With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once build a nuclear balm?

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Microbes dominate Earth

SubjectAuthor
* Microbes dominate EarthFred Bloggs
+* Re: Microbes dominate EarthCursitor Doom
|`- Re: Microbes dominate EarthAnthony William Sloman
`* Re: Microbes dominate EarthJohn Larkin
 +* Re: Microbes dominate EarthJoe Gwinn
 |+* Re: Microbes dominate EarthJohn Larkin
 ||`- Re: Microbes dominate Eartha a
 |+* Re: Microbes dominate EarthCursitor Doom
 ||+- Re: Microbes dominate EarthAnthony William Sloman
 ||`- Re: Microbes dominate Eartha a
 |`- Re: Microbes dominate Eartha a
 +* Re: Microbes dominate EarthFred Bloggs
 |`- Re: Microbes dominate Eartha a
 `- Re: Microbes dominate Eartha a

1
Microbes dominate Earth

<333e9cbb-bc0f-4463-ac7b-843b8b3efdc0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130174&group=sci.electronics.design#130174

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Microbes dominate Earth
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 15:39 UTC

'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.

Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<3173ii5pbsibo6okg7gpq4ds59rv0h5qhb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130180&group=sci.electronics.design#130180

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Microbes dominate Earth
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 19:00:20 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:00 UTC

On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:53:08 -0700 (PDT), Anthony William Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 2:39:07?AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> '“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
>>
>> Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
>>
>> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
>
>There are lots of them around, but they don't have a lot of volition. Dominion does involve getting other organisms to do what you want.

Yes, and when we look around us today we can see that agenda being
actively pursued by those seeking to use the pretext of some 'climate
emergency' to get the plebs to make huge and very costly sacrifices
which will benefit them not one iota.

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<vs83iipgmh08d8lupg2m204706v8fai427@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130184&group=sci.electronics.design#130184

From: jl...@997arbor.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:35:35 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:35 UTC

On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
>
>Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
>
>https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth

Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors
were impossible. They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000
RPM.

The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cell
reproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<rma3iih1b0m06agan7kumptgjheso1k7cj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130185&group=sci.electronics.design#130185

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 15:02:18 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:35:35 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997arbor.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
>>
>>Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
>>
>>https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
>
>Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors
>were impossible. They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000
>RPM.

Flagella, I think.

>The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cell
>reproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.

Or 30,000 rpm.

My old rule on biological importance is that if you can see the
critter by eye alone, it is not important.

Joe Gwinn

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<66b3iid7fs3s1j4kcbkd24bb1p5j8tk2ca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130188&group=sci.electronics.design#130188

From: jl...@997arbor.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 12:13:35 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 19:13 UTC

On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 15:02:18 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:35:35 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997arbor.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
>>>
>>>Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
>>>
>>>https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
>>
>>Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors
>>were impossible. They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000
>>RPM.
>
>Flagella, I think.
>

>>The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cell
>>reproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.
>
>Or 30,000 rpm.
>
>My old rule on biological importance is that if you can see the
>critter by eye alone, it is not important.
>
>Joe Gwinn

Yeast is important. bread, beer, wine.

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<j5k3iipsgbqo9454bjp1jr8mhm4cjscv9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130190&group=sci.electronics.design#130190

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 22:43:37 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:43 UTC

wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:35:35 -0700, John Larkin <jl@997arbor.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>><bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
>>>
>>>Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
>>>
>>>https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
>>
>>Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors
>>were impossible. They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000
>>RPM.
>
>Flagella, I think.
>

>>The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cell
>>reproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.
>
>Or 30,000 rpm.
>
>My old rule on biological importance is that if you can see the
>critter by eye alone, it is not important.
>
>Joe Gwinn

Lyme disease much?

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<b36acf54-66f5-4ce7-97a8-f94c63965095n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130200&group=sci.electronics.design#130200

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 19:56:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 02:56 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 5:00:28 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:53:08 -0700 (PDT), Anthony William Sloman
> <bill....@ieee.org> wrote:
> >On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 2:39:07?AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> >> '“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks.. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
> >>
> >> Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
> >>
> >> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
> >
> >There are lots of them around, but they don't have a lot of volition. Dominion does involve getting other organisms to do what you want.
>
> Yes, and when we look around us today we can see that agenda being actively pursued by those seeking to use the pretext of some 'climate emergency' to get the plebs to make huge and very costly sacrifices which will benefit them not one iota.

Of course the more obvious example is the agenda being pursued by the fossil carbon extraction industry. who appreciate that climate change is real and likely to hit their cash flow hard, so they spend a lot of money on climate change denial propaganda. It has to be aimed at idiots like Cursitor Doom who haven't got the sense (or inhis case the motivation) to understand the extensive evidence that demonstrates that climate change is real.

Renewable energy is now cheaper than the energy you can get by burning fossil carbon so the switch to renewable sources will save money for the plebs, if not of the fossil carbon
extraction industry, who will still have a respectable business supply coal and oil to the petro-chemical industry - just not as lucrative as what they've got now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<365c9eed-02a6-43b2-bbbc-9a281e59ce5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130201&group=sci.electronics.design#130201

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 20:04:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 03:04 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 8:43:46 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 15:02:18 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joeg...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 11:35:35 -0700, John Larkin <j...@997arbor.com>
> >wrote:

> >>Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors were impossible.

As in elephants on wheels and screw-propellor-driven whales.

> >> They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000 RPM.

But you need very high resolution microscopy to see what's going on. which has only recently become available.

> >Flagella, I think.
> >
> >>The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cellreproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.
> >
> >Or 30,000 rpm.
> >
> >My old rule on biological importance is that if you can see the critter by eye alone, it is not important.
>
> Lyme disease much?

Borellia is caused by a spirochete, very like the one that causes syphilis. The spiral shape that gives the spiochete its name isn't the only one it can adopt, and the alternative shapes are useful in evading the immune system, as in secondary and tertiary syphilis (and borellia).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<ed1aa5bd-be5c-45b3-8c88-91d4060e62a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130224&group=sci.electronics.design#130224

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 07:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:30 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 2:35:58 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 08:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >'“We’re an aberration,” says Maureen O’Malley, a philosopher of microbiology at the University of Sydney, as one multicellular earthling talking to another. In the modern view of life, single-celled microbes — protists among them — dominate the planet. Big multicellular life-forms now look like the rare, outlier freaks. A 2018 comparison estimates that Earth’s protists account for twice the gigatons of carbon as all the animals put together. Add in other microbes, and together they hold 40 times the biomass.
> >
> >Earth was entirely a microbe’s world for some 2.5 billion years or more, the majority of life’s history, O’Malley points out. We big multicellulars evolved on the backs of microbe innovations. Just a few examples: The oxygenated atmosphere came from cyanobacteria photosynthesizing 2.7 billion years ago. Even today an estimated half of the oxygen we breathe comes from microbial sources, not from plants. And plants’ ability to generate oxygen came from engulfing the microbial technology we know as chloroplasts.'
> >
> >https://www.sciencenews.org/article/watch-microbial-life-earth
> Cool. Not so long ago biologists said that biological rotary motors
> were impossible. They are common, and I think one spins at 100,000
> RPM.
>
> The helicase gadget that splits our DNA strand during cell
> reproduction spins at about 10,000 RPM.

This is interesting:

https://www.learnbiomimicry.com/blog/best-biomimicry-examples

I had no idea slime mold could inform city planning. Very apropos.

Re: Microbes dominate Earth

<hLzUM.38840$8qf7.13774@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130235&group=sci.electronics.design#130235