From: snag_...@msn.com (SNAG)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: New here ... and an old gearhead
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:19:41 -0600
 by: SNAG - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:19 UTC

Micheal Trew told me about this group while we were conversing via
email about my truck motor build . The motor is a 305 "H" motor in a
1986 GMC 1500 LWB pickup with a TH700R4 and 2.73:1 gears .
The motor mods include a .030"over bore with flattop pistons
(anticipate about 9.5:1 or so c/r) , stage 3 cam (ELGIN E-922-P)
small/long tube headers , Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold with a Holley
750 CFM vac secondary carb . I have the HP heads with 55 cc chambers .
This motor is rated 165 HP stock with 9:1 compression . I'm hoping that
between rippin' off all the smog gear and the mods I'll make around 250
HP - though that may be optimistic . The exhaust system will be 2" dual
with Thrush Hush mufflers . I don't need or want to advertise .
The other major change will be replacing those 2.73 gears with a set
of 3.42's . We live on the southern edge of the Ozark Plateau (north
central Arkansas) and there a 2 things the roads here ain't . That's
straight and flat ! Great roads for bikes (ask me about my Harleys) but
them flatland gears ain't cuttin' it .
The only other change I plan - for now - is a shift kit in the trans
.. I need to do some research on that one , I don't usually mess with
automatic transmissions .
BTW , A/T's are about the only thing I don't usually work on , I
maintain all our cars and bikes . And I have a pretty complete hobby
machine shop ...

--
Snag on the
travelin' laptop

Re: New here ... and an old gearhead

<sqcvv3$atf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1302&group=rec.autos.tech#1302

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: New here ... and an old gearhead
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:17:08 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:17 UTC

On 12/26/2021 0:19, SNAG wrote:
> Micheal Trew told me about this group while we were conversing via email
> about my truck motor build . The motor is a 305 "H" motor in a 1986 GMC
> 1500 LWB pickup with a TH700R4 and 2.73:1 gears .
> The motor mods include a .030"over bore with flattop pistons (anticipate
> about 9.5:1 or so c/r) , stage 3 cam (ELGIN E-922-P) small/long tube
> headers , Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold with a Holley 750 CFM vac
> secondary carb . I have the HP heads with 55 cc chambers . This motor is
> rated 165 HP stock with 9:1 compression . I'm hoping that between
> rippin' off all the smog gear and the mods I'll make around 250 HP -
> though that may be optimistic . The exhaust system will be 2" dual with
> Thrush Hush mufflers . I don't need or want to advertise .
> The other major change will be replacing those 2.73 gears with a set of
> 3.42's . We live on the southern edge of the Ozark Plateau (north
> central Arkansas) and there a 2 things the roads here ain't . That's
> straight and flat ! Great roads for bikes (ask me about my Harleys) but
> them flatland gears ain't cuttin' it .
> The only other change I plan - for now - is a shift kit in the trans . I
> need to do some research on that one , I don't usually mess with
> automatic transmissions .
> BTW , A/T's are about the only thing I don't usually work on , I
> maintain all our cars and bikes . And I have a pretty complete hobby
> machine shop ...

Glad to see you here!

I don't mess with automatic transmissions much either. That truck
sounds like a blast to drive, but I'd convert it to a 4 on the floor.

Re: New here ... and an old gearhead

<sqf3mj$qpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=rec.autos.tech#1303

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 07:32:52 -0600
 by: Snag - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:32 UTC

On 12/27/2021 12:17 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/26/2021 0:19, SNAG wrote:
>> Micheal Trew told me about this group while we were conversing via email
>> about my truck motor build . The motor is a 305 "H" motor in a 1986 GMC
>> 1500 LWB pickup with a TH700R4 and 2.73:1 gears .
>> The motor mods include a .030"over bore with flattop pistons (anticipate
>> about 9.5:1 or so c/r) , stage 3 cam (ELGIN E-922-P) small/long tube
>> headers , Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold with a Holley 750 CFM vac
>> secondary carb . I have the HP heads with 55 cc chambers . This motor is
>> rated 165 HP stock with 9:1 compression . I'm hoping that between
>> rippin' off all the smog gear and the mods I'll make around 250 HP -
>> though that may be optimistic . The exhaust system will be 2" dual with
>> Thrush Hush mufflers . I don't need or want to advertise .
>> The other major change will be replacing those 2.73 gears with a set of
>> 3.42's . We live on the southern edge of the Ozark Plateau (north
>> central Arkansas) and there a 2 things the roads here ain't . That's
>> straight and flat ! Great roads for bikes (ask me about my Harleys) but
>> them flatland gears ain't cuttin' it .
>> The only other change I plan - for now - is a shift kit in the trans . I
>> need to do some research on that one , I don't usually mess with
>> automatic transmissions .
>> BTW , A/T's are about the only thing I don't usually work on , I
>> maintain all our cars and bikes . And I have a pretty complete hobby
>> machine shop ...
>
> Glad to see you here!
>
> I don't mess with automatic transmissions much either.  That truck
> sounds like a blast to drive, but I'd convert it to a 4 on the floor.

If I were to go standard I'd go with a 5 speed like the one in an 89
Chevy SWB I once owned . I've had this truck for about 15 years now ,
and it was just fine for a work and general runaround truck - in Memphis
.. Flatland gears made it less fun to drive up here in the Ozarks ...
then my son needed wheels and it ended up with the motor blown . I
already had the 3.42 gear set and that was all I was planning on doing .
But since the motor needed a rebuild I decided to bring it back stronger
.. When I'm finished it'll be a lot more fun to drive !
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !