If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong. -- Norm Schryer

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps

SubjectAuthor
* Carl SaganThe Starmaker
+- Re: Carl SaganDavid Dalton
+* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
|`* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| +* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |`* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| | `* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |  `* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |   +- Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |   +* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |   |`* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |   | `* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |   |  `* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |   |   `- Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
| |   `* Re: Carl SaganVolney
| |    +* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |    |`* Re: Carl SaganVolney
| |    | `* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |    |  +- Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |    |  `* Re: Carl SaganVolney
| |    |   `- Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
| |    `- Re: Carl SaganRupert Parr
| `* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
|  `* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
|   `* Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
|    `* Re: Carl SaganThe Starmaker
|     `- Re: Carl SaganPhysfitfreak
`* Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsThe Starmaker
 +* Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsPhysfitfreak
 |+- Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsThe Starmaker
 |+* Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsThe Starmaker
 ||`- Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsThe Starmaker
 |`- Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsPhysfitfreak
 `* Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsThe Starmaker
  `- Re: Carl Sagan...perhapsPhysfitfreak

Pages:12
Re: Carl Sagan

<6581FF6B.5E61@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128871&group=sci.physics.relativity#128871

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Subject: Re: Carl Sagan
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:39:07 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:39 UTC

Volney wrote:

> On 12/19/2023 1:41 AM, The Starmaker wrote:
> > Volney wrote:
>
> >> Your attempt to create the most absurd "theory" possible, that trees
> >> formed the oceans, is admirable, but still doesn't beat even more absurd
> >> "theories", such as the entire universe is some cosmic plutonium atom,
> >> as well as a few other beauts. The judges give you a 9 in effort!
> >

> > Are you forgetting that all the fishes in the ocean come from the leaves
> > on the trees?
> >
> Your attempt to beat the cosmic plutonium atom absurdity by saying fish
> are leaves was valiant but still falls short. The judges, however, now
> award you a 9.5 in effort.

On the cover of this Science Journal Science Magazine..
you will see a Brown leaf...
but it is not a Brown leaf..it's an insect.
https://twitter.com/Starmaker111/status/1166218593597444102/photo/1

(i didn't have room on the cover to put REAL fishes from leaves)

to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,
and challenge the unchallengeable.

Re: Carl Sagan

<um2nj7$stq5$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128928&group=sci.physics.relativity#128928

Followup: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
From: tur...@reaetper.rr (Rupert Parr)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 01:08:56 -0000 (UTC)
Ix6WzfVo8Mq7h1j7dqAEkbWgCgID2kAEmtIKLQQkeDX2ANe57RWsVACf3jkYGoK
EDksSlsW/uDLBtbxMJUjxHh3vIAPcB9/CE4YAnP4uuHUALo0gnZVWWjy3AzrXfC
FR4culkEYoRd8zRKUWgs3oXP7RxBBQCiXcjXsu5pVRQjA9Qme0FvToczBgEgfc2
yaBqvC1SzxEsQoCL0CFKlAgmCGj6yR/rUDK4P8elvMSpVKEeMPWz9DEHuqFX35h
BKuevz0R9VV78B5JzOe9T/8D/AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
[hU2i..?e7]oN_:v=>Q@.:_KlRRHZF9BLP%G`hn56!#'T'|A-y)I%Z<SYUt>3[ZPsUjQy?'
p2QKEz^OJ9XQoQ^bfwN\F5".09QOq<qk_qF7mkX:!Z%.Z=WudLLL*Dm*}`Y~JZM_.^h2!^/
x=*dl})fI>zj/nk
 by: Rupert Parr - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 01:08 UTC

Volney wrote:

> On 12/17/2023 4:04 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
>> "Congealing and warming, the Earth released the methane,
>> ammonia, water and hydrogen gases that had been trapped within, forming
>> the primitive atmosphere and the first oceans." --Carl Sagan
>> 'methane, ammonia, water and hydrogen' come from a 'tree'.
>>
> So you admit Carl Sagan didn't say the primitive atmosphere and oceans
> came from trees. You did.

why, is carl segan also a 𝗸𝗵𝗮𝘇𝗮𝗿_𝗴𝗼𝘆 from polakia?? What a shame.

𝗚𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻𝘀_𝗮𝗿𝗲_‘𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲𝘀’_–_𝗟𝗮𝘃𝗿𝗼𝘃
Americans are advising the EU how to get around their laws to seize
Russian assets, Moscow's top diplomat has said
https://r%74.com/russia/589485-germany-russian-assets-thieves/

Actions have consequences, and this "Government Sanctioned Theft" 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗻𝗼𝘁
𝗴𝗼 𝘂𝗻𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗲𝗱, by investors & other countries, who will 𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂, your
country & your brand ever again.

𝗧𝗵𝗲_𝗚𝗮𝘇𝗮_𝗚𝗲𝗻𝗼𝗰𝗶𝗱𝗲 ended all delusion that the Americans are friends of the
Arabs. The Americans are now walking naked 𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝗱𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱
𝗺𝘂𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗔𝗿𝗮𝗯𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗠𝘂𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗺𝘀. Period. The Ukraine War not only ended the
American dominance in Europe but also 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗲𝘀 of Nato countries.
They are now bankrupt and desperadoes, still stupidly wanting to fight
Russia and decouple from China. They are getting their just desserts.

Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps

<q4qcoipvp6mkg1s5h84spalel3pbp34bj9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128955&group=sci.physics.relativity#128955

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Subject: Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:13:14 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 05:13 UTC

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:40:11 -0800, The Starmaker
<starmaker@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Carl Edward Sagan was an American astronomer and science communicator.
>His best known scientific contribution is his research on the possibility of extraterrestrial life.
>He assembled the first physical messages sent into space
>which were universal messages that could potentially be understood by any extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them.
>

>Astronomy is the study of everything in the universe beyond Earth's atmosphere.
>

>That means a space nut.

PERHAPS

per·haps
/p?r'(h)aps/
adverb
used to express uncertainty or possibility.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+perhaps

Perhaps.

Carl Sagan was a con artist. Instead of saying "possibility", he
would say over and over..."perhaps".

They say that Carl Sagan only wrote one science fiction book, Contact.

Cosmos is one of the bestselling science books of all time!

Is it science fiction or non-fiction????

Perhaps it's really a science fiction book.

just a few Quotes from the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan:

In all the galaxies, there are
perhaps as many planets as stars

Perhaps many stars have planetary systems rather like
our own: at the periphery, great gaseous ringed planets and icy
moons, and nearer to the center, small, warm, blue-white, cloud-
covered worlds.

Perhaps some day we will know them.

Perhaps the origin and evolution of life is, given enough
time, a cosmic inevitability.

The fossil evidence could be consistent with the idea of a
Great Designer; perhaps some species are destroyed when the
Designer becomes dissatisfied with them, and new experiments
are attempted on an improved design.

We know from the fossil record that the origin of life
happened soon after, perhaps around 4.0 billion years ago, in the
ponds and oceans of the primitive Earth.

Perhaps there are
many other planets that today have abundant microbes but no
big beasts and vegetables.

Isaac Newton was perhaps
the greatest scientific genius who ever lived.

Perhaps it was
a spaceship of some unimaginably advanced extraterrestrial

And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus?

Perhaps there was an engineering failure just at the moment of
touchdown. Or perhaps there is something particularly danger-
ous about the Martian surface.

Perhaps there are large lifeforms on Mars, but not in our two
landing sites. Perhaps there are smaller forms in every rock and
sand grain.

perhaps even many of the same
basic molecules, such as proteins and nucleic acids—but put to-
gether in unfamiliar ways. Perhaps organisms that float in dense
planetary atmospheres will be very much like us in their atomic
composition, except they might not have bones and therefore
not need much calcium. Perhaps elsewhere some solvent other
than water is used.

Perhaps time itself
has many potential dimensions, despite the fact that we are con-
demned to experience only one of them.

magic gravity machine—a device with which we could control
the Earth’s gravity, perhaps by turning a dial.

But perhaps more interesting is the question of higher dimen-
sions. Could there be a fourth physical dimension?

I'm not even halfway with these "perhaps"/ uncertainty or possibility
quotes from this just one book Cosmos...

There is nothing in Carls Sagan book Cosmos that is truly non-fiction.

It's ALL science fintion!

magic gravity machine?

dats non-fiction, right? give me a break!

There is a higher fourth physical dimension.'...

That's the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, and challenge
the unchallengeable.

Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps

<um5rec$7qd4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128957&group=sci.physics.relativity#128957

From: Physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:32:59 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 05:32 UTC

On 12/22/2023 11:13 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
> perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus?

This "quote" doesn't make sense. Are you again playing around with what
Sagan said or didn't say? :)

Did you get your quotes, all, from Cosmos or did you use earlier stuff
published by him as well?

Cosmos was printed in 1980, a few years _after_ Russian probes on Venus
reported what was going on and that the possibility of life in those
condition were zilch.

Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps

<65868A4C.47CF@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128958&group=sci.physics.relativity#128958

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:20:44 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:20 UTC

Physfitfreak wrote:

> On 12/22/2023 11:13 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> > And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
> > perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus?
>
> This "quote" doesn't make sense. Are you again playing around with what
> Sagan said or didn't say? :)
>
> Did you get your quotes, all, from Cosmos or did you use earlier stuff
> published by him as well?
>
> Cosmos was printed in 1980, a few years _after_ Russian probes on Venus
> reported what was going on and that the possibility of life in those
> condition were zilch.

This post is about the word "perhaps". You're unable to focus.

Do I gotta post the whole book so you can get unfocus again?

The absence of anything to see on Venus led some scientists to
the curious conclusion that the surface was a swamp, like the
Earth in the Carboniferous Period. The argument—if we can
dignify it by such a word—went something like this:

“I can’t see a thing on Venus.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s totally covered with clouds.”

“What are clouds made of?”

“Water, of course.”

“Then why are the clouds of Venus thicker than the
clouds on Earth?”

“Because there’s more water there.”

“But if there is more water in the clouds, there must be
more water on the surface. What kind of surfaces are very-
wet:

swamps.

And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus? Observation: There was ab-
solutely nothing to see on Venus. Conclusion: It must be covered
with life. The featureless clouds of Venus reflected our own
predispositions. We are alive, and we resonate with the idea of
life elsewhere. But only careful accumulation and assessment of
the evidence can tell us whether a given world is inhabited.
Venus turns out not to oblige our predispositions.

Does that help you understand the word "perhaps"?

<65868A8E.72A2@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128959&group=sci.physics.relativity#128959

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:21:50 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 07:21 UTC

Physfitfreak wrote:

> On 12/22/2023 11:13 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> > And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
> > perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus?
>
> This "quote" doesn't make sense. Are you again playing around with what
> Sagan said or didn't say? :)
>
> Did you get your quotes, all, from Cosmos or did you use earlier stuff
> published by him as well?
>
> Cosmos was printed in 1980, a few years _after_ Russian probes on Venus
> reported what was going on and that the possibility of life in those
> condition were zilch.

This post is about the word "perhaps". You're unable to focus.

Do I gotta post the whole book so you can get unfocus again?

"The absence of anything to see on Venus led some scientists to
the curious conclusion that the surface was a swamp, like the
Earth in the Carboniferous Period. The argument—if we can
dignify it by such a word—went something like this:

“I can’t see a thing on Venus.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s totally covered with clouds.”

“What are clouds made of?”

“Water, of course.”

“Then why are the clouds of Venus thicker than the
clouds on Earth?”

“Because there’s more water there.”

“But if there is more water in the clouds, there must be
more water on the surface. What kind of surfaces are very-
wet:

swamps.

And if there are swamps, why not cycads and dragonflies and
perhaps even dinosaurs on Venus? Observation: There was ab-
solutely nothing to see on Venus. Conclusion: It must be covered
with life. The featureless clouds of Venus reflected our own
predispositions. We are alive, and we resonate with the idea of
life elsewhere. But only careful accumulation and assessment of
the evidence can tell us whether a given world is inhabited.
Venus turns out not to oblige our predispositions." -from the science fiction book Cosmos -Carl Sagan

<um653l$7v2j$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=128961&group=sci.physics.relativity#128961

From: Physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:17:56 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:17 UTC

On 12/22/2023 11:32 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> Cosmos was printed in 1980, a few years _after_ Russian probes on Venus
> reported what was going on and that the possibility of life in those
> condition were zilch.

Perhaps the above can be read to mean the opposite of what I was trying
to say. Here I reword it.

When Cosmos was printed, Russians had already investigated Venus's
atmosphere as well as surface by their probes. But what you, Star,
quoted indicates that Sagan didn't yet know about that, which is
impossible. Cause it was directly along his line of scientific work in
which he had like more than 500 papers!..

So, either you quoted it from an earlier Sagan work, at least 5 years
earlier than when Cosmos came out, or the quote itself is tampered with.

That was my point. I have no issues with your "perhaps" line of work :)

Re: Carl Sagan...perhaps

<658D2122.3355@ix.netcom.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129129&group=sci.physics.relativity#129129

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:17:54 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 07:17 UTC

furthermore, there is no category for earth science at the Noble Prize
department.

The Starmaker wrote:

> [...]
> the Earth’s gravity, perhaps by turning a dial.
>
> But perhaps more interesting is the question of higher dimen-
> sions. Could there be a fourth physical dimension?
>
> I'm not even halfway with these "perhaps"/ uncertainty or possibility
> quotes from this just one book Cosmos...
>
> There is nothing in Carls Sagan book Cosmos that is truly non-fiction.
>
> It's ALL science fintion!
>
> magic gravity machine?
>
> dats non-fiction, right? give me a break!
>
> There is a higher fourth physical dimension.'...
>
> That's the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!
>

> --
> The Starmaker -- To question the unquestionable, ask the unaskable,
> to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,
> and challenge the unchallengeable.

to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,

<gg1rqip8f75sa25cn4njh2topulrq6gqkl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129967&group=sci.physics.relativity#129967

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:20:37 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:20 UTC

Now, do yous know where Carl Sagan got the idea of
the title of the book..."Cosmos"????

Of course, he got the idea from...The Babylon's

(and probably the whole entire bible of theirs!)

Carl Sagan stole The Babylon's idea of their book,
which was
'the origin and the order of the universe as a whole'...
'the primary purpose of the universe'

and that is what Carl Sagan brought about in...Cosmos.

He finished The Babylon book.

He just omitted the 'people' stories in the book.

He focused on 'the origin and the order of the universe as a whole'.

stolen from the babylons.

like everybody else did..

except everybody else stole the 'people' ideas...

Dinosaurs on Venus???

is dat from the babylons or did he just made that up? embellish.

(he got bored with his own book)

Boy, dat Cosmos PBS TV series had to be the most boring show on
earth!!!

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:13:14 -0800, The Starmaker

<uokk59$osag$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=129974&group=sci.physics.relativity#129974

From: Physfitf...@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:33:12 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 02:33 UTC

On 1/21/2024 3:20 PM, The Starmaker wrote:
> Boy, dat Cosmos PBS TV series had to be the most boring show on
> earth!!!

Were you alive then?