"If you can, help others. If you can't, at least don't hurt others." -- the Dalai Lama

tech / sci.electronics.design / Carbon-Sucking Concrete

SubjectAuthor
* Carbon-Sucking ConcreteFred Bloggs
+* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteAnthony William Sloman
|`* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteFred Bloggs
| `* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteLasse Langwadt Christensen
|  `- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteFred Bloggs
`* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteJohn Larkin
 +- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteFred Bloggs
 +* Re: Carbon-Sucking Concretewhit3rd
 |+* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteLasse Langwadt Christensen
 ||`- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteFred Bloggs
 |+* Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteJohn Larkin
 ||+- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteAnthony William Sloman
 ||`- Re: Carbon-Sucking Concretewhit3rd
 |`* Re: Carbon-Sucking Concretejohn larkin
 | `- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteAnthony William Sloman
 `- Re: Carbon-Sucking ConcreteAnthony William Sloman

1
Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<f708ec5a-8ab2-4a15-84a1-4b663d90ecf2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130966&group=sci.electronics.design#130966

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Carbon-Sucking Concrete
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:27 UTC

Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there....

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<23b3b71f-ff7e-4619-bf06-0541f1402525n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130968&group=sci.electronics.design#130968

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:47 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:27:46 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
> Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there....
>
> https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/

What's your problem with lally columns?

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/foundations/reviews/what-is-a-lally-column

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<27ad2899-f01a-4be0-b0ee-bdbe38dc3f48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130971&group=sci.electronics.design#130971

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:09:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:09 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:47:28 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:27:46 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
> > Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there...
> >
> > https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
> What's your problem with lally columns?
>
> https://www.thisoldhouse.com/foundations/reviews/what-is-a-lally-column

Those are actually temporary lally columns with adjustable screw jack at the base. Looks like a lot of the slabs can't support their own weight.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<5aecd3af-eea0-4fbd-99d5-b83c82c4f19an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130979&group=sci.electronics.design#130979

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:55 UTC

tirsdag den 17. oktober 2023 kl. 16.10.00 UTC+2 skrev Fred Bloggs:
> On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:47:28 AM UTC-4, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 12:27:46 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > > Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
> > > Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there...
> > >
> > > https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
> > What's your problem with lally columns?
> >
> > https://www.thisoldhouse.com/foundations/reviews/what-is-a-lally-column
> Those are actually temporary lally columns with adjustable screw jack at the base. Looks like a lot of the slabs can't support their own weight.

they are pouring the top slab, it can't carry it self until it is cured, the slabs can carry their own weight and their rated load, they are not meant to carry the slaps above

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<eictii1s3aelml52bqge44ot8727tmq7ss@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130980&group=sci.electronics.design#130980

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:15:16 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:15 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
>Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there...
>
>https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/

Yuk. Terrible writing.

How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<70739416-bffa-45bd-b7af-fd2c89b1c4c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130982&group=sci.electronics.design#130982

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 11:55:52 AM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> tirsdag den 17. oktober 2023 kl. 16.10.00 UTC+2 skrev Fred Bloggs:

> > > What's your problem with lally columns?
> > >
> > > https://www.thisoldhouse.com/foundations/reviews/what-is-a-lally-column
> > Those are actually temporary lally columns with adjustable screw jack at the base. Looks like a lot of the slabs can't support their own weight.
> >
> they are pouring the top slab, it can't carry it self until it is cured, the slabs can carry their own weight and their rated load, they are not meant to carry the slaps above

Looks like they're pouting slabs all over the place. Temporary bracing makes sense when they can't wait 30-days for a full cure between stages of construction.

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<e331cc0c-2eb7-4296-8984-8373a40e44edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130983&group=sci.electronics.design#130983

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:46 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 12:15:45 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Concrete industry may have found a substitute that entirely eliminates the requirement for Portland Cement binder. The process for producing Portland Cement is high temperature and extremely energy intensive, resulting in lots of CO2 emission. Ironically the new process uses "novel calcium silicate formulations generated from waste materials such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants.” This is not entirely new since the concrete industry has been using fly ash in their mixes forever. It conserves Portland Cement, which is relatively pricey compared to the other ingredients, and the fly ash makes the final product significantly stronger than a mix without it. And even that technique is not entirely new since it simply leverages the several thousand year old discovery by the Romans that volcanic ash strengthened their final product.
> >Article doesn't put any numbers on their 'carbon sucking' performance, probably because it's fairly modest. Even conventional concrete absorbs CO2 from the air. The picture of the one construction product using the new concrete does not instill confidence with all the lally columns they have there...
> >
> >https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
> Yuk. Terrible writing.
>
> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?

You would think they would have convection fins on the exterior the absorption was so good.

Speaking of which, they have found corrugation patterns together with specialty reflective paints significantly reduce heat gain of the structure. That would be heat gain due to sun.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/corrugated-concrete-walls-cover-this-house-in-texas--179299628903138349/

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<936bd732-6af3-433f-bd96-4f86cefe727bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130989&group=sci.electronics.design#130989

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:12 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
> Yuk. Terrible writing.
>
> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?

By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
a vacuum.

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<1b75d4f9-f546-48d9-9126-ecaba7f552f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130990&group=sci.electronics.design#130990

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:49:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:49 UTC

onsdag den 18. oktober 2023 kl. 02.12.05 UTC+2 skrev whit3rd:
> On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> > <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
> > Yuk. Terrible writing.
> >
> > How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
> By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
> Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
> a vacuum.

afaiu carbonation of concrete only happens at certain humidities and in many cases
it is a bad thing because it causes steel reinforcement to rust

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<mbguii9rnue6n101kemf68uelcp1on43u4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130992&group=sci.electronics.design#130992

From: jl...@997PotHill.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:24:47 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 02:24 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:12:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45?AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
>> Yuk. Terrible writing.
>>
>> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
>
>By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
>Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
>a vacuum.

The spaces between the walls and the concrete will soon be depleted of
CO2.

And concrete needs a fireproofing coating.

It's a silly idea.

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<2efc1fa3-6049-4a9a-adb3-2ae2f1efc790n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130994&group=sci.electronics.design#130994

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 02:38 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 3:15:45 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?

Concrete is porous, and CO2 can diffuse through it and get absorbed quite rapidly. Hydrogen famously diffuses through solid steel and glass, as you;d know if you'd ever been involved in high vacuum work. It doesn't go fast, or in huge volumes, but it keep on coming in.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<6e0a4878-244e-4a06-a277-f54fd9321f25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=130995&group=sci.electronics.design#130995

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 02:42 UTC

On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 1:25:15 PM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:12:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45?AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> >> Yuk. Terrible writing.
> >>
> >> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
> >
> >By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
> >Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in a vacuum.
>
> The spaces between the walls and the concrete will soon be depleted of CO2.

They won't. The walls are even more porous than the the concretre
> And concrete needs a fireproofing coating.

Which is also going to be porous/
> It's a silly idea.

Which is to say that John Larkin is too silly to know that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<d84911f3-d82f-4bd3-b2d0-29893870bf21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131005&group=sci.electronics.design#131005

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 08:04:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:04 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 8:49:37 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> onsdag den 18. oktober 2023 kl. 02.12.05 UTC+2 skrev whit3rd:
> > On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> > > Yuk. Terrible writing.
> > >
> > > How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
> > By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
> > Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
> > a vacuum.
> afaiu carbonation of concrete only happens at certain humidities and in many cases
> it is a bad thing because it causes steel reinforcement to rust

A fairly recent study out of Northeastern U. found that the planned lifetime of just about all the bare concrete infrastructure should be derated to 60% of the original projections. And that's just due to higher atmospheric CO2, combines with H2O to form carbonic acid which corrodes the steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_degradation

There is advanced sealing technology that can prevent this, but it might not be practical everywhere since it must be refreshed periodically, and there's nothing it can do for structures already damaged. They need to go to fiber rebar in new builds.

In the meantime, the carbon fiber & epoxy concrete repair industry is taking off, and it's not just little stuff they can fix. It's very attractive to localities for staving off expensive infrastructure repairs that are becoming more and more frequent.

https://compositeenvisions.com/document/carbon-fiber-concrete-repair-an-unlikely-but-very-compatible-duo/

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<92fc4d6a-ff6c-4333-b7f8-9f1d8acdf2can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131016&group=sci.electronics.design#131016

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:23 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 7:25:15 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:12:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45?AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> >> Yuk. Terrible writing.
> >>
> >> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
> >
> >By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
> >Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
> >a vacuum.
> The spaces between the walls and the concrete will soon be depleted of
> CO2.

Nah; minerals absorbing CO2 are slow, diffusion of atmospheric gasses is fast.

> And concrete needs a fireproofing coating.

You're thinking of wood. In terms of fire resistance, concrete IS the fireproofing (actually,
time delay of failure) for many steel structures.

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<hac0jihri6pbbhut2nn42ahlho8dvfldp8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131017&group=sci.electronics.design#131017

From: jl...@650pot.com (john larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:28:41 -0700
 by: john larkin - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:28 UTC

wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45?AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 06:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/11/carbon-capture-pipeline-rendered-obsolete-by-carbon-sucking-concrete/
>> Yuk. Terrible writing.
>>
>> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
>
>By diffusion of the gas into the surface?

Through walls? How much is that going to Save The Earth? Probably not
a picokelvin.

>Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in
>a vacuum.

Re: Carbon-Sucking Concrete

<38fa22a2-90d4-4e8d-9b60-07a78f80910fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=131038&group=sci.electronics.design#131038

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Anthony William Sloman)
 by: Anthony William Slom - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 04:15 UTC

On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 6:29:00 AM UTC+11, john larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:12:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 9:15:45?AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> >> Yuk. Terrible writing.
> >>
> >> How can the interior structure of a building continue to absorb CO2?
> >
> >By diffusion of the gas into the surface?
>
> Through walls? How much is that going to Save The Earth? Probably not a picokelvin.

As if John Larkin had a clue,

> >Interior structure doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but it's not in a vacuum.

Far from it. Fires depend on oxygen, but the insides of a building burn merrily even when the oxygen has to diffuse in through the walls.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney