Linux is obsolete (Andrew Tanenbaum)

tech / sci.electronics.design / EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

SubjectAuthor
* EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFlyguy
+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
|+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publica a
|`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFlyguy
| +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
| +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
| `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFred Bloggs
||`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publica a
|`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFlyguy
| `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicCursitor Doom
|+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFred Bloggs
||`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publica a
|+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
||`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicCursitor Doom
|| +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicCursitor Doom
|| |+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|| |`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|| +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|| `* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
||  `* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicLasse Langwadt Christensen
||   +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
||   `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
|+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicke...@kjwdesigns.com
||+* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicEddy Lee
|||+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicke...@kjwdesigns.com
|||`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
||| `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicLasse Langwadt Christensen
||`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicDon Y
|`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicLasse Langwadt Christensen
+- EVs present multiple safety problems for the publica a
+- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 | `* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |  +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |  |`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |  +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |  |`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |  +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |  |`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |  +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |  |`- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |  `* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |   +* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicgggg gggg
 |   |`* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |   | +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicEddy Lee
 |   | `* Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicFlyguy
 |   |  `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |   +- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman
 |   `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicRicky
 `- Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the publicAnthony William Sloman

Pages:123
EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<61adf0ce-4c8d-41e6-9f43-40f9e326d463n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129440&group=sci.electronics.design#129440

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (Flyguy)
 by: Flyguy - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 05:38 UTC

The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<77467dcf-43f8-4fbe-8442-4e1fcf332f09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129442&group=sci.electronics.design#129442

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 05:46 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 1:38:27 AM UTC-4, Flyguy wrote:
> The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
>
> https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards

I guess that's why they don't allow full sized pickup trucks to park in decks. Right?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<412753b9-e07f-4355-a5ad-1f64818cc9f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129444&group=sci.electronics.design#129444

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 02:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:29 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 3:38:27 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
> The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
>
> https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards

Trust Sewage Sweeper to seep up some more right-wing miss-information. In reality electric vehicles tend to be 30% heavier than their gasoline-engined equivalents, but there always have been a distribution in vehicle weights, and another 30% extra weight in a parking garage is no more likely to cause it to collapse than a sudden influx of SUVs.

SUVs present the same sort of danger to lighter cars in a car crash, and this hasn't lead to them being banned'

And the crap about them no paying for road maintenance is just silly - they don't do so at the moment, because there aren't enough of them to matter, but it's just that the responsible authorities haven't yet got around to imposing a road use tax on everybody, mainly because they haven't yet sorted out the cheapest and most comprehensive way of doing it.

My car already get billed for a road use tax on selected roads in Sydney - it's fitted with an active card at the top of the windscreen which beeps when I enter and leave a toll road, and the portal sends me a bill every six months or so. Stick a GPS locator in it and it can tell the portal where I've been since I last went through one.

--
Bill Sloman, Synhey

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<8b49ca98-0a93-420c-a51e-d20ce8976171n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129450&group=sci.electronics.design#129450

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:27 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 5:29:12 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 3:38:27 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
> > The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
> >
> > https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
> Trust Sewage Sweeper to seep up some more right-wing miss-information. In reality electric vehicles tend to be 30% heavier than their gasoline-engined equivalents, but there always have been a distribution in vehicle weights, and another 30% extra weight in a parking garage is no more likely to cause it to collapse than a sudden influx of SUVs.

In the U.S. the commercial passenger airlines have been estimating the passenger weight load as 150 lbs per person for decades. This is incredibly inaccurate, and the FAA is just now formulating revising the rules. Dunno what's the problem with making the passengers stand on a scale. Some idiots will be screaming about invasion of privacy no doubt.

> SUVs present the same sort of danger to lighter cars in a car crash, and this hasn't lead to them being banned'

The full answer is "it's complicated." The big heavy EVs definitely present a risk to lighter vehicles.

As heavy EVs proliferate, their weight may be a drag on safety

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/as-heavy-evs-proliferate-their-weight-may-be-a-drag-on-safety

Definitive source on all aspects of safety:

"The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is an independent, nonprofit scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing deaths, injuries and property damage from motor vehicle crashes through research and evaluation and through education of consumers, policymakers and safety professionals.

The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) shares and supports this mission through scientific studies of insurance data representing the human and economic losses resulting from the ownership and operation of different types of vehicles and by publishing insurance loss results by vehicle make and model.."

> And the crap about them no paying for road maintenance is just silly - they don't do so at the moment, because there aren't enough of them to matter, but it's just that the responsible authorities haven't yet got around to imposing a road use tax on everybody, mainly because they haven't yet sorted out the cheapest and most comprehensive way of doing it.

They do pay road tax in U.S. in the form of a registration tax that accounts for the low fuel use of the vehicle as a function of make and model. Even hybrids have been paying the additional tax for some time. The registration process requires an odometer reading, so the authorities can gauge quite accurately the amount of road use.

Looks like the morons in the OP's state are just now getting around to doing the same thing:

https://news.wfsu.org/state-news/2023-03-21/florida-ev-owners-may-get-their-own-version-of-a-gas-tax

> My car already get billed for a road use tax on selected roads in Sydney - it's fitted with an active card at the top of the windscreen which beeps when I enter and leave a toll road, and the portal sends me a bill every six months or so. Stick a GPS locator in it and it can tell the portal where I've been since I last went through one.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Synhey

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<ace0hipp3s3f0rl4paabcrs266dgfjc4a7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129451&group=sci.electronics.design#129451

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:33:36 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:33 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
<soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
>
>https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards

These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
coming. I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's
probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs (apart
from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to
grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life
batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the
roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<c78369bb-e378-4dcd-b31e-70efe037aa77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129453&group=sci.electronics.design#129453

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:48 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 9:33:46 AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
> <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
> >
> >https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
> pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
> coming. I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's
> probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs (apart
> from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
> doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to
> grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life
> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the
> roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.

In U.S. they have this:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/02/26/2018-03721/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standard-no-141-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42448312/nhtsa-investigates-ev-hybrid-safety-related-retrofit-recall/

Tesla got in trouble once again for producing a flawed system.

EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<KwXPM.253839$5D9b.72676@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129455&group=sci.electronics.design#129455

Followup: alt.test.group
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16:10 GMT
 by: a a - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16 UTC

The idiot Flyguy <soar2morrow@yahoo.com> persisting in being an Off-topic troll...

--
Flyguy <soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public
> From: Flyguy <soar2morrow@yahoo.com>

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<QwXPM.253840$5D9b.235065@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129456&group=sci.electronics.design#129456

Followup: alt.test.group
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16:16 GMT
 by: a a - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16 UTC

The idiot Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> persisting in being an Off-topic troll...

--
Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public
> From: Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com>

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<WwXPM.253841$5D9b.211050@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129457&group=sci.electronics.design#129457

Followup: alt.test.group
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16:22 GMT
 by: a a - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16 UTC

The idiot Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> persisting in being an Off-topic troll...

--
Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public
> From: Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com>

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<0xXPM.253842$5D9b.80229@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129458&group=sci.electronics.design#129458

Followup: alt.test.group
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,free.spam
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16:28 GMT
 by: a a - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:16 UTC

The idiot Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> persisting in being an Off-topic troll...

--
Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public
> From: Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com>

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<6dee88da-b775-4723-9956-6cc1d2fe94a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129461&group=sci.electronics.design#129461

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:17 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 11:33:46 PM UTC+10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
> <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
> >
> >https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
>
> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it coming.

They seem to have be required to incorporate a audilble noise source just to deal with this, at least in some juristictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs (apart from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

Electric batteries don't "spontaneously combust". Self-discharge does get worse as they get older, and that does warm the battery.

Electric cars do have built-in battery managements systems which do monitor the temperature of the battery core and its surface.

If the self-heating gets back enough to get the battery core up to about 120C, they can go into thermal run-away, when the self heating is bad enough make self-discharge dramatically worse.
but the battery management will have been flashing lights and sounding the horn long before that. The owner can can ignore it, but the event isn't "spontaneous".

Flyguy seems to suffer from the same kind of ignorant alarmism.

Actually getting rid of battery at it's end of life isn't difficult. The full name is "a battery of cells" and the individual cells aren't large, so you just dismantle the battery and send the cells off to be recycled, in whatever bite-sized chunks suit you and recycler. Much less of a problem than an internal combustion engine block.

> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the roads and the production of any more shut down world-wide.

Cursitor Doom is a menace and needs to removed from the internet before anybody takes him seriously. Perhaps we could settle for a government health warming - this poster no grasp of reality and a passion for for fatuous fairy tales - but it probably wouldn't be enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<50dfea9f-5b09-4098-b1f7-56687a68aaaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129462&group=sci.electronics.design#129462

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:22:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:22 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 11:33:46 PM UTC+10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
> <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
> >
> >https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
>
> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it coming.

They seem to have been required to incorporate a audible noise source just to deal with this, at least in some juristictions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs (apart from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

Electric batteries don't "spontaneously combust". Self-discharge does get worse as they get older, and that does warm the battery.

Electric cars do have built-in battery managements systems which do monitor the temperature of the battery core and the battery surface.

If the self-heating gets bad enough to get the battery core up to about 120C, they can go into thermal run-away, when the self heating is high enough make self-discharge dramatically worse.
but the battery management will have been flashing lights and sounding the horn long before that. The owner can can ignore it, but the event isn't "spontaneous".

Flyguy seems to suffer from the same kind of ignorant alarmism about battereis.

Actually getting rid of battery at it's end of life isn't difficult. The full name is "a battery of cells" and the individual cells aren't large, so you just dismantle the battery and send the cells off to be recycled, in whatever bite-sized chunks suit you and recycler. Much less of a problem than an internal combustion engine block.

> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the roads and the production of any more shut down world-wide.

Cursitor Doom is a menace and needs to removed from the internet before anybody takes him seriously. Perhaps we could settle for a government health warming - this poster no grasp of reality and a passion for for fatuous fairy tales - but it probably wouldn't be enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<169ccf5d-e82a-4ca7-809e-b54ad7d068e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129465&group=sci.electronics.design#129465

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:15 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 9:33:46 AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
> <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
> >
> >https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
> pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
> coming.

If you can't hear an EV coming, it's because you are deaf. It was a couple of years ago, they required EVs to make noise equivalent to an ICE when driving at parking lot speeds. On the road, tires make as much noise as a car engine.

> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's
> probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs

Which is not supported by any facts.

> (apart
> from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
> doors so no one can get out.)

Again, not supported by the facts.

> And we haven't even begun to get to
> grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life
> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the materials inside.

> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the
> roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.

It's fortunate that you stand alone in this idea, other than a few other kooks.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<sbp0hili1ihpbl7drebi393mcsc1seudvh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129469&group=sci.electronics.design#129469

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:49:08 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 16:49 UTC

On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 9:33:46?AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:38:22 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
>> <soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
>> >
>> >https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards
>> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
>> pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
>> coming.
>
>If you can't hear an EV coming, it's because you are deaf. It was a couple of years ago, they required EVs to make noise equivalent to an ICE when driving at parking lot speeds. On the road, tires make as much noise as a car engine.

I don't give a damn how much noise they don't make on the highway. The
fact is in Yurp they're as silent as the grave - which is where any
unfortunate pedestrian who enounters one will end up if he's hit by
one.
>> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's
>> probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs
>
>Which is not supported by any facts.

Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but hereabouts it's certainly
the case.

>> (apart
>> from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
>> doors so no one can get out.)
>
>Again, not supported by the facts.

Bloody well is! I have posted several links to Teslas bursting into
flames and cooking their passengers whose egress from the
conflagration (and it *is* a conflagration, believe me) was prevented
by the doors automatically locking them inside. You know damn well
this lead to the somewhat tasteless joke about a "free cremation for
every new owner" going the rounds a while ago.

>> And we haven't even begun to get to
>> grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life
>> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
>
>Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the materialnside

Er, no, sorry. That's the line spouted by the manufacturers but it's
not the actual reality. The fact of the matter is that there is an
incipient environmental catastrophe unfolding right now. And it will
become increasingly difficult for people like yourself to ignore now
that the first generation of these EVs are reaching end of life.

>> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the
>> roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.
>
>It's fortunate that you stand alone in this idea, other than a few other kooks.

You and that conspicuous idiot Bill Sloman are the only kooks ignoring
the reality of the situation here. You mark my words: the disposal of
EV batteries will be the next BIG ISSUE going forward. MARK MY
WORDS....

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<70cbe7f7-c40f-454a-89dd-20788a79bfcbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129470&group=sci.electronics.design#129470

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: kei...@kjwdesigns.com (ke...@kjwdesigns.com)
 by: ke...@kjwdesigns.com - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:16 UTC

On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

They do not weigh 1400kg.

The battery in a Tesla Model 3 long range weighs less than 500kg which is typical for the larger ones.

kw

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<a3c523a2-0b50-496f-9d14-29421436fb7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129472&group=sci.electronics.design#129472

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: eddy711...@gmail.com (Eddy Lee)
 by: Eddy Lee - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:26 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 10:16:47 AM UTC-7, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> > batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> They do not weigh 1400kg.

Probably 1400 pounds for most EVs.

My Leaf battery #1 is 400kg/700 pounds, #2 is 40kg/100 pounds, #3 is 14kg/30 pounds, #4 is 10kg/20 pounds.

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<6b21d9a0-fc85-485f-9e5a-b12bd5fcffb1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129473&group=sci.electronics.design#129473

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:34:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: kei...@kjwdesigns.com (ke...@kjwdesigns.com)
 by: ke...@kjwdesigns.com - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:34 UTC

On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 10:26:48 UTC-7, Eddy Lee wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 10:16:47 AM UTC-7, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> > > batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> > They do not weigh 1400kg.
> Probably 1400 pounds for most EVs.
>
> My Leaf battery #1 is 400kg/700 pounds, #2 is 40kg/100 pounds, #3 is 14kg/30 pounds, #4 is 10kg/20 pounds.

Not even 1400lbs for most EVs

The Tesla Model Y (the most popular EV) has a battery weight of 445kg/979lb..

https://www.batterydesign.net/2022-tesla-model-y-4680/

kw

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<7632ff8f-b4e6-4fdd-bde0-5f8edfaafbe0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129478&group=sci.electronics.design#129478

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:08 UTC

søndag den 24. september 2023 kl. 15.33.46 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:
> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

type into google: "what is the weight of a tesla 3 battery"

"The Standard Range version carries 2,976 cells arranged in 96 groups of 31.. The Long Range version carries 4,416 cells arranged in 96 groups of 46, and weighs 1,060 pounds (480 kg)"

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<rjd1hitgbasl8j3k6tcjhltdu6cvvoohvm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129483&group=sci.electronics.design#129483

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 23:23:11 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:23 UTC

On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:07:14 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:49:18?PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>
>> Bloody well is! I have posted several links to Teslas bursting into
>> flames and cooking their passengers whose egress from the
>> conflagration (and it *is* a conflagration, believe me) was prevented
>> by the doors automatically locking them inside. You know damn well
>> this lead to the somewhat tasteless joke about a "free cremation for
>> every new owner" going the rounds a while ago.
>> >
>> >Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the materialnside
>>
>> Er, no, sorry. That's the line spouted by the manufacturers but it's
>> not the actual reality. The fact of the matter is that there is an
>> incipient environmental catastrophe unfolding right now. And it will
>> become increasingly difficult for people like yourself to ignore now
>> that the first generation of these EVs are reaching end of life.'
>
>There's not a single renewable power source out there for which recycling/ disposal/ demonstration research is not being conducted. Solar panels will probably add up to more than EV battery packs. Criterion for successful recycling is that the final cost of precious metals extracted shall not be in excess of the newly mined and processed resource. That makes sense to me. And they're hitting the target every time.
>
>https://www.energy.gov/infrastructure/electric-drive-vehicle-battery-recycling-and-2nd-life-apps
>
>Life would be easier for you if you investigate the actual facts of whatever it is causing you so much anxiety.

Whitewashing and cover-ups can only work for so long. In the fullness
of time, you'll see the truth emerge......

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<70fe6973-539e-486d-9633-7eb5e9f156c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129496&group=sci.electronics.design#129496

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 21:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 04:45 UTC

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 2:49:18 AM UTC+10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
> <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 9:33:46?AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> >> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
> >> pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
> >> coming.
> >
> >If you can't hear an EV coming, it's because you are deaf. It was a couple of years ago, they required EVs to make noise equivalent to an ICE when driving at parking lot speeds. On the road, tires make as much noise as a car engine.
>
> I don't give a damn how much noise they don't make on the highway. The fact is in Yurp they're as silent as the grave - which is where any unfortunate pedestrian who enounters one will end up if he's hit by one.

They'd have to be as stone deaf as you seem to be.

> >> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs
> >
> >Which is not supported by any facts.
>
> Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but hereabouts it's certainly the case.

Cursitor Doom doesn't invent his own facts - he relies on other right-wing half-wits to do it for him, they tells you how utter;y relialbe his favourite brand o nonsense is..

> >> (apart from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
> >> doors so no one can get out.)
> >
> >Again, not supported by the facts.
>
> Bloody well is! I have posted several links to Teslas bursting into flames and cooking their passengers whose egress from the conflagration (and it *is* a conflagration, believe me) was prevented by the doors automatically locking them inside. You know damn well this lead to the somewhat tasteless joke about a "free cremation for every new owner" going the rounds a while ago.

Your capacity for finding right wing nonsense is unparalleled, and the fact that you haven't posted the links again is pretty clear evidence that they got a sceptical reception the first time you tried.

> >> And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> >
> >Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the material inside
>
> Er, no, sorry. That's the line spouted by the manufacturers but it's not the actual reality.

Not the "reality" that Cursitor Doom has decided to invent.

> The fact of the matter is that there is an incipient environmental catastrophe unfolding right now.

But one that is likely to stay incipient forever, like the rest of Cursitor Doom's bogus prophecies.

> And it will become increasingly difficult for people like yourself to ignore now that the first generation of these EVs are reaching end of life.

Since there's absolutely no sign of any "incipient environmental catastrophe" this is just another of of Cursitor Doom's bogus prophecies.

> >> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.

Seriously, malicious clowns like Cursitor Doom should be taken off the Internet, or a least subject to crushing charges for posting dangerous misinformation and pretending that it has any factual basis,

> >It's fortunate that you stand alone in this idea, other than a few other kooks.

Cursitor Doom does enjoy his little delusions. In his mind he isn't a demented right-winger spouting absurd nonsense because he enjoys the frisson of being totally fatuous.

> You and that conspicuous idiot Bill Sloman are the only kooks ignoring the reality of the situation here.

5% of the population needs psychiatric help and Cursitor Doom is part of that small but noisy faction. One of his more fatuous delusiuon is that he and the rest of the Daily Mail reading minority are actually part of a silent majority who share their flagrantly silly ideas.

> You mark my words: the disposal of EV batteries will be the next BIG ISSUE going forward. MARK MY WORDS....

We mark your words as seriously deluded. You posts probably ought to automatically marked with a public intellectual health warning.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<a23c900d-fbc0-4d87-af8d-b93849bbd279n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129497&group=sci.electronics.design#129497

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 21:55:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 04:55 UTC

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 8:23:20 AM UTC+10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:07:14 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:49:18?PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

<snip>

> >Life would be easier for you if you investigate the actual facts of whatever it is causing you so much anxiety.

It wouldn't. He proudly explained how he'd done exactly that - or what he though t was exactly that - to investigate the reality of anthropogenic global warming.

What he did was put together a third of a ton of obsolete documents, mostly from the 1890's, presenting erratic results that he could cherry pick to support his lunatic idea that atmospheric CO2 levels aren't actually rising, and he's ignored all the modern data on the grounds that it has been produced by a grand conspiracy of all the climate scientists around the world to delude the public.

> Whitewashing and cover-ups can only work for so long. In the fullness of time, you'll see the truth emerge......

Of course black-washing and invention - which is what Cursitor Doom is doing - is ineffective even in the short term because it is obviously nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<uer50m$1p3f1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129498&group=sci.electronics.design#129498

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:15:01 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 05:15 UTC

On 9/24/2023 10:16 AM, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>
>> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
>
> They do not weigh 1400kg.
>
> The battery in a Tesla Model 3 long range weighs less than 500kg which is typical for the larger ones.

The supplemental fuel tank on my neighbor's pickup truck weighs more
than that (when filled with 160G of diesel).

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<37cc92af-f97f-45c2-92fa-8a1282cdcb03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129500&group=sci.electronics.design#129500

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:39:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 05:39 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 3:38:27 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
> The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!
>
> https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/transportation/growing-electric-vehicle-sales-bring-concerns-over-safety-hazards

Actually the real safety problem with EVs s that they tend to make right-wing lunatics run around like headless chickens, broadcasting their groundless anxieties at the tops of their voices.

Right-winger don't like any change at in society at all, unless it is presented to them as the restoration of some mythical golden age. Real golden ages don't hack it - people can find out what was wrong with them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<e96b53fa-c84e-4441-91e0-1672ff1e9973n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129533&group=sci.electronics.design#129533

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:45 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:49:18 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 09:15:55 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
> <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 9:33:46?AM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> >> These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a
> >> pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it
> >> coming.
> >
> >If you can't hear an EV coming, it's because you are deaf. It was a couple of years ago, they required EVs to make noise equivalent to an ICE when driving at parking lot speeds. On the road, tires make as much noise as a car engine.
> I don't give a damn how much noise they don't make on the highway. The
> fact is in Yurp they're as silent as the grave - which is where any
> unfortunate pedestrian who enounters one will end up if he's hit by
> one.

I just explained to you how new EVs all have to make noise at parking lot speeds. Then there is the fact that you are blind, since you should be looking where you are going. It's not all up to the driver of the car to avoid the pedestrians who walk in front of him.

> >> I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's
> >> probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs
> >
> >Which is not supported by any facts.
> Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but hereabouts it's certainly
> the case.
> >

> >> (apart
> >> from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the
> >> doors so no one can get out.)
> >
> >Again, not supported by the facts.
> Bloody well is! I have posted several links to Teslas bursting into
> flames and cooking their passengers whose egress from the
> conflagration (and it *is* a conflagration, believe me) was prevented
> by the doors automatically locking them inside.

The doors don't "lock". My doors have a mechanical handle. I can open them at any time. Please stop lying about this.

> You know damn well
> this lead to the somewhat tasteless joke about a "free cremation for
> every new owner" going the rounds a while ago.
> >> And we haven't even begun to get to
> >> grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life
> >> batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> >
> >Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the materialnside
>
> Er, no, sorry. That's the line spouted by the manufacturers but it's
> not the actual reality. The fact of the matter is that there is an
> incipient environmental catastrophe unfolding right now.

Yes!!! We are very much aware of climate change caused by the massive emissions of CO2, largely by autos.

> And it will
> become increasingly difficult for people like yourself to ignore now
> that the first generation of these EVs are reaching end of life.

The "first generation" of EVs sold in the 10's of thousands per year. The Nissan leaf sold 100,000 a year at some point. The Tesla model 3 is the first car to sell in significant volumes and started shipping in 2018. So you are a long way off, as is any "crisis" in recycling the batteries. You need to keep in mind that these batteries aren't tossed when they reach 70% capacity. They are simply removed from automotive use and put into stationary applications.

> >> Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the
> >> roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.
> >
> >It's fortunate that you stand alone in this idea, other than a few other kooks.
> You and that conspicuous idiot Bill Sloman are the only kooks ignoring
> the reality of the situation here. You mark my words: the disposal of
> EV batteries will be the next BIG ISSUE going forward. MARK MY
> WORDS....

You are pretty funny. When will this catastrophe happen?

How many tires does your car go through? What is the volume and weight of those tires? What the hell do they do with all of them? God forbid they catch on fire. They never get put out. Even if not on fire, they hold water and create mosquito breeding grounds. But you don't seem to think they are a problem.

No, of course not. You just get a hard on anytime you can complain about an EV.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

<1ff19ff7-3527-4ba2-befc-2eec819acba9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129534&group=sci.electronics.design#129534

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:50 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 1:26:48 PM UTC-4, Eddy Lee wrote:
> On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 10:16:47 AM UTC-7, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> > > batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!
> > They do not weigh 1400kg.
> Probably 1400 pounds for most EVs.

Not "most" EVs. Only the longest range EVs. There may be larger batteries in some of the monster pickups. But pickups are always monster these days, weight tons (literally) in all models.

> My Leaf battery #1 is 400kg/700 pounds, #2 is 40kg/100 pounds, #3 is 14kg/30 pounds, #4 is 10kg/20 pounds.

I think your Leaf is no longer considered an EV. You probably would get better range by using AA batteries. These days, it's more of a paperweight.