor
> With say a 220 Ohm resistor that makes 2.2V
> Add an emitter follower or any other buffer (PNP reverse is better) to get 50 Ohm driving capability,
> and it should work.
> Less light less output, higher collector resistor more output, higher beta more output.
> The collector resistor of the first stage should not be too high if you want 100 MHz (effects of Cce Ccb).
> You will need to specify light source , pulse width, etc
> The only spices I use are pepper, chili and salt.
>
> Mr Hobbs who post here has written a book IIRC about driving an opamp into the invering input
> using feedback?
> Whatever you do, you need a low impedance termination for your photo-diode in reverse mode
> as the impedance is high and any capacitance will limit speed.
>
> You can also type
> BWP34 circuit diagram
> in google, then select 'pictures' from top screen,
> and plenty of examples and I even see the circuit I described :-)
>
> Often faster than waiting here for replies.
Which Web site did you find the circuit diagram for the BWP34 ? I got my datasheet from "www.alldatasheets.com"
I have used the op-amp based transimpedance amplifier(with resistive feedback) some years ago for a low
frequency(3.5 MHz) automotive application. A low value capacitor(some pF), parallel to the feedback resistor, curbs
the effects of the capacitance of the reversed biased photodiode.

Re: Looking for very low threshold voltage NMOS and its PMOS counterpart

<u90ugid5etbdaqe1pg3aq56fc9gtimupob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129416&group=sci.electronics.design#129416

From: jl...@997arbor.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:17:36 -0700
References: <ecdeeca6-0975-46b6-9cdd-a42f8fdded0en@googlegroups.com> <b63mgiphdvd63e9bk88k397pv8lhlejcs9@4ax.com> <21592d6c-93a9-4852-a6d9-285c75bbd202n@googlegroups.com> <uegk2j$dsc9$1@solani.org> <e1f8fc46-a40d-4fb8-beda-bd960b476c44n@googlegroups.com> <uejqds$559q$1@dont-email.me> <265dae18-53c1-4f31-a913-d1d8cc9fde83n@googlegroups.com> <uek2fv$82lt$1@dont-email.me> <8df77d5e-ad64-42eb-8adc-543c47c7fc03n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:17 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 00:17:58 -0700 (PDT), amal banerjee
<dakupoto@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 6:19:12?PM UTC+5:30, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> amal banerjee <daku...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So far all my results are based on SPICE simulations. The candidate
>> > photodiode is BPW34 whose datasheet
>> > states that it is for high speed light detection for visible and near
>> > infra red with half angle of sensitivity +/-65
>> > degree. Reverse light current is 75 mA(typical).
>> > I am experimenting with line of sight light detection at high frequency.
>> > No I would not want to bounce light
>> > off my kitty, esepecially now that it has a kitten to take care of.
>> >

>> That’s way too vague for me to be able to help much, except to say that the
>> difficulty ranges from trivial to impossible, depending on the details.
>>
>> The BPW34 isn’t great for bandwidths over 50 MHz or so, but with a better
>> detector and a decent front end it isn’t hard to reproduce nanosecond
>> pulses. Even op amps can have gain bandwidths in the gigahertz.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>> --
>> Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
>> Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
>I know that the BPW34 is inappropriate for very high frequencies, but since I have
>not worked with optoelectronic circuits for a while, I am trying to get my "feet wet"
>before plunging into the real stuff. Yes, I have seen documentation on GHz op-amps,
>but have not used them before.

Phil's book, Designing Electro-Optical Systems, has a lot of good
stuff on the subject.