From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 02:52:49 -0000 (UTC)
References: <sqdged$rg9$1@dont-email.me> <j2vdpqF39btU1@mid.individual.net> <sqe4bu$fsk$1@dont-email.me> <j2vna8F4u7pU1@mid.individual.net> <MPG.3c34f9103c7419f0989bcd@news.eternal-september.org> <SpIyJ.217360$AJ2.6723@fx33.iad> <j325drFj56aU1@mid.individual.net> <sqRyJ.170844$6a3.79328@fx41.iad> <at5osg9fvuqh8nm6ag2u3624co2mk241on@4ax.com> <sqia95$nnb$1@dont-email.me> <sqihab$c8l$1@dont-email.me> <Sz6zJ.242631$IW4.22929@fx48.iad> <sqj0ec$2s3$1@dont-email.me> <j34lm3F38taU1@mid.individual.net> <sqjgq2$7g0$1@dont-email.me> <j36i1oFeb9nU1@mid.individual.net> <sqleca$u6u$1@dont-email.me> <sqlujs$ca0$1@dont-email.me> <sqp1v7$pg0$1@dont-email.me> <sqq0ia$jmg$4@dont-email.me> <j3bk81Fd9kbU1@mid.individual.net> <sqqdfj$gq1$1@dont-email.me> <sqr0co$npv$1@dont-email.me>
 by: David LaRue - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 02:52 UTC

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote in news:sqr0co$npv$1@dont-email.me:

> On 1/1/2022 12:27 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> The Toyota does that unlock thing if the key is still in the
>>> ignition. Nice feature. Unlocking the hatch if you twist twice is
>>> nice too. Hatchbacks collect grime and I've had problems with the
>>> lock getting sticky.
>>
>> I hate that all the doors lock as soon as I start the engine with the
>> door closed -- I have to hit the unlock button again to let hubby
>> into the car.  OTOH, I might need that "safety" feature some day,
>> although it seems unlikely.  The manual shows how to defeat it...
>>
>>> The only remote entry car I've driven was a rental. The car got
>>> pissed off when I used the key to unlock the door so there I was
>>> trying to figure out how to shut it up. I really don't like walking
>>> through a parking lot and have some random car blow its horn to
>>> greet its owner.
>>
>> Mine just makes a little civilized beep and flashes the lights.  Not
>> good enough if you've forgotten where you parked.  No antenna to tie
>> surveyor's tape to either.  I've thought of getting some orange
>> plastic "racing stripes" to make it easier.  Hey, it's the 'Sport'
>> model with a spoiler, I'm entitled!
>

>> Worst was when I parked a rental car in the Vegas Costco lot and
>> couldn't remember where I'd parked it or what it looked like.  No,
>> wait, the REAL worst was finding my daughter's forest-green
>> Expedition (like 75% of the damn things) in the LA County Fair
>> parking lot.  Climbed light poles, etc.  Ultimately we got lucky,
>> but it took a LONG time.
>>

> Reminds me of a story about someone who had the mall security
> searching all the lots for a long time for their red Chevrolet. The
> punch line was "there's only one car like that in all the lot's, but
> it has a 16 foot canoe on top of it".

Many years ago when my parents had a light yellow Buick LeSabre I had
parked it at the mall. When I returned a few minutes later I got in and
couldn't start the car. Then I noticed the interior was right but the
articles in it weren't. Then I noticed my car diagonally across from
mine. As I got out and locked the car the owner came by. We both had a
laugh. At least the ignition key was different. The exterior locks
were the same.

Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<sqvels$h7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=rec.autos.tech#1310

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be
taught to high school students?
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:18:34 -0800
<sqe4bu$fsk$1@dont-email.me> <j2vna8F4u7pU1@mid.individual.net>
<MPG.3c34f9103c7419f0989bcd@news.eternal-september.org>
<SpIyJ.217360$AJ2.6723@fx33.iad> <j325drFj56aU1@mid.individual.net>
<sqRyJ.170844$6a3.79328@fx41.iad>
<at5osg9fvuqh8nm6ag2u3624co2mk241on@4ax.com> <sqia95$nnb$1@dont-email.me>
<sqihab$c8l$1@dont-email.me> <Sz6zJ.242631$IW4.22929@fx48.iad>
<sqj0ec$2s3$1@dont-email.me> <j34lm3F38taU1@mid.individual.net>
<sqjgq2$7g0$1@dont-email.me> <j36i1oFeb9nU1@mid.individual.net>
<sqleca$u6u$1@dont-email.me> <sqlujs$ca0$1@dont-email.me>
<sqp1v7$pg0$1@dont-email.me> <sqq0ia$jmg$4@dont-email.me>
<j3bk81Fd9kbU1@mid.individual.net> <sqqdfj$gq1$1@dont-email.me>
<sqr0co$npv$1@dont-email.me>
<XnsAE12DE849FD3Ahueydlltampabayrrcom@46.165.242.75>
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 18:18 UTC

On 01/01/2022 06:52 PM, David LaRue wrote:
> Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote in news:sqr0co$npv$1@dont-email.me:

>> Reminds me of a story about someone who had the mall security
>> searching all the lots for a long time for their red Chevrolet. The
>> punch line was "there's only one car like that in all the lot's, but
>> it has a 16 foot canoe on top of it".
>
> Many years ago when my parents had a light yellow Buick LeSabre I had
> parked it at the mall. When I returned a few minutes later I got in and
> couldn't start the car. Then I noticed the interior was right but the
> articles in it weren't. Then I noticed my car diagonally across from
> mine. As I got out and locked the car the owner came by. We both had a
> laugh. At least the ignition key was different. The exterior locks
> were the same.

The story about the guys who claimed a little old lady carjacked them...

We had a 55 Bel Air and a 58 Chevy pickup. Both used the same key.

--
Cheers, Bev
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software.