From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Late 60's Silver Beauty Battery Charger
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 16:00:06 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:00 UTC

I picked this rusty old thing up, as-is, from someone for $5... I
figured it had at least that much worth of copper in it. After sitting
in my cellar for a few years, I decided to drag it out to deal with a
chronically dead battery.

The first picture is the before picture of the wires... yikes, bare
copper. That's really good quality stranded copper though, so I did up
the "electrical tape special"... it took two rolls, see center picture
for the finished product.

Surprisingly, it works like a charm. 6, 12, or 24V battery settings, as
well as slow automatic or fast manual charge. The gauge seems to work
as well. I assume this model would have been owned by a mechanic or an
auto parts store back in the day.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Px9X0sj

The only thing that I cannot figure out; what is the "polarity protector
safety light"? It was lit the whole time that I charged the battery. I
had the "red" clamp on the positive, and the "green" clamp on the
negative. The battery charged fine, so I don't know what was up with
that. The body was not otherwise marked which terminal was which.

Re: Late 60's Silver Beauty Battery Charger

<sq8253$kiu$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1295&group=rec.autos.tech#1295

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Late 60's Silver Beauty Battery Charger
Date: 25 Dec 2021 21:23:47 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:23 UTC

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>The only thing that I cannot figure out; what is the "polarity protector
>safety light"? It was lit the whole time that I charged the battery. I
>had the "red" clamp on the positive, and the "green" clamp on the
>negative. The battery charged fine, so I don't know what was up with
>that. The body was not otherwise marked which terminal was which.

It's a lamp in series with the battery to limit current in the event you
connect it backwards. Had you connected it backwards it would have been
lit much more brightly.
--scott

Re: Late 60's Silver Beauty Battery Charger

<sqcvqu$atf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=rec.autos.tech#1301

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:14:55 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:14 UTC

On 12/25/2021 16:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> The only thing that I cannot figure out; what is the "polarity protector
>> safety light"? It was lit the whole time that I charged the battery. I
>> had the "red" clamp on the positive, and the "green" clamp on the
>> negative. The battery charged fine, so I don't know what was up with
>> that. The body was not otherwise marked which terminal was which.
>
> It's a lamp in series with the battery to limit current in the event you
> connect it backwards. Had you connected it backwards it would have been
> lit much more brightly.
> --scott

Got it, thanks!