Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 06:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MSI Prospect 700R Sata Power Cable (connect to separate SATA power
cable/port on power supply?)
From: skybuckf...@gmail.com (Skybuck Flying)
 by: Skybuck Flying - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:06 UTC

I am almost done building my/Skybuck's Super PC for 2023. I am trying to figure out how to write-up this new personal computer.

So far I have documented 21 cables !

The only thing I am currently wondering about is the following:

Should I use a single 6 pin-to-4-sata power connectors to connect two harddisks and the PC Case Fan Controller Board + LCD panel ?!

Or is it smarter/safer to connect the PC Case Fan Controller Board + LCD Panel to it's own SATA power cable ? (There is only one sata power cable coming from this controller board, so I assume the ventilators and LCD are powered by the same sata power cable and not buy the additional usb cables connecting to motherboard ? Though there are also USB and ARGB cables from the controller board to the motherboard ? Should I connect them too ? I assume so ? And I assume that these are maybe only for "control" and not power ?)

Could MSI maybe explain better why USB and ARGB cables to motherboard are necessary to ? At least the ones that seem to be ment for ventilators, but maybe I am just a little bit confused about.

Anyway I also have some feedback about your MEG Ai1300P PCIE5 power supply. While the power supply is MODULAR, the SATA power cables ARE NOT, ironically enough.

So if I only need 1 or 2 sata power cables, there would be 3 and 4 dangling, because each cable comes with 4 sata connectors.

Maybe something to consider for in the future, maybe somehow modular power cables or maybe even some extra to only have 1 or 2 sata power connectors for easier cable management.

However the power supply already came with a huge ammount of cables ! ;)

Anyway thanks for now, I think I can manage it thanks to plenty of space behind in the MSI MEG Prospect 700R case.

In case I don't get an answer, I will probably 99.9% sure use TWO power sata cables, so TWO power ports from the Power Supply ?!

I am curious if this will make the Power Supply work harder, or easier, or if it doesn't matter ?! Which options would delivery the best/smoothest power to the harddisks ?!

I want the harddisk operating as smmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooottthhly as possible and have the best possible/stable/smooth power delivery ! ;) =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.